• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia tour of Sri Lanka 2022

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
This Test just makes Oz's Test tour of Sri Lanka in 2016 all the more amazing as one would've expected that's how those 3 Tests would've turned out, even more so. Australia were No. 1 ranked Test team, likes of Smith and Warner were closer to their peak, Starc was in career-best form, Sri Lanka had poor Test form in the leadup and - Herath apart - their side didn't seem much stronger than this one is.

And yet it was Australia's only 3 Test or more losing whitewash in recent decades (I think 1982 Pakistan tour was the previous one they had) and was a nightmare on pretty much all fronts.
Was SOK fit for that 2016 SL series? If so we definitely had a better spin bowling lineup available. Sok>>>>>> Any spinner other than lyon we have now.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This Test just makes Oz's Test tour of Sri Lanka in 2016 all the more amazing as one would've expected that's how those 3 Tests would've turned out, even more so. Australia were No. 1 ranked Test team, likes of Smith and Warner were closer to their peak, Starc was in career-best form, Sri Lanka had poor Test form in the leadup and - Herath apart - their side didn't seem much stronger than this one is.

And yet it was Australia's only 3 Test or more losing whitewash in recent decades (I think 1982 Pakistan tour was the previous one they had) and was a nightmare on pretty much all fronts.
2016 was decided by the spin bowling. Herath was elite and Aus were terrible, losing SOK really hurt and Lyon underperformed.

This last game was the opposite, Sri Lanka's spinners were poor

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
2016 was decided by the spin bowling. Herath was elite and Aus were terrible, losing SOK really hurt and Lyon underperformed.

This last game was the opposite, Sri Lanka's spinners were poor
Are you saying it was the opposite in the fact that Australia's spinner's dominated while Sri-lankas where poor, that the batsmen where the deciding factor or both?

morgieb

Was SOK fit for that 2016 SL series? If so we definitely had a better spin bowling lineup available. Sok>>>>>> Any spinner other than lyon we have now.
Played the first Test, missed the latter two through injury.

IIRC Australia were on top in the first Test before Kusal Mendis dominated. Then Australia just lost the plot.

Burgey

Seemed like a ridiculous gap between tests to me for the modern era til I remembered the first only went 2.5 days

Shady Slim

International Coach

Edit: Forgot Oz lost 4-0 in India in 2013.
conversely, that was also the peak era of the lehmann era team mentality in how they played - warner was in great home form, smith i give you but hadn't played any serious cricket in the subcontinent in this era of steve smith, and really nor had many of them. that team was a paper tiger and really made their bones on bouncy roads, doctored to the same degree that sri lankan or english pitches get doctored too, sri lanka and then south africa exposed them for the frauds that they were imho

Shady Slim

International Coach
conversely, that was also the peak era of the lehmann era team mentality in how they played - warner was in great home form, smith i give you but hadn't played any serious cricket in the subcontinent in this era of steve smith, and really nor had many of them. that team was a paper tiger and really made their bones on bouncy roads, doctored to the same degree that sri lankan or english pitches get doctored too, sri lanka and then south africa exposed them for the frauds that they were imho
in saying all this as someone who was regularly hammering the point that that oz team was a paper tiger, and as the president of the gaijin for herath society, i loved that series lol

halba

International 12th Man
Green now the MVP long term looking. 38 bat ave and 30bowl average now which is solid. If he can get the average to 40s and the bowl average around same 30s, is world class.

Burgey

Green now the MVP long term looking. 38 bat ave and 30bowl average now which is solid. If he can get the average to 40s and the bowl average around same 30s, is world class.
Good signs but still very early days for him

TheJediBrah

Good signs but still very early days for him
Can only seem him getting better with the bat, he's a good chance to give up bowling at some stage though. Or drastically reduce it at least, maybe a bit like Shane Watson who wasn't fit to bowl for half the games he played.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Most impressive thing about green for me in the solid head he had on his shoulders. Got worked out by England at the start of the ashes so he adjusted his game and made runs. Averaged 50+ in Pak barely using the sweep, got him out more often that not, when we reached this series he's sweeping like a madman and looking comfortable as he could on a dustbowl.

Spark

Global Moderator
So apparently the option is there to play Maxwell instead of Starc. Surely if the pitch is remotely like last week, this is clearly the way to go? You still have three frontline-quality fast bowling options after all.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
So apparently the option is there to play Maxwell instead of Starc. Surely if the pitch is remotely like last week, this is clearly the way to go? You still have three frontline-quality fast bowling options after all.
Who's the third? Green and cummins definitely but no one else is there to bowl pace. Marnus's military med's did well in county but I doubt they will be of much worth in SL.

Spark

Global Moderator
Who's the third? Green and cummins definitely but no one else is there to bowl pace. Marnus's military med's did well in county but I doubt they will be of much worth in SL.
...I can't count. Two frontline options, which is still enough.

Gob

International Coach
And a very long batting lineup