• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2023

Spark

Global Moderator
Serious question, if he doesn't go on to ground some part of the foot behind the line before bowling it's a no-ball isn't it? Doesn't matter if he's hovering over it, some of the foot has to be on the ground, behind the line.

Or is that not right
Hovering behind the line is fine

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just looked it up:

"the bowler’s front foot must land with some part of the foot, whether grounded or raised "

So Spark is right, if it's in the air behind the line it's fine. Takes a bit of extrapolation though

TheJediBrah

Looks to me that the Jadeja no-ball call isn't "clear" either way, at least from that still. If that's the closest the back of his foot came to hovering behind the line though it's probably a no-ball

R!TTER

State Regular
I meant the same as what Spark said, worded a bit differently. The back part of the front foot i.e. the heel can be raised (or hovering) but visually it must be behind the line! Imagine how hard it would've been with regular umpires checking for every no ball unlike these days.

TheJediBrah

I meant the same as what Spark said, worded a bit differently. The back part of the front foot i.e. the heel can be raised (or hovering) but visually it must be behind the line! Imagine how hard it would've been with regular umpires checking for every no ball unlike these days.
Well yeah it's basically guesswork, especially if it's close

Daemon

Looks to me that the Jadeja no-ball call isn't "clear" either way, at least from that still. If that's the closest the back of his foot came to hovering behind the line though it's probably a no-ball
No lol, he always teases with that tiptoe thing before his heel comes down eventually. The still isn't the full picture.

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
Look, I'm sorry to say it, but we Australians have to really start to gambhir like there is no tomorrow. Look at all these Indian's gambhiring the **** out of these threads ever since they became decent. It is the way of the future. We have no hope. They try to equate their top order tail with our bottom order tail. We are all tail, except for a smith blemish. There is no hope. We have ****ing lyon, the alien that the aliens don't want to rescue by looking for him in the northern hemisphere. We have a fast attack that has no hope on slow pitches and most of all, we are dumb ****s who don't prepare for the challenge but prefer to prop up our dumb **** BBL, that no one cares about with our test players instead of preparing properly. Australia has no hope here and is getting done in by mind games and everything because they wont prepare properly and have resorted to picking ****s on history, rather than form.

I really hope Australia turns things around for the poor Indian spectators, but we are no where near good enough and there is no chance to fix things until Australia sucks it up and realises that they will have to learn to play on spinning pitches by serving them up at home. They also have to feel the shame at losing to a team that is out of form and bowls the straight variety of spin. It's the new ashes. It is no good saying the Ashes is the pinnacle. India in India is the top challenge in cricket and Australia must treat it like that.
Agreed, but the sooner we accept that due to a combination of India's overwhelming population advantage and the development advantages they will have going forward due to the unparalleled wealth generated by cricket in India, we will never again be competitive against them in any format or competition (men, women or age group) the better. There is literally nothing that can be done to save Australian cricket from the impeding Indian domination, let alone saving this series. We should stick to Aussie rules and league.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Agreed, but the sooner we accept that due to a combination of India's overwhelming population advantage and the development advantages they will have going forward due to the unparalleled wealth generated by cricket in India, we will never again be competitive against them in any format or competition (men, women or age group) the better. There is literally nothing that can be done to save Australian cricket from the impeding Indian domination, let alone saving this series. We should stick to Aussie rules and league.
#asiancentury

Spark

Global Moderator
wait is this a serious post

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Mustn't write off the series though. I'm sure we all remember the 1997 Ashes which I had recorded on VHS.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Even though this will be written off as ridiculous and is partially knowingly so, I do find it interesting that this has not happened yet. It does seem that the absolute pinnacle level is always a restricted field of sorts. Hence India could have multiple A Teams which would win consistently over other teams but the first XI is always a back and forth affair.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Serious question, if he doesn't go on to ground some part of the foot behind the line before bowling it's a no-ball isn't it? Doesn't matter if he's hovering over it, some of the foot has to be on the ground, behind the line.

Or is that not right
I'm sure others have pointed that this is not right but I had a very challenging piece when I was umpiring a bowler who delivered off the wrong foot like Sohail Tanvir but he was at least 1m over the front line with his front foot.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
By watering I assume the curators have rubbed ouchie cream all over the wicket and rendered it useless at Nagpur.