• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2023

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
FMD Agar, such a stupid thing to pick the poor bloke then not select him when they're crying out for a third spinner. Just dire stuff from the panel. WTAF are they thinking doing this? Like they trialled him in Sydney and he wasn't any good, so select him anyway? ****ing bizarro.

Spikey

look just put maxwell, green and kuhnemann on a plane and send back agar and hazlewood and whichever batter we're blaming the loss on. problem solved.

Spark

Global Moderator
Rumour mill in operation that Kuhnemann might be flown in, presumably because they don't consider Agar good enough.

Problem is I don't think Kuhnemann's in great nick either. He wasn't too threatening in the ongoing Shield and if anything has gone backwards (I suspect partly due to being behind Swepson and not getting matches).

Doesn't solve the weak tail either. And would they really only go in with one pair plus a just-returned Green?

I think Starc will be rushed in for Boland, which on paper would at least make the tail a bit more respectable.

the big bambino

International Captain
Like Jadeja would be a far less effective bowler in the Dickie Bird days of umpiring because all you would ever need to do is just lunge as far as you can at the pitch of the ball, cover the turning ball with your bat, and smile as the bowler appeals uselessly for an LBW we all know now is dead plumb but simply wasn't given in those days.
Oh you mean something like Keshav to Smith? I remember that one time too. The days of May and Cowdrey padding their way through an innings effectively died when umpires started firing out players for moving a timid bat behind a protective bat before drs. I haven't been so inattentive to miss the many lbw controversies in matches, series and tours over the decades either. My favourite when Tennyson ignored his own instructions to his team to behave like ambassadors when he chewed out an umpire who gave Peter Smith out when he played the ball back up the wicket off the middle of his bat. Sometimes the controversy is because the umpires have been too liberal with lbws and drs proactively protects batsmen from those controversies (as do neutral umpires).

So defensive play has been evolving. You wouldn't lunge at bowlers like Jadeja, or the swifter Underwood anyway. More so for the bowler who wants to use the rough outside the line. In that case I can see drs now also reactively assist the batsman where an appeal to the technology against trigger happy umpires could see them overturned. Umpires are judged by drs too. A few overturns might convince them to holster it for the sake of their own reputations.

Burgey

I think Starc will be rushed in for Boland, which on paper would at least make the tail a bit more respectable.
You'd think he would also get a bit of swing if there's any on offer. Neither Boland nor Cummins really swing it at all, but it was a real issue in Nagpur that none of the quicks has really bowled a ball in anger for a month, and it really showed with Cummins' first spell. He was better for the run day two, but by then the horse had bolted.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Murphy coming good might spell the end for Haze in the SC. Surely Australia won't be batting Lyon at 9 with Cummins at 8.

anil1405

International Captain
When was the last time Australia were bowled out in one session? Or is this the sweet moment where it happened for the first time?

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FMD Agar, such a stupid thing to pick the poor bloke then not select him when they're crying out for a third spinner. Just dire stuff from the panel. WTAF are they thinking doing this? Like they trialled him in Sydney and he wasn't any good, so select him anyway? ****ing bizarro.
IMO Agar being our leftie was pre-ordained pretty much since O'Keefe chucked it in. Kuhnemann's new and wasn't getting games ahead of Swepson, and lack of recent FC experience has never stopped them picking players who've been around the international setup a while.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
@subshakerz you say Ashwin-Jadeja is not the biggest factor but the only factor of difference.

If you remember, in an earlier thread, you laughed at my post that said opposition teams prepare non spinning pitches to neutralize Ashwin-Jadeja so as to give themselves the best winning chance.

So, how can they be both the major factor for India and also a non-factor?

Starfighter

Yeah I say probably because sometimes it's better to watch them bat longer while still being clueless.
Eh, I can only assume you didn't see that innings live. It was like watching an airliner crashing.

Anyhoo, it looks like 'tis gonna be a case of reshuffling the bowling after a mainly batting failure. I so want to get rid of the dead wood (both intellectually and cricketingly) at the top of the order. I had a sneaking feeling before the Melbourne test that Warner might pull out a big innings to excuse his now near-constant failures. Yes Head's suspect against spin but if he goes out and tries to biff it it'll do more good than what Warner and probably Renshaw will offer.

Also not all that keen on bringing in Kuhnemann really. He's better than Agar but he's an overspin bowler like Lyon. Frankly looking at the way Holland is bowling against Queensland he might be the best bet, but he has several past failures already, albeit UAE pitches aren't the same as Indian ones.

Last edited:

R!TTER

State Regular
@subshakerz you say Ashwin-Jadeja is not the biggest factor but the only factor of difference.

If you remember, in an earlier thread, you laughed at my post that said opposition teams prepare non spinning pitches to neutralize Ashwin-Jadeja so as to give themselves the best winning chance.

So, how can they be both the major factor for India and also a non-factor?
Because that's BS though I wouldn't say it is Ashwin/Jadeja in particular they plan for. They prepare pitches where spin generally won't be a factor for us i.e. India & no one (other than the BCCI) does pitch tampering is also hilariously BS ?

Starfighter

you laughed at my post that said opposition teams prepare non spinning pitches to neutralize Ashwin-Jadeja so as to give themselves the best winning chance.
Both of India's last tours of Australia the pitches have been distinctly more favourable towards India (dry, slow, low-bouncing) than normal, even accounting for two of the venues being Melbourne and Sydney.

Daemon

Both of India's last tours of Australia the pitches have been distinctly more favourable towards India (dry, slow, low-bouncing) than normal, even accounting for two of the venues being Melbourne and Sydney.
Adelaide and Brisbane were dry, slow and low bouncing? That'll be news to the guys who were 36 all out and Pujara who copped like 50 blows to the body.

Burgey

IMO Agar being our leftie was pre-ordained pretty much since O'Keefe chucked it in. Kuhnemann's new and wasn't getting games ahead of Swepson, and lack of recent FC experience has never stopped them picking players who've been around the international setup a while.
Yeah for sure. Id on't really rate him either, but if you pick a bloke in your squad after how he bowled in Sydney then must do so because you think he can do a job on tour. To bring someone else in over the top of him when he hasn't even played a game is both an admission you've got it wrong as selectors and just about as terrible player management as you could dream of.