• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in New Zealand 2022

Flem274*

123/5
Damn that was good. Did not expect this sans Kane and Boult. Great win.

SA will come back like a freight train I feel, or at least Rabada.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Southee in the period from start of 2018 to now (the general timeframe for this pace bowling paradise) has 127 wickets in 26 Tests at 22.22 with a SR of 48.4 and 8 five wicket hauls (thanks for getting that last wicket while I was typing this up Southee). He's been better than Bumrah's entire career basically so far (113 wickets in 27 Tests at 22.85/SR 51.5). He obviously has great partners in crime, but he's been surprisingly underrated I feel.
Bumrah's away record is very impressive though

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That's a fantastic win, but I'd be very surprised if South Africa don't come back harder in the next spin around at Hagley. Rare as hen's teeth a victory against the Proteas, so bask in the joy of it.
would you really be surprised? I saw NZ's historical record put up against SA on the tv yesterday, and yes it looks bad - but this SA side is hopeless. Since their loss at home to SL they have bordered on minnow status. Certainly the weakest they've been in my lifetime

Elgar for example is a solid player but I can't see him blasting revenge century next test when the chips are down the way some other players around the world could

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
would you really be surprised? I saw NZ's historical record put up against SA on the tv yesterday, and yes it looks bad - but this SA side is hopeless. Since their loss at home to SL they have bordered on minnow status. Certainly the weakest they've been in my lifetime

Elgar for example is a solid player but I can't see him blasting revenge century next test when the chips are down the way some other players around the world could
Wouldn't lose my sleep over a revenge 5fer from Rabada either. IMG_20220219_062608.jpg

Flem274*

123/5
I'm going to Jimmy Anderson the stats a little.

Since and including Southee's breakout performance in India in 2012 as a 22/23 year old, Southee has 290 wickets @ 25.46.

He's dominated everywhere except Australia and SA (2 tests). Average in UAE isn't pretty but was instrumental to good performances there with wickets like YK and Misbah.

Fingers crossed his career average is on track to reflect he's a solid ATVG bowler.

Flem274*

123/5

They just beat India. SA are staggering but worthy of great respect.

vandem

International 12th Man
would you really be surprised? I saw NZ's historical record put up against SA on the tv yesterday, and yes it looks bad - but this SA side is hopeless. Since their loss at home to SL they have bordered on minnow status. Certainly the weakest they've been in my lifetime…
Didn’t the Saffers just come back from 0-1 down to beat India 2-1?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Bumrah's away record is very impressive though
Southee’s record since his axing in the 2012 SA series, even with some notable rough patches in that time is outstanding: 67 matches, 293 wickets at 25.5. There’s no two ways about it, he’s been better for longer than any kiwi save Hadlee.

Edit: ack, Flem beat me to it

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
India have fallen off steeply too IMO. That middle order is in dire form

I think Australia and NZ are the only consistent teams going now.

Chubb

International Regular

Flem274*

123/5
Southee does this for another 3 years and he's an ATG
Don't be English.

He needs some big dog performances in Aus and to drag that average sub 25 imo.

ATGs have a feel to them as much as a hard statistical line, but I don't quite get the Cummins vibe from Southee. Jamieson though...

Will hopefully, fingers crossed, take 400 odd at 25-26 and that's a superb career for a superb bowler.