• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
McConchie OK but affects the mix for best playing XI.

Macewell was an option to bowl 6+ overs as 5th bowler, top up from Mitchell / Phillips, with Santner + 3 quicks. Meant Macewell + Santner batting #7 #8. Batting deep, allows Mitchell / Chapman / Phillips to take more risks to increase SR.

McConchie I think more of a 3-4 over 6th bowler, so perhaps Santner + Sodhi + 3 quicks now the best playing XI option, and Santner + Sodhi at #7 #8 doesn't have the threat of the Macewell + Santner option.

I assume Neesh a good chance to take 15th squad spot due to experience, and possible 5th bowler option (he can bowl short balls / wide yorkers at death) in a 2 quicks + Santner + Sodhi + all-rounders attack.
In ODIs Macewell is not a 5th bowler imho. 6th definitely.

vandem

International 12th Man
In ODIs Macewell is not a 5th bowler imho. 6th definitely.
Macewell has often been the 5th ODI bowler in the last 12 months, and no reason he wasn't the preferred 5th bowler option for World Cup.

In India Jan 2023, attack was 3 seamers + Santner + Macewell, 6th Mitchell (7th Phillips not used). Sodhi injured.

In Pak Jan 2023, 3 seamers + Santner + Macewell or 2 seamers + Santner + Sodhi + Macewell, 6th Phillips (7th Mitchell not used).

Vs India Nov 2022, 4 seamers + Santner or 3 seamers + Santner + Macewell, 6th Mitchell, (7th Phillips not used).

In Aust Sep 2022, 3 seamers + Santner + Neesham, 6th Macewell.

In WI Aug 2022, 3 seamers + Santner + Macewell, 6th Neesham, (7th Mitchell not used). Sodhi in squad but not played.

NZTailender

I just don't think we should rely on him in the core 5. Think he's a great batting all rounder but feel like he should be the one called upon if one of the 5 bowling options isn't working, and not the other way around. We'd have a stronger bowling outfit for it.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He's not playing anyway so probably a pointless argument, but is your alternative proposal to have Santner bat 7? I think it was very much looking like Macewell would bat 7 and Mitchell/Phillips would be the 6th/7th bowler.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
I just don't think we should rely on him in the core 5. Think he's a great batting all rounder but feel like he should be the one called upon if one of the 5 bowling options isn't working, and not the other way around. We'd have a stronger bowling outfit for it.
He’a definitely a fifth bowler in the subcontinent and even possibly a fourth if conditions suit. (The second ODI in Pakistan in January comes to mind, he was a nightmare for the lefthanders during the chase on a turning track). His particular skillset is a loss for a WC in India. Really not a fan of having to depend in Sodhi as Santner’s support.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
He's a guy in your 5 best options in ODIs, without question. His average might be high, but his RPO is very, very good when you couple that he is one of our few genuinely good death hitters. Having him spinning it one way and Santner another would've been a really handy asset in the sub-continent. My issue with Ish isn't necessarily that he's erratic (I think he's improved since he lengthened his run up) but he spins it the same way as Santner, which if they're bowling to LHers on not big Indian grounds, will be hard to defend.

NZTailender

Wagner’s still keen for another crack at the WTC. Colour me sceptical, but really hope his rehab gives his bowling a new lease on life and we get to see him rage against the dying of the light for a couple more years.
I really hope it gives him a new lease on cricketing life. If it allows him to revert to pre 2022 type bowling, he'd be invaluable as no one else in the team can do what he can do.

Wagner finding new strength and ways to build muscles is like adding a rocket launcher to a tank.

CartyDurham

International Captain
I’m a fan of Durham in the uk and we’ve had a number of New Zealand stars over the years

my favourite was Ross Taylor as he was an absolute gent with the Mrs and I before a T20 match when we had a chat about his career and time at Durham

and of course Ben Stokes who is a Durham player originated from New Zealand. Was lucky to meet his mother and father at a T20 game around 2010 when Ben was a young lad making his way

I didn’t know it was his mam and dad as we sat next to them but I said “look out for the ginger lad as he is going to be a star”

his mam and dad really liked that and thanked me, then explained who they were

thank god I was right :laugh:

RMBolton

U19 Debutant
I don't know if it's just me, but I see Josh Clarkson getting called up this summer. I'd always had the vibe that he was fighting Neesham to get in, & with him spending another 2023-4 out of the country again, I can see him getting called up for the white ball stuff over the holidays against Bangladesh (& Pakistan?). I'm scratching my head to think of who else could fill that spot with Neesham gone; I can't think of too many others, & Clarkson is certainly front of the queue. Hell, if Jimmy goes to the PSL again, Clarkie might even play the Australia T20s & press his case for the T20WC.

Flem274*

123/5
I don't know if it's just me, but I see Josh Clarkson getting called up this summer. I'd always had the vibe that he was fighting Neesham to get in, & with him spending another 2023-4 out of the country again, I can see him getting called up for the white ball stuff over the holidays against Bangladesh (& Pakistan?). I'm scratching my head to think of who else could fill that spot with Neesham gone; I can't think of too many others, & Clarkson is certainly front of the queue. Hell, if Jimmy goes to the PSL again, Clarkie might even play the Australia T20s & press his case for the T20WC.
I don't think he stands a chance until we get a new coach. They've made it pretty clear with their silence that they think he's not all that.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, that home series against SL would have been an ideal time to give him a go.

RMBolton

U19 Debutant
I don't think he stands a chance until we get a new coach. They've made it pretty clear with their silence that they think he's not all that.
Well, in saying this I've already made the assumption that Stead finishes at the WC. If my assumption is wrong, then I don't know.

Yeah, that home series against SL would have been an ideal time to give him a go.
With Neesham around it wasn't happening unless he comes in for Ravindra (who probably would've played for NZ A if not for RCB signing up Beastie).

I always found it rather curious that the reason they said he lost his contract was that he was being seen as a T20-only player, meanwhile he continued to play the bulk of the ODIs. A bit of an eyebrow raiser. Also, with him having lost his contract instead of handing his in, he felt a lot more available. Certainly if RR hadn't dropped him/some other IPL team picked him up, it could've cleared the way for Clarkson.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Is anyone else finding the TVNZ app to be hot garbage for playing the cricket? Friday night it kept crashing (just ended up watching it on the Spark app for the last night it was available) and then last night, if I wanted to stop playing for a bit and then go back, the video would update to the live action but the sound kept playing from the last point I was watching.

NZTailender

Is anyone else finding the TVNZ app to be hot garbage for playing the cricket? Friday night it kept crashing (just ended up watching it on the Spark app for the last night it was available) and then last night, if I wanted to stop playing for a bit and then go back, the video would update to the live action but the sound kept playing from the last point I was watching.
Yeah it's not handling it great, I wonder if it's due to extra demand? That said, after some initial problems for 5 to 10 minutes I had good streams until I went to bed.

Very far behind people watching on other platforms though.