• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2023

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm pretty sure he's always been crap at slip.
Never said he wasn't. But I definitely remember he started fielding regularly there very early, possibly even in 11/12. I remember there were plenty of (justified) complaints very early too.
Alastair Cook was also pretty dismal IMO
Also an example of someone good in one place being not in another. He was good at mid-on (I think he was also a decent short leg but that's before my time) but I can't remember anyone shelling straightforward slip catches more consistency over such a long period.

Spark

Global Moderator
Shane Watson was also quite poor, I seem to remember him dropping quite a few absolute dollies at first slip.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Rahane, Rohit and Rahul have all fielded in the slips on and off and they've all looked much better than Kohli.
Rohit and Rahul postdate that though. Rahul's first test was Dhoni's last and Rohit didn't properly establish himself till he moved to open, playing less than half of all matches prior (not sure if he had injuries though). They weren't as established.

Rahane not fielding there is less exlipcable as he was a fixture for a long while. There is of course captain's prerogative for that period, but it doesn't explain why he's still there now.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Smith is fine, even excellent, slipping to quicks. It's against spin where he's had problems and only in the last few years.
Hmm, Smith was never that convincing imo. But yeah he's just kinda OK rather than Kohli level bad, but has this reputation of being incredible because of the occasional blinder.

Spark

Global Moderator
Hmm, Smith was never that convincing imo. But yeah he's just kinda OK but has this reputation of being incredible because of the occasional blinder.
He's not amazing - he wouldn't get in the cordon in the days of Warne-Ponting-Hayden - but he's dependable. His drop percentage against quicks is pretty low iirc. Had a mare in the last 18 months in the subcontinent though, his back is clearly hampering him.

Having said that, that this evening could be the best (and maybe most important) catch he's taken.

Gob

International Coach
He's not amazing - he wouldn't get in the cordon in the days of Warne-Ponting-Hayden - but he's dependable. His drop percentage against quicks is pretty low iirc. Had a mare in the last 18 months in the subcontinent though, his back is clearly hampering him.

Having said that, that this evening could be the best (and maybe most important) catch he's taken.
Not a catch but remember his missed direct hit at Mohali?
Man I wish the ball went to Ponting

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don’t care about him being a #11 - the Siraj wicket really pissed me off more than anything else this game. He’s not even a Shami or Yadav that could potentially pull off a shot like that. He knew before he played it that there was probably a 75% chance of him getting out doing it. ****ing braindead batting.