• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2023

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
Even though this will be written off as ridiculous and is partially knowingly so, I do find it interesting that this has not happened yet. It does seem that the absolute pinnacle level is always a restricted field of sorts. Hence India could have multiple A Teams which would win consistently over other teams but the first XI is always a back and forth affair.
If perfect play were as reproducible in cricket, as say tennis, it may have all been over for a long time. But cricket, like golf, is a sport where the solution space bifurcates at relatively few chancy moments. The extended nature of a test series mitigates this to some extent, but brings challenges into play that aren't necessarily solved by having your XI consist of the humans born with the most talent in the raw skills of cricket. Tests expose morale, team cohesion, and of course adaption to unfamiliar conditions.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Not especially worried because the Smith Program will have an inevitable reboot and it won't happen again this series.

More worried about Labushagne's second innings because after the first, he seemed to really doubt his method second innings and played very differently and got caught on the crease a lot.
Think you can put the marnus thing down to the game situation and mental factors tbh. Walking out with a 200+ deficit and 2 days of play Infront of you, an early wicket and Warner deadbatting it at the other end will make most people go into there shell a bit I reckon.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Smith's past his peak, this is how you'd normally expect most players to fare against Jadeja. This isn't the second time they're playing in a series btw, first was back in 2013 when Jadeja was a rookie! For me Jadeja is the difference between India being just great at home or virtually unbeatable, I posted some stats about W/L with him playing for India in India/Asia & he're some more -
Which is to say that Jadeja takes more top order/crucial wickets than any other spinner. You may no agree with the exact ranking but surely he's picked crucial wickets as often as possible! Even in 2013 he made Clarke, who was in great form, look like a tailender at times. Similarly the likes of Faf, Amla & AB in 2015 at home. The one big chink in his armor is the away record & somewhat inability to cleanup the tail.
How is smith past his peak lmao? He's made 3 hundreds in his past 6 tests and is averaging 70 odd in his past 10 tests.

R!TTER

State Regular
Really, did you see those sides he scored against? Or do you think he'll score 3 hundreds in this series/900 runs in the Ashes later in the year? I'm talking about absolute peak, he's at least 2-3 years past it. IMO he peaked in Eng 2019 at best you can argue he'd be in (good) form this year.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Really, did you see those sides he scored against? Or do you think he'll score 3 hundreds in this series/900 runs in the Ashes later in the year? I'm talking about absolute peak, he's at least 2-3 years past it. IMO he peaked in Eng 2019 at best you can argue he'd be in (good) form this year.
Don't know if he will but I sure hope so. It is like watching some sort of Greek God batting when he's on form.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
3rd Test officially moved out of Dharmsala!! (due to poor state of the relaid field)

Replacement venue is likely to be either Indore or Rajkot

R!TTER

State Regular
And for India's sake I hope not, he's not looking as solid or as relaxed(?) as he did in 2017 - catching would be an obvious telltale sign. We'll see what happens though, maybe he was just swept in like everyone else with the hype/talk about pitches & what not. Though I also hope he demolishes the overrated "Bassball" phenomenon in Eng & put that clown show to rest!
Certain Indian posters won’t agree Smith is in form unless he scores 3 century in next 3 Test ?
I specifically said past his peak, anyone else is completely free to believe he isn't.
3rd Test officially moved out of Dharmsala!! (due to poor state of the relaid field)

Replacement venue is likely to be either Indore or Rajkot
I can be at one of those venues, provided I get a VIP pass. Don't wanna get boiled in the heat.

Last edited:

shortpitched713

International Captain
Definitely not doctoring.

Doctoring is only when a pitch is deliberately altered from the natural state it was first discovered in. Some touch ups are necessary of course because there's often quite a bit of flora to clear in the area before you can build a stadium around it, but in general when you discover a pitch in the wild you should do your utmost to keep it behaving the same way.
Boo, we need more trees in cricket grounds.

1676210275656.png

G. S. Kohli

International Vice-Captain
Hope it is Rajkot. Jadeja knows the ground like the back of his hand and has had a lot of his domestic records there. Pujara's home ground as well.
& jaidev Unadkat their all rounder captain of Saurashtra ranji trophy team who is in indian team now.

If match switch to indore Ashwin & Kuldey might ruin Australian party

Last edited:

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
He's 71 across a 10 match stretch in the past year with 3 hundreds and 900+ total runs. I don't care who he's facing that's not PAST HIS PEAK. His peak wasn't the 2017 border gavaskar/2019 ashes, those where extreme's in his peak.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
No lol, he always teases with that tiptoe thing before his heel comes down eventually. The still isn't the full picture.
It doesn't matter.. as the no ball is checked at the point of first contact with ground of the foot. And yes, Jadeja's heel appears to be just behind the line - the shoe is white and so is the crease. The angle of the camera didn't help either.

subshakerz

International Coach
He's 71 across a 10 match stretch in the past year with 3 hundreds and 900+ total runs. I don't care who he's facing that's not PAST HIS PEAK. His peak wasn't the 2017 border gavaskar/2019 ashes, those where extreme's in his peak.
Smith is past his peak but is still close to the summit.

subshakerz

International Coach
So the question for the Aussie batters is: do something different or treat this last test as a horror show and stick the game plan?

I think if I was Aussie management, I would just advocate any approach that gets the spinners off their line. BazBall it.

I think if Australia;s lower order can smack and slog around with mixed defense, they should be able to cross 200. But the moment they just hang around, it's done for.