• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2023

Shady Slim

International Coach
because agar was always gonna be a thing unfortunately, swepson's the only selection i can really take umbrage with
as GAS says it's as good as could be about reasonably expected

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Swepson, Agar and Murphy as back-up for Lyon seems like overkill with Head, Smith and Labuschagne all more than capable spinners.
A bit surprised Inglis was overlooked as the second 'keeper but Handscombe is adequate cover for Carey.

Spark

Global Moderator
Swepson, Agar and Murphy as back-up for Lyon seems like overkill with Head, Smith and Labuschagne all more than capable spinners.
A bit surprised Inglis was overlooked as the second 'keeper but Handscombe is adequate cover for Carey.
Should be pretty obvious now that they aren't going to play four quicks on Indian pitches.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Starting XI for the first test depends entirely on whether Green is fit, heard conflicting reports in various places on that one.

If he is, then I would go like this

Warner
Khawaja
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Green
Carey
Agar (not super enthused about that though)
Cummins
Hazlewood
Lyon

If Green is out

Warner
Khawaja
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Carey
Agar
Cummins
Hazlewood
Lyon
Boland/Murphy (pending pitch conditions, Murphy if the deck is a real turner, Boland otherwise)

Starc comes back when fit to do so. Renshaw and not Handscomb next in line with the bat

Spark

Global Moderator
Starting XI for the first test depends entirely on whether Green is fit, heard conflicting reports in various places on that one.

If he is, then I would go like this

Warner
Khawaja
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Green
Carey
Agar (not super enthused about that though)
Cummins
Hazlewood
Lyon

If Green is out

Warner
Khawaja
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Carey
Agar
Cummins
Hazlewood
Lyon
Boland/Murphy (pending pitch conditions, Murphy if the deck is a real turner, Boland otherwise)

Starc comes back when fit to do so. Renshaw and not Handscomb next in line with the bat
I've been the biggest advocate of playing the second spinner on here but playing three spinners and two quicks with Agar at 7 would only make sense to me on some seriously funky pitch conditions tstl. Just play four bowlers and Renshaw at 6.

Spark

Global Moderator
Also I know it's not something taken super seriously but Cummins Hazlewood Lyon Murphy/Boland is basically a 6-out-all-out tail.

Shady Slim

International Coach
I've been the biggest advocate of playing the second spinner on here but playing three spinners and two quicks with Agar at 7 would only make sense to me on some seriously funky pitch conditions tstl. Just play four bowlers and Renshaw at 6.
who is your second spinner of choice btw?

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I guess I just don't have enough faith in Agar's bowling to trust him as part of a 4 man attack

the big bambino

International Captain
Would’ve swapped out Swepson and Murphy for Inglis and Manenti. (If the objection to Green is too great).

if you’re going two spinners I’d prefer someone who can bat and has yet bowled well enough. Two off spinners doesn’t worry me too much as we’ve basically got that arrangement already with Head.

Murphy certainly looks good but picking him starts the tail a vertebrae too high when Manenti’s form is pretty good. Agar and Swepson just not threatening enough to justify a variety pick.

Spark

Global Moderator
Swepson has the semi-incumbency boost tbf and it feels like it would be harsh to just dump in having had him around the fringes for so long when he hasn't done anything wrong per se but yeah there was nothing last year that suggested that he would be anything but carted in India. Australian leggies just don't gel well with Indian conditions.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Swepson has the semi-incumbency boost tbf and it feels like it would be harsh to just dump in having had him around the fringes for so long when he hasn't done anything wrong per se
Straight outta the PCB selection manual

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Swepson has the semi-incumbency boost tbf and it feels like it would be harsh to just dump in having had him around the fringes for so long when he hasn't done anything wrong per se but yeah there was nothing last year that suggested that he would be anything but carted in India. Australian leggies just don't gel well with Indian conditions.
Honestly from what I have seen of Swepson this season, his bowling has went backwards a bit from even where it was then. Looks like he is putting all his energy into just trying to land it in about the right spot, not really getting much work on the ball at all this season.

There was a short time where I thought Swepson was bowling really nicely, giving it a fair rip too. Then he somehow managed to give himself a busted neck, and frankly it looks like things have only been going downhill since he came back from that

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Australia squad for India tour: David Warner, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Steven Smith, Travis Head, Cameron Green, Alex Carey (wk), Pat Cummins (capt), Mitchell Starc, Nathan Lyon, Josh Hazlewood, Scott Boland, Ashton Agar, Lance Morris, Mitchell Swepson, Matt Renshaw, Peter Handscomb, Todd Murphy