• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in NZ 2023

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don’t think it was a leg side wide tbh (certainly not deliberately/cynically bowled that wide and probably not too wide to hit) but I think the wideness might have confused the umpires into not picking up on how high it was
Anything in tests that pitches 0.15 m past the front leg of the batsman is always called wide, we've seen this for years.

It should have been a tie, but the umpires know less about the rules than people on CW

artvandalay

State Vice-Captain
Saw the full length highlights of the game, definitely feel England somehow stole a defeat from the jaws of victory here what with the first innings declaration, Southee-ball, some suicidal running between the wickets to get Brook out and inexplicably risky batting against a short ball trap at the end with not much to get.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Clearly England didn't Bazball hard enough. Stokes should've just whacked Bracewell over his head.

Brook's side

International Regular
Richardson used to be quite good before he became a radio/tv shock jock. Fleming and Bond were I thought both pretty good this series. Unfortunately the best Nz commentator - Jeremy Coney - is thought to be a little too intellectual and quirky for your average kiwi viewer.
That's a shame. Good to hear he's still around though.

Flem274*

123/5
Wow.

I got nervous watching the highlights after knowing the result. Decided to not look after checking the score on break and seeing Henry immediately get injured. Got snapchats through the day so knew it was close but farrrk 1 run.

So many blokes on both sides stood up in this game. Two flawed sides but equally sides with plenty of class too, and my boi Neil Wagner showed he might be over the hill but he sure has bulldozed it. The man is a champion bowler and Wagnerball will always get you in the end.

Joe Root and Kane Williamson showed why they are Fab Four in this match. Anderson and Broad were a level above in the first innings and Tim Southee also played a very underrated hand with a match saving score and bowled very well, much better than 4 wickets for the game. In the age of Bazball he commanded England's respect.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That's in the literal ICC rulebook and conditions for play. It's not a subjective thing that umpires can go here or there on.

They need sensors on the lines to be able to detect these wides effectively a la tennis. The only issue would be whether a bat swing or say a bird might trigger it. Seems unlikely though, the AI and tech at the disposal of the ICC is pretty high level and I think a bat would be noticeably too big to be a ball to the sensor in any case.

Hurricane2

U19 Cricketer
1) The laws against short pitched intimidatory bowling are completely ignored and have been since the Windies in the 80s. I am not complaining about that but they should be stricken down rather than ignored.
2) Wagners wicket taking ball against Anderson was leg side rubbish. Anderson must be gutted with that strangle.
3) Terrible decision to enforce the follow on
4) Good captaincy and 4th inning bowling changes by our Tim the captain. Good little captain
5) Well batted Kane.

Brook's side

International Regular
1) The laws against short pitched intimidatory bowling are completely ignored and have been since the Windies in the 80s. I am not complaining about that but they should be stricken down rather than ignored.
2) Wagners wicket taking ball against Anderson was leg side rubbish. Anderson must be gutted with that strangle.
3) Terrible decision to enforce the follow on
4) Good captaincy and 4th inning bowling changes by our Tim the captain. Good little captain
5) Well batted Kane.
I thought Southee looked like a rabbit in the headlights. Williamson was de facto captain at the end there. Prior to that I thought Southee was far too defensive/passive.

MOM for me should have been Wagner (although several players obviously performed with excellence).

Him and Foakes both played like lions, but Wagner brought it home. Where he found that spell from will surely remain one of crickets greatest ever mysteries.

thierry henry

International Coach
That's in the literal ICC rulebook and conditions for play. It's not a subjective thing that umpires can go here or there on.
What’s in the rulebook? You said ‘pitches 0.15m past the front leg’ - on which side? Why would a wide be judged based on where the ball pitches? And what is the relevance to Wagner’s ball that pitched well outside off?

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Leave the decision with Wagner I guess. My hope for the SL series is less Wagner does/doesn't retire (though definitely his last series if he does play), but more that NZ debut at least one of the next generation in Shipley or Smith. It's too good an opportunity to miss. They can hand another opportunity to Tickner too if they like, but he's more of a long shot and that requires one of Southee/Wagner/Henry out.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Root now averages above 50 in seven different countries. Wagner’s last hurrah or earned himself the SL series minimum?
He’ll play. Word is he fancies sticking around for a while longer and there’s no way he could be dropped after that. Also there’s the lure of next year’s tests v SA and Australia. He’d be desperate to be a part of series wins against both, and you know he has the self-belief that he can contribute.

He should retire. As courageous as his performance was it was hardly vintage Wagner, and the time is right for NZ to start looking to the future. But the sight of him wailing in pain and joy after the fall of the final wicket does something to me emotionally that I can’t quite describe. A few years ago someone compared it to Rocky crying out “ADRIAAAANNNN” after fighting Apollo Creed and I always thought that was very apt. When he does go I’ll be feeling a mix of relief and real melancholy. There’s never been another NZ cricketer like him.