• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in New Zealand 2022

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Way too much recency bias to say this IMO.
i suppose but it only recently came apparent this little fact that Rahane and Pujara are entrenched in the side while now being total passengers. they have problems i dont see being fixed soon

Xix2565

International Regular
Nah I'd say nz are comfortably better than India
You did just lose to Bangladesh at home though and split the series. Comfortably is a real stretch.
i suppose but it's a fact Rahane and Pujara are entrenched in the side while now being total passengers. they have problems i dont see being fixed soon
I mean the two of them are on their way out, and it's still a fair way out till the SL series. We did also beat NZ comfortably at home before losing to SA away. Recency bias can be overwhelming, don't let it get you completely.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
are they though? (on their way out) they should have been dropped a while ago but have been persisted with due the odd 40 here and there. i feel like dropping established household names is something Indian selectors struggle to do, perhaps for the wrong reasons as well

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't be English.

He needs some big dog performances in Aus and to drag that average sub 25 imo.

ATGs have a feel to them as much as a hard statistical line, but I don't quite get the Cummins vibe from Southee. Jamieson though...

Will hopefully, fingers crossed, take 400 odd at 25-26 and that's a superb career for a superb bowler.
He took 12 wickets in two Tests at 25 over there last time around, then got ridiculously dropped - presumably because we hadn't noticed closely enough that he'd already morphed into a world class bowler.

I completely agree with Athlai. 10 years of dominance should be qualification enough as 'ATG' or whatever title you want to give it. So often, there's a denial that someone is world class because their stats are skewed by performances as a young cricketer, or a slow patch when they started, or whatever else. Anderson is a perfect example. Southee might be too.

Xix2565

International Regular
are they though? (on their way out) they should have been dropped a while ago but have been persisted with due the odd 40 here and there. i feel like dropping established household names is something Indian selectors struggle to do, perhaps for the wrong reasons as well
I mean I won't defend bad selection calls but Rahane's behaviour recently doesn't scream of someone confident in his place in the side and even with the two of them in we haven't been that bad to be called inconsistent compared to Australia or NZ.

Frost

U19 Debutant
With a slightly better team though. Petersen looked to be their best bat. Ngidi and Nortje would improve their bowling. Looks to be their nadir though with QDK a huge loss.
True, but one batter who's inexperienced I don't think would have made much of a difference here- their batting line up is shakey at best. Bowling wise yea you may have a point.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Well that ended up being way more one sided than any one thought. Just shows how important the new KP was for RSA in the India series, I guess. But again, these are bound to happen especially with the no practice tests straight out of quarantine tours we have now. Unless the pitch itself is more batting friendly, they will end up causing massive collapses. Hopefully South Africa can fight back in the next test.

Well played to NZ and especially Southee and Henry. Southee really has had an Anderson-esque last 6 or 7 years in tests.

Frost

U19 Debutant
You did just lose to Bangladesh at home though and split the series. Comfortably is a real stretch.

I mean the two of them are on their way out, and it's still a fair way out till the SL series. We did also beat NZ comfortably at home before losing to SA away. Recency bias can be overwhelming, don't let it get you completely.
Yes nz did lose to Bangladesh in possibly the biggest sporting upset of all time. I don't think one blip suddenly discounts the consistency nz have had the last few years, they are almost unbeatable at home and compete ok away. On neutral grounds I'd back nz 9 out of 10

Xix2565

International Regular
Yes nz did lose to Bangladesh in possibly the biggest sporting upset of all time. I don't think one blip suddenly discounts the consistency nz have had the last few years, they are almost unbeatable at home and compete ok away. On neutral grounds I'd back nz 9 out of 10
Does the same not apply as much to India either? Literally what India have done as well in this time period. As far as neutral grounds go there are a large enough variety for the matchup between these two to be pretty even.

Frost

U19 Debutant
Does the same not apply as much to India either? Literally what India have done as well in this time period. As far as neutral grounds go there are a large enough variety for the matchup between these two to be pretty even.
Ok that's your opinion, just can't see india beating nz in tests unless it's in Asia-that's just my opinion.
I could be wrong but I belive nz were very under strength on that last tour.

Xix2565

International Regular
Ok that's your opinion, just can't see india beating nz in tests unless it's in Asia-that's just my opinion.
I could be wrong but I belive nz were very under strength on that last tour.
What is opinion about both sides being dominant at home and competitive away in most places? I am pushing back at the "NZ is comfortably better than India" idea by pointing out that their respective records don't bear that out and it's far more even.

Touring sides being under strength is a factor, but this also applies to a lot of teams and isn't necessarily related to the idea about being consistently good Test teams.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think we'd do okay in the UAE. We won (2-1) and drew (1-1) against a pretty good Pakistan there. It was a real shame Conway injured his hand last year - would've been really interesting seeing him against Ashwin and co. in the tests in India.
Yeah but even we did not have a full strength side. I think as a rule these days, sides can cope up with losing players from their best XI when playing at home. But away from home, even missing one player from the first XI can be a huge setback.

Flem274*

123/5
NZ v India in SL would be spicy. It's by far the most pace friendly Asian nation. Both sets of batsmen might leave that series a touch sad.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
NZ v India in SL would be spicy. It's by far the most pace friendly Asian nation. Both sets of batsmen might leave that series a touch sad.
Actually UAE almost always guarantees reverse swing. SL has pitches like SSC that can be super pace friendly but a lot depends on atmospheric conditions and how the climate has been that year etc IMO.

One thing though, they do produce the most bowler friendly pitches in the SC. They are the RSA of SC nations.