• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

ataraxia

International Coach
Was looking forward to Macewell–Santner–Sodhi, damn. On the plus side, he's probably out for the Bangladesh tests too – Rachin might get another chance.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Was looking forward to Macewell–Santner–Sodhi, damn. On the plus side, he's probably out for the Bangladesh tests too – Rachin might get another chance.
Noooo! Stop trying to make Rachin a bits n' pieces alrounder plz!!! If they want to give Rachin a crack at opening/batting at 3, then fine. Though I really don't think he has the number in domestics to justify such a move.

ataraxia

International Coach
Noooo! Stop trying to make Rachin a bits n' pieces alrounder plz!!! If they want to give Rachin a crack at opening/batting at 3, then fine. Though I really don't think he has the number in domestics to justify such a move.
Don't worry, I've got a perilous bookshelf in the away dressing room at Canterbury (the Kent town, that is) ready to topple "accidentally" tonight. You just know how amenable Stead and co. will be to an efficient kill two birds with one stone mindset as to replacing Latham and Macewell.

OnTheBank

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Coming off a dire Ford Trophy in which he made no runs and barely bowled, but might still be the best option. Suspect they'll pick McConchie though.
To be fair, if you split his season between pre and post early December they look like different campaigns. His initial run right after coming back was a bit ****. Really warmed into things well after that

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Rachin did decently in the Pak tour, isn't it? I think he will be first in the line as Macewell's replacement for the world cup.

Flem274*

123/5
I'm fine with McConchie tbh. He was in the form of his life last summer in red ball, was respectable for NZ and gives off Elliott vibes.

I know we all hate Canterbury because it is a bad place of bad people who keep winning all the sports competitions but McConchie would be a pretty sensible selection if we want to retain the spin bowling allrounder spot. Ravindra is an opening batsman and we won't thank ourselves in 5 years for mashing him into a bits and pieces role.

The alternative is switching balance and picking Josh Clarkson but the selectors clearly don't rate him and we'd be putting a lot of trust in his body to bowl for multiple ODIs and bowl well. He is/was talented with the ball but hasn't really stamped his authority with it yet and keeps getting niggles that prevent his development.

Still the best white ball player outside the squad though, and better than several in it. He should take the money and leave NZ while he's still young.

Flem274*

123/5
Tbh if an NZ lacking KW somehow makes the final and it takes multiple umpire Warriors reffing calls and some fineprint bull**** to rob NZ of the WC again, the opposition should just move to Siberia in shame.

vandem

International 12th Man
I'm fine with McConchie tbh. He was in the form of his life last summer in red ball, was respectable for NZ and gives off Elliott vibes.

I know we all hate Canterbury because it is a bad place of bad people who keep winning all the sports competitions but McConchie would be a pretty sensible selection if we want to retain the spin bowling allrounder spot. Ravindra is an opening batsman and we won't thank ourselves in 5 years for mashing him into a bits and pieces role....
McConchie OK but affects the mix for best playing XI.

Macewell was an option to bowl 6+ overs as 5th bowler, top up from Mitchell / Phillips, with Santner + 3 quicks. Meant Macewell + Santner batting #7 #8. Batting deep, allows Mitchell / Chapman / Phillips to take more risks to increase SR.

McConchie I think more of a 3-4 over 6th bowler, so perhaps Santner + Sodhi + 3 quicks now the best playing XI option, and Santner + Sodhi at #7 #8 doesn't have the threat of the Macewell + Santner option.

I assume Neesh a good chance to take 15th squad spot due to experience, and possible 5th bowler option (he can bowl short balls / wide yorkers at death) in a 2 quicks + Santner + Sodhi + all-rounders attack.