• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2023

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Still? I thought he can bowl next test. Also, is Starc back too? If he is, then I will go all in on batting depth. Get Starc in for Boland, Agar for Lyon and Green for Renshaw. You get 5 bowlers and batting till 9 and 10 if we add Cummins. Murphy-Starc-Cummins is a decent trio to get India all out while Green and Agar can support with their all-round abilities.
Agar for Lyon?????? Get a grip lol.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
I think when a team suffers a defeat like this, it's natural to start trying to unpick what went wrong, particularly around selection.

I think the Aussie selection was slightly odd - no Head, should Agar have played etc etc.

Buy I think the truth is no matter what 11 the Aussies picked, the result wouldn't have been much different.

The simple truth is that at home on this sort of wicket, India are too good for any side.

The test went pretty much as expected - the Indian spinners dominated, only Smith and Labushchagne offered any real resistance and the Aussie seam attack was ineffective.

Perhaps the only real surprise was Murphy's wickets and Lyon's lack of impact.

Going forward, the Aussies simply have to find a way to score more runs otherwise its going to be a long old series.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Those stupid dorks would look even worse today with their padding up! A lot of ex players, even from 10 years back, simply don't understand how the game has changed post DRS on even slightly conducive spinning pitches.
So true!!
LBWs all day long nowadays.

Socerer 01

International Captain
Rahul has a century in every country he has played except Bangladesh but having average of 34 with that talent is shameful, time we moved on from him when the opener scene is strong

Socerer 01

International Captain
shameful pretty harsh

opening the batting sucks right now given the quality of fast bowling we've seen worldwide for the last decade or so
may sound harsh but he has definitely underachieved compared to the talent he has and the potential he once showed. he is the second youngest to a century across all formats for India and only because Gill broke the record few weeks ago. at the end of the day his legacy in tests might well just be those 8 consecutive 50s he made in 2017 that included the BGT at home when Kohli couldn’t buy a run

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah gotta agree with impatientline here. Rahul needs to go no matter what, averaging 15 in his last few tests or something like that, but he's averaged 34 opening in one of the hardest batting eras of all time post WWII and played a huge part in India basically winning a series in England.

Spark

Global Moderator
I
It isn't zero sum. DRS can work for the batsman too. If you get hit outside the line it doesn't matter if the umpire gives it. You just refer it. It's still down to your judgment. If players are going for their shots more it's more a reflection of the scoring rates they want to maintain now.
I mean this just isn't true. There us overwhelming evidence that DRS has massively favours bowlers on slow pitches by making umpires recalibrate LBW. To the point where I'm surprised anyone watching the game still can claim otherwise.

Spark

Global Moderator
Like Jadeja would be a far less effective bowler in the Dickie Bird days of umpiring because all you would ever need to do is just lunge as far as you can at the pitch of the ball, cover the turning ball with your bat, and smile as the bowler appeals uselessly for an LBW we all know now is dead plumb but simply wasn't given in those days.

Socerer 01

International Captain
Yeah gotta agree with impatientline here. Rahul needs to go no matter what, averaging 15 in his last few tests or something like that, but he's averaged 34 opening in one of the hardest batting eras of all time post WWII and played a huge part in India basically winning a series in England.
i often find that people who find his record tolerable tend to be overseas fans usually. trust me watching this guy for years and the way he’s failed to live up to is just infuriating… he used to average 45 or something once before his extended slump started. that was his true potential and now he is a level or couple below the best openers of today

Spark

Global Moderator
I do think the gap between the sides is nowhere near as big as the final result suggests. The batting from Aus was mostly abject of course but they really could and should have restricted India to a far lower score, both through bowling to their actual standard more often and doing the simple task of holding their ****ing catches. Those Jadeja and Shami drops were absolutely brutal, both scorecard wise and for mentality.

Howe_zat

Audio File
This is Lokesh Rahul's first home test for four and a half years so I'm a bit sympathetic to his recent record. India at least have good options to replace him with though.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I do think the gap between the sides is nowhere near as big as the final result suggests. The batting from Aus was mostly abject of course but they really could and should have restricted India to a far lower score, both through bowling to their actual standard more often and doing the simple task of holding their ****ing catches. Those Jadeja and Shami drops were absolutely brutal, both scorecard wise and for mentality.
Yeah completely agree on this. Australia where never infront at any point but they managed to keep themselves in the game despite playing some pretty ordinary cricket at points. Think the turning point was that 5-10 over period in the middle of the jadeja-rohit partnership where smith dropped rohit and jadeja had that umpires call on impact LBW go his way on 30*. If we'de taken that chance or had the umpires call go our way (Not gonna complain about luck here, we already had two legside strangles go our way) and gotten bharat out for single figures like we did then axar comes to the crease in the second session when the balls still doing a bit and the new rock is still around the corner.

Australia aren't favourites by any means, and given how we batted in the 3rd dig we would have been ****ed anyway, but there's every chance we manage to remove axar and the tail before the end of the day, keep the lead in a reasonable 120-150 range and get some time to bat in that third session yesterday when the ball was doing **** all. Not saying we'de have won or even pushed india close, but at the end of all that could see India chasing a target of 80-100 ~3 wickets down, which I think was a more fair represenation of the cricket we played in those 5 sessions. Unfortunately that didn't happen, and we lost the plot after the jadeja LBW.

Thing that worries me is how similiar this game was in a broad sense to that second game vs sri lanka here: https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...-vs-australia-2nd-test-1307302/full-scorecard. We post a slightly below par first innings total after a smith marnus partnership with nothing much on the other side, tail folds like a pack of cards, we keep ourselves somewhat in the game with srilanka 3-180, then **** hits the fan after starc has chandimal edging behind and we don't review. We start dropping catches, with our bowlers getting smashed around for fun by the end before we capitulate in the 3rd innings and lose by an innings.

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't think Smith dropping Rohit counts beyond the psychological impact given that Rohit was bowled, you know, the next ball.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think Smith dropping Rohit counts beyond the psychological impact given that Rohit was bowled, you know, the next ball.
Was 5 or 6 overs between the drop and rohit's dismissal AFAIR. More just a case of bringing bharat and by proxy, axar to the crease earlier and having a solid go at them when the ball was doing a bit more.

anil1405

International Captain
This is Lokesh Rahul's first home test for four and a half years so I'm a bit sympathetic to his recent record. India at least have good options to replace him with though.
Pros:
- highly talented
- had a very good series when India last toured Eng and SA
- decent ODI record too

Cons:
- somehow established stardom status and living off it
- not doing justice to his talent
- extremely annoying way of batting that frustrates fans

Spark

Global Moderator
Was 5 or 6 overs between the drop and rohit's dismissal AFAIR. More just a case of bringing bharat and by proxy, axar to the crease earlier and having a solid go at them when the ball was doing a bit more.
W
Cummins to Rohit Sharma, OUT
Don't need the fielders for that one! The off stump is out of the ground, sent cartwheeling. Full at straight, hint of movement with the new nut, beats the edge. In fact, that's a wonderful delivery to end a wonderful innings. A mighty century from Rohit
Rohit Sharma b Cummins 120 (212b 15x4 2x6 344m) SR: 56.6

Cummins to Rohit Sharma, 2 runs
Dropped at second slip! Cummins finds the edge as Rohit drives and it's a low chance to Smith. Carried comfortably. Should have been taken
But yeah at 7/240, Aus are well in the game. Had they shot out the last three for not many and India get a lead of, say, 85, then this is still a serious game. But once it gets to 200+ then Aus threw in the towel.