• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in NZ 2023

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
I just have to say it was so nice to see the team show some fight in the final two innings of this game (barring the chaos at the end of our second batting innings).

Seems like ever since the WTC win we've just been coasting and happy to capitulate ... there was a fighting draw in the first test in India, South Africa collapsed in a heap against us in the first test last season, but it's been pretty dire apart from that.

Managing to fight back from following on and an absolute pasting in the first test is more what I've come to expect from this team. Finally it seemed like a little bit of the fire in the belly returned. Absolutely loved it, now fix the selections up, bring in some new blood, and move forward with this attitude!

Heboric

International Debutant
Wow what a match. must have been awesome to watch it live. To quote a word from one of New Zealands favourite eloquent sons. I thought New Zealand were goneskis when they had to follow on

Shady Slim

International Coach
having thought about it more, remembering there were concerns as to the weather the follow on was the right move to push for the win in the test, but not the right move for winning the series itself. seems like the regime wants to push to win every test though, a decision you may agree or disagree with; i find the lack of cowardice refreshing

Molehill

International Captain
Ah well, I guess that's how Bazball works. Stokes saying he was proud to be involved in a match like that, but quite simply, he never should have been. If he doesn't enforce the follow on it's probably a 250 run victory. But this England team gets people talking about Test Cricket one way or another, I'd sooner they were just a bit more ruthless and took the easy victory that was on offer.

Well played NZ, took the chance they should never have been given.

Molehill

International Captain
having thought about it more, remembering there were concerns as to the weather the follow on was the right move to push for the win in the test, but not the right move for winning the series itself. seems like the regime wants to push to win every test though, a decision you may agree or disagree with; i find the lack of cowardice refreshing
You'd like to think if qualification for the WTC was on the line or frankly The Ashes, a different decision would have been made. Probably best they learnt a valuable lesson in a game with less on the line (and I don't mean that disparagingly to this series).

Shady Slim

International Coach
You'd like to think if qualification for the WTC was on the line or frankly The Ashes, a different decision would have been made. Probably best they learnt a valuable lesson in a game with less on the line (and I don't mean that disparagingly to this series).
playing for the draw when you're up by one test heading into the final test of a series is enormous weenie hut loser energy though and shouldn't be encouraged imho, even if it's the ashes or for the wtc qual

Molehill

International Captain
playing for the draw when you're up by one test heading into the final test of a series is enormous weenie hut loser energy though and shouldn't be encouraged imho, even if it's the ashes or for the wtc qual
How is being 550 runs ahead and giving yourself 5 sessions at the end of a Test to bowl a team out loser energy? It's ruthless winner energy.

Shady Slim

International Coach
How is being 550 runs ahead and giving yourself 5 sessions at the end of a Test to bowl a team out loser energy? It's ruthless winner energy.
as i said in my original post, though in this game at the time the decision was made there were concerns as to weather playing tricks on them on the last couple of days of the match

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
This is without a doubt the best test I've ever seen played in NZ. The top 10 in my time watching cricket in order:

NZ win by 1 run v England 2023
NZ win by 44 runs v India 2014
Pakistan win by 33 runs 1993
NZ draw with England 2013
NZ win by 78 runs v England 2002
NZ win by 32 runs v Pakistan 2009
Bangladesh win by 8 wickets 2022
NZ win by 27 runs v West Indies 2006
NZ win by 5 wickets v Pakistan 1994
NZ win by 4 wickets v India 1998

Molehill

International Captain
About a 6 inches over Anderson's head and a meter down the leg side. Tbf umpires do tend to let those go all the time but I don't see how you could say that Anderson could have played it with anything remotely resembling a normal cricket shot.
I got the impression it was one of those that may well have been given at a less contentious time in the Test. We needed Dharmasena!!

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Who was it who called the last ball? Was it Ian Smith? I wasn't sure if he was doing comms for this series or not, and tbh most Kiwis sort of sound like they've just had major dental work so I find it a little difficult to work out who's who based on their voices.
Think it was Craig McMillan. Ian Smith was a Sky Sports man through and through and had no interest in joining Spark when they bought the rights.