• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2023

Senile Sentry

International Debutant

Australia's plans to train in Nagpur scuppered after ground staff water pitches
Australia had asked the VCA Stadium ground staff if they could leave the centre wicket and training pitches untouched for players to train on Sunday afternoon

G. S. Kohli

International Vice-Captain

Australia had asked the VCA Stadium ground staff if they could leave the centre wicket and training pitches untouched for players to train on Sunday afternoon
Not true

Shri

Mr. Glass
Pre-match suggestions of pitch doctoring – not from the Australian players, who made no public complaints about the state of the Nagpur surface – elicited a bemused response from two leading Indian players after their comprehensive victory.

Ravichandran Ashwin, speaking in an interview with Rohit Sharma and posted to the Indian cricket board's website after the spinner destroyed the Aussies in their second innings, asked his captain: "Pitch talk is the real favourite topic on social media, especially for touring teams.

"When you were batting or they were batting … not one ball nicked off and went to silly point or short leg. You guys did not look in trouble. What is the secret? Is it good batsmanship or is it that we played on a different pitch?"

Rohit, whose near-flawless 120 in the first innings was the difference in the match, replied: "Same pitch … It’s beyond my understanding why there is so much talk about the pitch.

"It's sad to see there is not enough talk about skills, of the bowler, of the batter. People are not talking about the bowler and the batter, which is extremely sad, but that's how it is. It doesn’t really bother us."

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
I think Nagpur curator should have allowed Aus to oractise on the wicket. I mean it was not doing snatching spectacular anyways. Plus Aus batsmen would still be facing Aus spinners.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
One thing that worries me about selecting head at all is that the AUS selectors decided he looked so poor in the nets while facing dan vettori's 44 year old bowling and the ashwin impersonator on a practice wicket that he wasn't worth picking. If he's THAT poor vs those guys how on earth is he going to last vs ashwin, jadeja and axar lmao. The fact that india have all of those 3 and aren't even playing kuldeep is insane. Even guys like saubaur kumar or whatever his name is who played for India-A averages 25-30 with the bat in FC cricket. So many spin bowling allrounders. Not even mentoning sundar.

Shri

Mr. Glass
I think Nagpur curator should have allowed Aus to oractise on the wicket. I mean it was not doing snatching spectacular anyways. Plus Aus batsmen would still be facing Aus spinners.
ash can bowl to them and train them as a flex and they would still lose

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Look, I'm sorry to say it, but we Australians have to really start to gambhir like there is no tomorrow. Look at all these Indian's gambhiring the **** out of these threads ever since they became decent. It is the way of the future.
**** the secret is out.

Ray.

School Boy/Girl Captain

The ground staff already watered it xD

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No lol, he always teases with that tiptoe thing before his heel comes down eventually. The still isn't the full picture.
How do you know it went behind the line? And if so how did the umpires **** that up when Jadeja has been bowling that way the whole game? Not that I put anything beyond the abilities of the umpires to get wrong but it seems a particularly strange error to make

Shri

Mr. Glass
How do you know it went behind the line? And if so how did the umpires **** that up when Jadeja has been bowling that way the whole game? Not that I put anything beyond the abilities of the umpires to get wrong but it seems a particularly strange error to make
it won't happen again

3rd umpire would have been told not to be an idiot after the match

Shady Slim

International Coach
One thing that worries me about selecting head at all is that the AUS selectors decided he looked so poor in the nets while facing dan vettori's 44 year old bowling and the ashwin impersonator on a practice wicket that he wasn't worth picking. If he's THAT poor vs those guys how on earth is he going to last vs ashwin, jadeja and axar lmao. The fact that india have all of those 3 and aren't even playing kuldeep is insane. Even guys like saubaur kumar or whatever his name is who played for India-A averages 25-30 with the bat in FC cricket. So many spin bowling allrounders. Not even mentoning sundar.
my plan for head opening which i called for on january nine was basically to send him out with a license to slog away, hopefully throw the spin bois off their line and length or rattle them mentally a bit because it’ll either come off and be great or not come off and be no worse than seeing warner get out for 6 (11)

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
my plan for head opening which i called for on january nine was basically to send him out with a license to slog away, hopefully throw the spin bois off their line and length or rattle them mentally a bit because it’ll either come off and be great or not come off and be no worse than seeing warner get out for 6 (11)
100% agree with you on opening with head. If it doesn't work out and renshaw continues to struggle at 5 swap them around.

the big bambino

International Captain
Agreed, but the sooner we accept that due to a combination of India's overwhelming population advantage and the development advantages they will have going forward due to the unparalleled wealth generated by cricket in India, we will never again be competitive against them in any format or competition (men, women or age group) the better. There is literally nothing that can be done to save Australian cricket from the impeding Indian domination, let alone saving this series. We should stick to Aussie rules and league.
Maybe, or we could learn to play spin so we aren't beaten on the inside edge.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Marnus has an obscene strike rate vs spin from memory, something like 70 at test level (unsure of his strike rate vs spin in Asia specifically, he's played 5 tests there recently + the 2 uae tests vs PAK when he debuted that are included but he also bashes spin around the park at home. He's confident at using all 3 varients of the sweep and using his feet to find gaps and makes runs doing it consistently. https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...-vs-australia-2nd-test-1307302/full-scorecard His 100 here was at a SR of 66 and it's by far the best knock i've seen him playing in Asia.

The agression can also get him out occasionally (the wierd "sweep" he got out to in the second innings of this game a clear example), but i'de rather see him getting out making runs and scoring naturally then playing with a negative mindset and misreading the ball completely.