• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in NZ 2023

Molehill

International Captain
I've just seen a freeze fr
Was ridiculous.

I actually should be more mad.
I've just seen a freeze frame of it, it's 2 feet over Jimmy's head!! Agreed, I should be more mad, but it's the follow on which has done for me more than that or even the Brook run out. But this is the nature of the game we now play, if you'd have offered us 10 wins from 12 we'd have taken it. And if we had to lose one, this may as well be it.

thierry henry

International Coach
Don’t think it was a leg side wide tbh (certainly not deliberately/cynically bowled that wide and probably not too wide to hit) but I think the wideness might have confused the umpires into not picking up on how high it was

ataraxia

International Coach
The other two wides I saw called were higher tbh. I don't think the umpiring was necessarily all over the place, but yes it should have been a wide lol

jcas0167

International Debutant
I thought it was basically impossible to bowl a wide in tests, have they been stricter than normal in this series or has it been standard officiating?

Also, watching the replay on Spark they have Atherton discussing the day ahead. I didn't realise he was part of their comms team for this series. It has been a treat having Gower and good timing to have him in the box for the final session.

thierry henry

International Coach
I thought it was basically impossible to bowl a wide in tests, have they been stricter than normal in this series or has it been standard officiating?
It’s very difficult to bowl a wide that is actually wide, but for height they are fairly consistent across all forms of cricket if it’s above the head. This was miles over his head.

Molehill

International Captain
You've basically got to miss the cut strip for a wide to be given on width, but normally anything over head height would get called by the square leg umpire. As I said earlier, I think this would've been given earlier in the match, but the umpire bottled it with 2 runs needed. Dharmasena would've called it... ?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A man from a bygone age and the only cricketer in history to be dropped for commandeering a biplane.
Fmd I remember that tour. Comedy gold from he and Morris. Gower playing under Gooch’s captaincy style was always going to end badly. They were like water and oil in their approaches to cricket

Brook's side

International Regular
Think it was Craig McMillan. Ian Smith was a Sky Sports man through and through and had no interest in joining Spark when they bought the rights.
None of them were a patch on Smith who I find more than tolerable.

How you put up with that assembly of morons I've no idea.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
None of them were a patch on Smith who I find more than tolerable.

How you put up with that assembly of morons I've no idea.
Richardson used to be quite good before he became a radio/tv shock jock. Fleming and Bond were I thought both pretty good this series. Unfortunately the best Nz commentator - Jeremy Coney - is thought to be a little too intellectual and quirky for your average kiwi viewer.