• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa 2021-22

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
It would be stupid not to play Maharaj. Indian line up is full of right handers and they have, more than people know, struggled against left hand spinners.

I would definitely play Maharaj + 3 fast bowlers + 1 all rounder (or batsman)

India will most likely also play
Ashwin + 3 fast bowlers + thakur(all-rounder)

Since Rahane hasn't been given the Vice Captaincy is that a suggestion that he may not start in the 1st test?

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Aggarwal
Rahul
Pujara
Kohli
Vihari
Pant
Ashwin
Thakur
Shami
Bumrah
Siraj

The fifth bowler may seem unnecessary in some conditions but when you find yourself in those tricky situations where batsmen have got their eye in against your frontline bowlers, and you need another option, having a proper 5th bowler really helps bring a breakthrough. Also, you are able to rotate your bowlers better, so they tire less and are able to bowl fresher and better. So as a bowling unit you are able to bowl out a side for 200 instead of 250. (Can also help remove the pesky lower order quicker.)

So overall I believe you gain more in terms of runs by having a proper 5th bowler than you lose for not having that extra batsman who would have only scored x number of runs being 6th choice batter. Even then, the all rounder may score close to that anyway.

So yeah I would definitely want India to play both Ashwin and Thakur + 3 fast bowlers

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Maybe in Jo'burg if the pitch there is clearly sub 200, then 4 bowlers is enough. Then you don't need 5 bowler with teams getting rolled for 150 in 55 overs. Just play your 4 best quicks

Teja.

Global Moderator
Rahul who averages 35.12 after 40 tests and 26.26 over 18 tests since 2018 has been made vice captain for South Africa.

Traditionally, any young player with no real track record in tests who performed similarly to how KL has done since 2018 was booted out (Kaif Yuvraj etc). However, it seems we now have an 'IPL quota' in the team to fast track such performers to captaincy.

Indian 1-7 batsmen since 2018 (min 10 tests):

1639846015376.png

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Rahul who averages 35.12 after 40 tests and 26.26 over 18 tests since 2018 has been made vice captain for South Africa.

Traditionally, any young player with no real track record in tests who performed similarly to how KL has done since 2018 was booted out (Kaif Yuvraj etc). However, it seems we now have an 'IPL quota' in the team to fast track such performers to captaincy.

Indian 1-7 batsmen since 2018 (min 10 tests):

View attachment 30137
Why are you completely ignoring the fact that rahul JUST played a huge part in india winning a series in england while contributing massively?

Teja.

Global Moderator
Why are you completely ignoring the fact that rahul JUST played a huge part in india winning a series in england while contributing massively?
I am not questioning his place in the team, more his ascension to vice captaincy.

ma1978

International Debutant
Not really that many other great options barring Ashwin who I don’t think will get a look in

Pujara is older and less secure

Won’t be agarwal or vihari

Pant is a possibility but he has a lot on his plate

Won’t pick a pacer

Teja.

Global Moderator
Not really that many other great options barring Ashwin who I don’t think will get a look in

Pujara is older and less secure

Won’t be agarwal or vihari

Pant is a possibility but he has a lot on his plate

Won’t pick a pacer
Just pick Rohit as VC. The idea of grooming a future captain as VC is a good one when there is a suitable candidate but when a guy is averaging 25 for the last 3-4 years and has just had one good series, it's a terrible idea IMO.

WpGuy

U19 Cricketer
Just pick Rohit as VC. The idea of grooming a future captain as VC is a good one when there is a suitable candidate but when a guy is averaging 25 for the last 3-4 years and has just had one good series, it's a terrible idea IMO.
We have Bavuma as vc averaging 32 so same story.

ma1978

International Debutant
rohit isn’t playing

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
Don't think Lord Thakur will play in Centurion. They won't definitely risk the fragile batting line up in 1st game. Even though someone like Thakur is more likely to outscore Pujara or Rahane but in the end they will not bring him right from the start like in England test series. As I said test match is unlikely to go the distance. So a 5th bowler is more or less a liability. Vihari will bowl when required & we also have Mayank.

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
I am not questioning his place in the team, more his ascension to vice captaincy.
They don't have any permanent batsman in the XI bar Kohli & Rahul in the series. For all we know this might be Pujara's final test series. Rahane will perhaps not be in starting XI for 1st test with Iyer & Vihari in better form.
Ash may not play all 3 tests due to conditions. That leaves only KL Rahul as a VC candidate.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't think Lord Thakur will play in Centurion. They won't definitely risk the fragile batting line up in 1st game. Even though someone like Thakur is more likely to outscore Pujara or Rahane but in the end they will not bring him right from the start like in England test series. As I said test match is unlikely to go the distance. So a 5th bowler is more or less a liability. Vihari will bowl when required & we also have Mayank.
The question-mark is whether Thakur is a good enough bowler to be the third seamer but regrettably, probably not. And given that he's already broken down once in a Test match (in his debut), it is too much of a risk probably.