• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2023

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
There has been no conditions let up for Kohli in this surreal run but I can only defend him so much when nearly everyone in his team is outperforming him at home.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Should probably have been playing for his spot 12 months ago. **** me, people **** on about Kane being a htb and a minnow basher but at least he still gets on the scoreboard some of the time.
When Kohli was at his peak in 2014-18, him and Shastri would drop other batsmen in the team out of the blue after 1-2 bad games. Established guys like Pujara even.

In the last few years since he's started sucking balls, the team management has suddenly discovered this philosophy of "keeping faith" in veterans. Whole thing smells. Its like they kept rahane around to make Kohli look less bad. Now there's no hiding place.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
When Kohli was at his peak in 2014-18, him and Shastri would drop other batsmen in the team out of the blue after 1-2 bad games. Established guys like Pujara even.

In the last few years since he's started sucking balls, the team management has suddenly discovered this philosophy of "keeping faith" in veterans. Whole thing smells. Its like they kept rahane around to make Kohli look less bad. Now there's no hiding place.
Obviously hired Gary Stead as a selection consultant.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hey
If Australia get these runs and make it 2-1 it'll be Axar so far the MAJOR difference due to him being involved in crucial partnerships in both the 1st & 2nd test when India were in trouble.

Yes,India's bowlers have given Australia diarrhea throughout the tour but Axar broke their hearts and turned the series around with the bat.
His contribution with the bat is undeniable but he’s little more than a club level bowler in most countries

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Eh if it was 110-120id say India have a small chance. 75 is a miserable target that probably wouldn't be defended on an early 1900s sticky.
If India defend 75 it will be the lowest Test Score successfully defended in the history of Test Cricket .

The record is 85 runs defended by Australia against England at The Oval in 1882 . England were bowled out for 77. Fred the Demon Spofforth the wrecker in chief , 14 wickets in the match ...Bizarrely for such a small total of 77 he conceded 44 runs for his 7/44 lol.

Starfighter

Eh if it was 110-120id say India have a small chance. 75 is a miserable target that probably wouldn't be defended on an early 1900s sticky.
I'm still gonna be bloody nervous considering Australia have folded incredibly quickly several innings this tour.

With respect to Kohli, I still find his decline unfathomable, how hard and long it's been. He was so bloody good then just stopped. He's only 34 too and if he was in good form could have another three or so years. But yeah, that his spot isn't in question is even more mystifying than David Warner's not being, as India have more obvious candidates to replace him.

I still remember all the proclamations that he was back when he played that shot of Rauf at Melbourne, especially from the outrageously obsequious Australian media.

Spark

Global Moderator
I'm still gonna be bloody nervous considering Australia have folded incredibly quickly several innings this tour.

With respect to Kohli, I still find his decline unfathomable, how hard and long it's been. He was so bloody good then just stopped. He's only 34 too and if he was in good form could have another three or so years. But yeah, that his spot isn't in question is even more mystifying than David Warner's not being, as India have more obvious candidates to replace him.

I still remember all this proclamations that he was back when he played that shot of Rauf at Melbourne, especially from the outrageously obsequious Australian media.
I mean in that sense he is back as he's been in ripping form in ODIs since then. But that was never transferable to Test matches.

Starfighter

And his slip catching isn't great either
Never has been though.

Some of the Indian (or simply older) posters will remember better than me, IIRC but he started fielding there regularly very early (11/12 even?) and became a staple after the big four went. That said, I could swear I remember Ashwin fielding there so I don't think there were many alternatives.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant

I still remember all the proclamations that he was back when he played that shot of Rauf at Melbourne, especially from the outrageously obsequious Australian media.
Bit like Hashim Amla he went in serious decline

Daemon

Never has been though.

Some of the Indian (or simply older) posters will remember better than me, IIRC but he started fielding there regularly very early (11/12 even?) and became a staple after the big four went. That said, I could swear I remember Ashwin fielding there so I don't think there were many alternatives.
He's the worst slip fielder (who fields there consistently) I've ever seen

Spark

Global Moderator
Never has been though.

I'm pretty sure he's always been crap at slip. I certainly remember using him as a poster boy for my "just because you're a good ring fielder doesn't make you a good slip fielder and teams should stop putting people in at slip in the basis of good ODI fielding" pet theory.

He's the worst slip fielder (who fields there consistently) I've ever seen
Alastair Cook was also pretty dismal IMO

OverratedSanity

Rahane, Rohit and Rahul have all fielded in the slips on and off and they've all looked much better than Kohli.