• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official - Road to Ashes 2023

halba

International 12th Man
Let's just take a look at the respective lineups before saying one batting lineup is better, right?

Khawaja>Ducket, Don't need to explain this, LOL

Warner>Crawley Warner averages 27 opening in england, crawley averages 23 opening in england, warner is a far better player overall

Marnus>Pope Don't think this is a serious debate either

Smith=Root. You can probably make an argument for either at the moment and i'de believe you. Smith is better on career numbers, and since the start of the last ashes in england is averaging 56 compared to root's 52. But if you go after the 2019 ashes (which I think is fairier, given that smith clearly got worked out after that at home vs NZ and struggled a bit more) root averages 55 compared to 46 for smith.

Brook>Head I could see an argument being made for head but he doesn't have the away runs to validate this. Neither have played in typical english conditions since hitting their straps in test cricket so not sure how to do this, gonna give it to brook for generosities sake.

Green>Stokes. Stokes has the ability to play more impactful innings but green has a much better domestic FC batting record in a harder comp, and since green's debut green averages 37.7, Stokes averages 30.5.

Bairstow>Carey No real debate here.

Both tails are dog**** unless england play woakes or curran at 8, which I don't see them doing in the 1st test.

Australia are clearly better, maybe a bit closer if you put root ahead of smith which I could see. This lineup is also being a bit generous given that england may play woakes at 7 if stokes can't bowl, so think that evens out the root/smith factor.
Woakes not much room for him in the XI- Stokes is a key part of the batting unit and is the captain of the team...unless one of the bowlers is injured

Note Robinson injured again so the injuries to the fast bowling unit has made the series a fairly close call. If england's pacers were all fully fit and firing i'd give them a clear advantage.

"But if it was an encouraging Saturday for Australian hopes, there was much more concern for England when their in-form fast bowler Ollie Robinson failed to take the field after lunch for Sussex, suffering from a sore left ankle."

Sussex coach Paul Farbrace reported later: "Ollie has a sore left ankle and he will be scanned on Monday to see how bad he is. We knew it was sore yesterday."

Based on the above it is a close series. This isnt like the Indian series where, for the first two tests Aussie batters were all at sea sweeping against the very high quality spin of Jadeja and Ashwin.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
All coming apart for England. On the back of Smith making runs, Marnus tons up again and Robinson now has an injury. My already conservative 4-0 to Aus prediction looking very good value now. This one really is done

halba

International 12th Man
All coming apart for England. On the back of Smith making runs, Marnus tons up again and Robinson now has an injury. My already conservative 4-0 to Aus prediction looking very good value now. This one really is done
its possible depending on injuries. anderson, robinson are the key. Also Broad, 36 years isnt exactly a young man for a fast bowler. No Jofra archer. Woakes is just returning from a very long injury layoff. Leach, the spinner isnt a threat to Aus- Aus main weakness is spin as we saw in the subcontinent and the final test in SL series.

Eng will struggle against the seam/swing of Cummins/ Neser/ Boland/Starc at the very minimum

Burgey

They were gone at full strength. It’ll be a capitulation if each of Archer and Robinson doesn’t play.

Burgey

The highlight of any Ashes sub forum is always the drop off in posters from the lesser cricketing nations. Sure they pop in now and again to dribble something idiotic, but it’s nothing like what we have to tolerate in normal cricket chat.

Last edited:

Shady Slim

International Coach
Let's just take a look at the respective lineups before saying one batting lineup is better, right?

Khawaja>Ducket, Don't need to explain this, LOL

Warner>Crawley Warner averages 27 opening in england, crawley averages 23 opening in england, warner is a far better player overall

Marnus>Pope Don't think this is a serious debate either

Smith=Root. You can probably make an argument for either at the moment and i'de believe you. Smith is better on career numbers, and since the start of the last ashes in england is averaging 56 compared to root's 52. But if you go after the 2019 ashes (which I think is fairier, given that smith clearly got worked out after that at home vs NZ and struggled a bit more) root averages 55 compared to 46 for smith.

Brook>Head I could see an argument being made for head but he doesn't have the away runs to validate this. Neither have played in typical english conditions since hitting their straps in test cricket so not sure how to do this, gonna give it to brook for generosities sake.

Green>Stokes. Stokes has the ability to play more impactful innings but green has a much better domestic FC batting record in a harder comp, and since green's debut green averages 37.7, Stokes averages 30.5.

Bairstow>Carey No real debate here.

Both tails are dog**** unless england play woakes or curran at 8, which I don't see them doing in the 1st test.

Australia are clearly better, maybe a bit closer if you put root ahead of smith which I could see. This lineup is also being a bit generous given that england may play woakes at 7 if stokes can't bowl, so think that evens out the root/smith factor.
i am as much of a one eyed aussie as the next bloke but you could easily argue khawaja>crawley, duckett>warner, stokes>green, and then on this "versus" analysis it is suddenly england 4.5-2.5

TheJediBrah

I know he's got potential but right now Green > Stokes is a bit of a ridiculous call

Unless it's taking into account Stokes not bowling

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
i am as much of a one eyed aussie as the next bloke but you could easily argue khawaja>crawley, duckett>warner, stokes>green, and then on this "versus" analysis it is suddenly england 4.5-2.5
What's the argument for stokes>Green in tests right now, purely as batsmen? Green has better career stats, better FC stats and Green averages a significantly more since he debuted. Stokes obviously has a higher ceiling and his peak around the 2019 ashes and 2020 SA tour is better than what Green has achieved so far but that peak is long gone. Best case right now green=Stokes as a batsmen.

Spark

Global Moderator
What's the argument for stokes>Green in tests right now, purely as batsmen? Green has better career stats, better FC stats and Green averages a significantly more since he debuted. Stokes obviously has a higher ceiling and his peak around the 2019 ashes and 2020 SA tour is better than what Green has achieved so far but that peak is long gone. Best case right now green=Stokes as a batsmen.
Green has one (1) hundred in Tests. Ceiling talk is fine but achievements are another thing entirely

TheJediBrah

Remember Stokes' hundred at Perth in 2013? That was like his 2nd test and was better than anything Green has done in, what, 3 years?

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Remember Stokes' hundred at Perth in 2013? That was like his 2nd test and was better than anything Green has done in, what, 3 years?
Green has plenty of quality knocks. His 80 odd in the 3rd test against a reversing ball to get AUS a solid first innings total, 80 odd against wood-broad-robinson on an Adelaide green top vs the pink ball under lights, his 80 odd against SL on an absolute dust bowl where the ball was turning square from day 1 to help AUS draw a series in SL.

None of those are as good as stokes Perth knock, but their all quality innings. Like I said above, stokes has a higher ceiling. I can't imagine green pulling off Headingly, or stokes 250 in SA. But stokes isn't the cricketer who was consistently doing that kind of crap in 2019-2020.

TheJediBrah

Green has plenty of quality knocks. His 80 odd in the 3rd test against a reversing ball to get AUS a solid first innings total, 80 odd against wood-broad-robinson on an Adelaide green top vs the pink ball under lights, his 80 odd against SL on an absolute dust bowl where the ball was turning square from day 1 to help AUS draw a series in SL.

None of those are as good as stokes Perth knock, but their all quality innings. Like I said above, stokes has a higher ceiling. I can't imagine green pulling off Headingly, or stokes 250 in SA. But stokes isn't the cricketer who was consistently doing that kind of crap in 2019-2020.
My 80 year old grandmother could pull off headingly with half the amount of luck Stokes had that game

Shady Slim

International Coach
was out at cricket training but spark and tjb p much covered it