• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa 2021-22

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not dropping and why? our tail and middle order is so frail if there is zero spin we need a strong middle to lower.
Wanting to replace the experienced spinner with an extra batsmen/bowler when already playing a quality all rounder option in Mulder and have a keeper batting in the top 6, is creating a solution to a problem that does not exist. The availability of a decent spinner to balance an attack far outweighs any apparent advantage having a 5th seam bowler or batsmen at number 8 may bring.

Dendarii

International Debutant
It's also worth noting that Maharaj has the second-best first-class figures at the Wanderers, achieved earlier this year. Obviously, it was against a domestic batting line up who aren't going to be as good at playing spin as the Indian batsmen, and the test match pitch may be less conducive to spin than that one was, but it's still an indication that he's not automatically going to be completely ineffective.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
It's also worth noting that Maharaj has the second-best first-class figures at the Wanderers, achieved earlier this year. Obviously, it was against a domestic batting line up who aren't going to be as good at playing spin as the Indian batsmen, and the test match pitch may be less conducive to spin than that one was, but it's still an indication that he's not automatically going to be completely ineffective.
You haven't watched India much lately have you?

WpGuy

U19 Cricketer
Wanting to replace the experienced spinner with an extra batsmen/bowler when already playing a quality all rounder option in Mulder and have a keeper batting in the top 6, is creating a solution to a problem that does not exist. The availability of a decent spinner to balance an attack far outweighs any apparent advantage having a 5th seam bowler or batsmen at number 8 may bring.
Mulder at 7 averages 15, maharaj similiar bavuma 32 so we have like 4 batsmen who can scores runs basically drop mulder than for a batsmen at 7 and play 3 seams and maharaj than. our batting is wonky our bowling is fine.

WpGuy

U19 Cricketer
Dropping Maharaj is just idiotic.
Will he get a 5ever or 10er in sa wickets on the highveldt? and or make 50 plus runs in an innings him and mulder together at 7 and 8 atm besides mulder bringing a wicket taking option give us no wickets or batting this point in time on the highveldt mulder needs runs asap.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Which shows you know nothing about Mulder. He is inexperienced and young but a quality batsmen. He is a batting allrounder not a bowling allrounder and is most definitely a future top 6 SA batsmen. I would rather have him in the team than just about any other batsmen in the country, bar van Tonder, long term. Yes we know the SA batting is weak, but destroying the balance of the team and the bowling attack to try fit an extra batsmen is pointless and shows a desperation that not even close to required.

And yes Maharaj is more than capable of taking 5 wickets in the highveld. But that is not and will not be his job. The 3 excellent seamers we have will likely take the majority of the wickets. With Maharaj adding control and support with a few extra wickets thrown in. Along with Mulder hopefully bringing some good seaming spells.

Stefan9

International Debutant
There is no reason to play 5 seamers ever. Mulder in the team means the 4 seamers are taken care off.
A Test is 5 days, a spinner should always be part of the team.
Dropping him cause you are worried about the batting is absurd . Drop the batsmen who aren't doing the job.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Prefer keeping Thakur hungry for a regular spot and then unleashing the angry young man inside when India most needs him.

Also think Maharaj is quality and can pose questions to the suspect middle order. That is if he gets a chance to bowl at them.

WpGuy

U19 Cricketer
Which shows you know nothing about Mulder. He is inexperienced and young but a quality batsmen. He is a batting allrounder not a bowling allrounder and is most definitely a future top 6 SA batsmen. I would rather have him in the team than just about any other batsmen in the country, bar van Tonder, long term. Yes we know the SA batting is weak, but destroying the balance of the team and the bowling attack to try fit an extra batsmen is pointless and shows a desperation that not even close to required.

And yes Maharaj is more than capable of taking 5 wickets in the highveld. But that is not and will not be his job. The 3 excellent seamers we have will likely take the majority of the wickets. With Maharaj adding control and support with a few extra wickets thrown in. Along with Mulder hopefully bringing some good seaming spells.
Wrong I know he is a batting allrounder I have followed him at lower levels and averages 45 batting 5, well done, facts are his stats at international level is of a bowling allrounder, I hope he comes right but you just want to pick all the young talent and let them sink Australia pick guys at age 30 plus hardly anyone in their early 20s I see why you not the coach of sa :) Van tonder is good like hamza and kyle v and petersen none have proved they int quality yet and van tonder is having an average year so far, you can't just say he will definetly make it like at breekze and van jaarsveld and that guy indian titans realeased now who was age 17 seen as a future star at natal originally and failed.

WpGuy

U19 Cricketer
I have more faith in olivier,rabada,nortjie taking 10-20wickets by themselves than our batsmen making over 300 runs,

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Olivier is a threat but he is definitely no Southee or Anderson who are genuine swing bowlers. Olivier is almost like Jamieson who is even more dangerous.
Maharaj linde aren't the kind of spinners who can trouble Indians. I doubt except Centurion Maharaj will play anywhere else.
How tall is Olivier?

Judging by the videos, Olivier seems to be around 6'3-6'4 ; I wouldn't say he is like Kyle Jamieson who happens to be 6'8 :eek:

I am glad Philander has retired. He was South Africa's most devastating/effective bowler last time.

Last edited:

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
How tall is Olivier?

Judging by the videos, Olivier seems to be around 6'3-6'4 ; I wouldn't say he is like Kyle Jamieson who happens to be 6'8 :eek:

I am glad Philander has retired. He was South Africa's most devastating/effective bowler last time.
He is a tad quicker than Jamieson & he does get some extra lift from the surface. Watch few of his spells vs Pakistan in 2019.. He literally blew them away single handedly.

WpGuy

U19 Cricketer
He is a tad quicker than Jamieson & he does get some extra lift from the surface. Watch few of his spells vs Pakistan in 2019.. He literally blew them away single handedly.
I be more worried about Oliver on form than rabada and nortjie if he displays the 2019 **** form we have 3 fast destroyers and than mulder can swing it and tie an end up, again horses for courses id pick 7 batsmen and have mulder at 8, makram has shown in odis and t20s he can bowl if needed.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Markram can contain a bit hence he is ok for a few overs in white ball. He is in no way a good option for tests.
Keshav has to play.