• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2023

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I honestly don't think his batting would add anything. Really think they need a left arm spinner (Kuhnemann) there but without Green, the only option is to drop Lyon
Starc contributed last tour with the bat didn’t he?

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
I honestly don't think his batting would add anything. Really think they need a left arm spinner (Kuhnemann) there but without Green, the only option is to drop Lyon
Yeah ideally need that left arm spinner but it's looking unlikely.

I would still back Lyon to do better in the next test. Murphy was unknown quantity. India will study him and expect to play better against him this time. It would be quite something if he repeated his success from last innings.

SOK had quite a game in the 1st test last time but barely picked up wickets after that!

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
I really don't think this idea of Starc creating rough for right arm fingerspin is much of a thing really. It's still just one guy running in compared to 2-3 right arm fast bowlers doing the same for left arm fingerspin.
Also no real change in Lyon s numbers without Starc historically.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Starc played the first 2 tests (both low scoring)-
1st- 61 & 30
2nd- 26 & 1

Thats massive contribution with the bat. Had a few significant partnerships. Thats the difference between getting bowled out for 190 and scoring 250.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
A bit here and there but Indian spinners seems to have gotten better
Pitches last time were turning square yet he scored. I think he will be a dangerous batter at no.8 with his ability to take on the spinners and smack them for sixes.

Xix2565

International Regular
Without Starc, there's little rough created against right handers.

With Starc, at least there is some rough created for the off spinners to work with.

Plus, Starc can bat a bit too and he adds variety to the bowling attack being fast and left arm. His pace can be useful against the tail too. So he is almost certain to replace Boland unless he is deemed to be not 100%.
The rough idea isn't really substantiated in the record though, which is the main dispute with the idea. Your other reasons for picking Starc are exactly the ones that I have for having him involved in the first place, with my main point against him being his poor record in India. Creating the rough for offspin is basically a meaningless point since it's not really proven at all.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Finger injuries are hard to judge though right? Can sometimes be better in a couple weeks or take months to calm down
Broke my finger in a semi final one year and opened the batting in the final six days later*. Just get out there and have a go ffs.

*made a painstaking duck, but still.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The rough idea isn't really substantiated in the record though, which is the main dispute with the idea. Your other reasons for picking Starc are exactly the ones that I have for having him involved in the first place, with my main point against him being his poor record in India. Creating the rough for offspin is basically a meaningless point since it's not really proven at all.
It's a shame he got hurt actually, because his past 12 months in tests have been low key excellent. Was bowling really well.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Not those big gloves used in baseball but decent thin gloves to protect the fingers.

I see this as such an unnecessary injury! It can be avoided

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
**** I hope the deck is that green.

Pretty pleasant playing conditions you'd reckon. Does it usually swing much at that venue?
Most of North India venues will encourage swing in winters tbh. The grass and bounce may vary though, coz those surfaces may need more sunlight to be harder. Think more English or NZ type wickets than Aus or SA.