• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka in New Zealand 2022/23

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Henry had some stitches in the webbing between thumb and index finger apparently. He’s down to bowl today, but hope that’s no impediment for the 2nd test.

Was yesterday the last we’ll see of Wagner in the NZ shirt?

Flem274*

123/5
Tickner's best and worst are so far apart.

He's fine as a project in a 5 man attack that includes a real spinner and CdG imo. Still not my first choice because we have a guy who can do a Tickner best most days (Ferguson), but since we give him so much stick I think it's only fair to recognise his ceiling.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't catch Tickner's spells yesterday, how does everyone think he bowled? I've seen the wicket-balls which weren't anything particularly special, but he also kept the runs down so possibly a lot more accurate than the first innings?

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Tickner's best and worst are so far apart.

He's fine as a project in a 5 man attack that includes a real spinner and CdG imo. Still not my first choice because we have a guy who can do a Tickner best most days (Ferguson), but since we give him so much stick I think it's only fair to recognise his ceiling.
Yeah you can have a WILDCARD rooster/predator type if you have backup, agreed. If find it hilarious I've seen Tickner bowl spells everywhere from about 127km/h to 146km/h.

I said yesterday this side still has 7 good players, with the other 4 (Tickner, Macewell, Nicholls, Wagner obv) providing sporadic contributions at best and being actively detrimental at worst (bleeding huge runs and whatever the hell it was Macewell did last test). Four of these is too many. Most good sides will always have one or two players in a form rut or as development projects, but you can't have four.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Hmm, Dougeh...

On the one hand, he deserves to be in the side more than ****ing Kuggeleijn and also current Wagner and arguably Tickner.

On the other hand, a bit like Santner imo, we know what his bowling provides at test level and it's not quite test standard. It probably won't be terrible, but it also won't provide any kind of wicket-taking edge to actually win matches. So given that, can he contribute enough with the bat to deserve a spot as this semi-allrounder thing that CDG invented? We already have Macewell trying to do that so I'm not sure we need another, it risks weakening the bowling too much.

Australia has the 'no more than one Victorian in the side' rule, I think NZ might need the 'no more than one Bracewell in the side' rule tbh.

With Dacewell, Duffy and Shipley imo as the three domestix bowlers pushing for a spot that are actually fit, I would have gone Shipley.

Last edited:

Meridio

International Regular
Tickner clearly does have the ability to bowl some good balls, but it's the consistency that kills him, and a lot of that is down to his action imo. He often loses a lot of height at point of delivery, becomes more roundarm rather than over the top, and his left arm gets into a bit of a strange position. The chicken arms in the runup probably don't help either; all up it's just a bit jerky and not very repeatable. You'd think our bowling coaches would've been ironing this stuff out over time...but, you know, we somehow seem to be lacking that.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Tickner's been pretty good this morning, from what I've seen. Main thing is he hasn't erred in line, nearly always on or just outside offstump, no legside trash or short and wide like in the first innings. Length more variable and only bowling low 130s, but doing a good job.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Regular
Oh wow I didn't realise Mathews is in his 101st test match, one of those players that stays under the radar ..He's been a cracking middle order player for Sri Lanka .

Flem274*

123/5
Matthews is one of those azhar ali kinda players who's probably not gonna get remembered in 20 years but is very good. Not an ATG or a flashy/defining ATVG like ross taylor or kevin pietersen, but still very, very good.
It's because he's Sri Lankan in a modest SL side. Imagine him playing for the Big 3.

He's a superb batsman and he can also trundle pretty well. Comfortably makes every side in the world.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Pick two of three from de Silva, Samaraweera and Mathews in the all time Sri Lanka xi at 5 and 6. I haven't looked it up but I suspect Mathews has the better all round record of the three...

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
What would be a par chase? This pitch hasn't flattened into a typical Hagley road though it's by no means a minefield either. 250?

Binkley

U19 Captain
Dougie isn’t a terrible pick based on recent form, but he is a terrible pick based on the fact that he is yet another white, 30-something with a very average first-class record (and worse test record) and the right connections. As someone said earlier, “his face fits”. And I want to see some different faces please and thank you.