• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in NZ 2023

Athlai

Not Terrible
Not sure if you watched the game fully, Darryl Mitchell was bowling quicker than Wagner. Wagner ended up bowling most overs and went for over 100 runs. Let's hope they bowl Macewell in the 2nd inning
I'm with you on it being a weird selection but that doesn't mean you deliberately over bowl him regardless

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Not sure if you watched the game fully, Darryl Mitchell was bowling quicker than Wagner. Wagner ended up bowling most overs and went for over 100 runs. Let's hope they bowl Macewell in the 2nd inning
Optimistic to think we'll bowl again.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
I had a chance to meet one player from our squad prior the series and asked him if he's prepared well. He said we're going to be smashed. I said he must be joking and definitely bazzball won't have a chance in our conditions but he knew what was coming I guess :p

Let's hope we score good runs here and hopefully do a rain dance collectively.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
My word. I went to bed at 50 for 3; relieved that Root and Brook had added a few but aware that we could easily be bowled out cheaply on this wicket. And obviously the usual bores were enjoying Bazball's comeuppance. So looking at the scorecard this morning was fun. 315 for 3 - brilliant, they saw out the day. Off only 65 overs - blimey, although I know I shouldn't be surprised. Root 101* - oh that's great, he probably needed that. Brook 180+ off 169 deliveries -oh ffs, that's ridiculous. The sports reporter on 5Live talked about England being rescued by some 'Yorkshire grit'. Er OK mate, but I don't think he'd looked beyond the end-of-day scorecard.

kevinw

International 12th Man
Harry Brook is a monster. A year ago he was unfulfilled promise, a FC average in the 20s. Now he I probably the most dynamic, frightening batter in world cricket. What happened?

G. S. Kohli

After 9 innings
Brook 807* (108.88)(4)(5 test)
--
After 8 innings in 6-test
Vinod k (798)(99.75)(4)
Atleast in 4 test vinod played only 1 innings each
--
SMG : 774 (129.66)(4)≠

Weeks-777 (86.33(4)≠

Headley-703(78.11)-(4)≠

Worell-695 (99.28)(2)≠

Conway-623(69.22)(3)≠

Hunte-622(77.75)(3)≠

Hutton -600 (66.66)(3)≠

≠ = 4 tests

Last edited:

The Hutt Rec

So last week for a day/night test we decided not to pick another new ball bowler alongside Southee. This week, for a test at the Basin where we have years of recent history knowing that after the first morning it gets flat as ****...we decided not to pick a third seamer. Wagner has never been that traditional third seamer type and he's cooked anyway, and Mitchell is no CDG. So what are we actually doing? How were we planning to get them out? Hope that we roll them for 30 inside 10 overs? It's just such totally muddled thinking.

Haven't been able to see any actual play today yet but judging from live commentary sounds like we could've picked up another wicket or two with more attacking fields too. The team's fallen off a cliff.
The selectors frequently just seem to fall down these rabbit holes and end up selecting a team that flies in the face of all logical thinking.

It really needs someone to step back and look at the team as a whole and think "what the hell are we doing here?!"

G. S. Kohli

So Derek Randal's 164 runs innings record at the Basin broken by Brook

Also 294* stand best by 4th wicket at Basin

Root reached his 29th centuty equal with Sir Bradman (29)but beat Amla (28) & Clarke (28) century.

kevinw

International 12th Man
So Derek Randal's 164 runs innings record at the Basin broken by Brook

Also 294* stand best by 4th wicket at Basin

Root reached his 29th centuty equal with Sir Bradman (29)but beat Amla (28) & Clarke (28) century.
And even in this bazball era, let every other guy bat with their natural aggressive instincts. Just do your thing, hundreds at a 60 SR.