• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

sunilz

International Regular
A team with 7 legitimate bowlers that bats to 11 (whilst retaining an ATG attack)

Hobbs
Sutcliffe
Bradman
Hammond
Kallis
Sobers
Gilchrist+
Imran
Hadlee
Marshall
Warne
To play against

Gavaskar
Hutton
Lara
Viv Richards
Smith
Tendulkar
Sangakkara (wkt)
Murali
Steyn
Ambrose
Mcgrath

kyear2

International Coach
A team with 7 legitimate bowlers that bats to 11 (whilst retaining an ATG attack)

Hobbs
Sutcliffe
Bradman
Hammond
Kallis
Sobers
Gilchrist+
Imran
Hadlee
Marshall
Warne
The best thing about this team is the codon. Hard to get a better one from among the ATGs

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kallis and Warne in the cordon is nothing special. They were solid but not the types to take diving catches that others wouldn't get to.

Depends if you want a chubby ****er who will stand in place and catch everything that comes to them but leaves anything more than a meter either side.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has

Hobbs
Sutcliffe
Bradman
Hammond
Kallis
Sobers
Gilchrist+
Imran
Hadlee
Marshall
Warne
vs an elite fielding xi

Greenidge (slip)
Simpson (slip)
Ponting (point/cover)
GChappell (slip)
Richards (point/cover)
Border (mid wicket)
Knott +
Wasim (mid on/off)
Jadeja (mid on/off)
Holding (boundary)
Garner (gully)

kyear2

International Coach
Kallis and Warne in the cordon is nothing special. They were solid but not the types to take diving catches that others wouldn't get to.

Depends if you want a chubby ****er who will stand in place and catch everything that comes to them but leaves anything more than a meter either side.
Meant Hammond, Sobers and Kallis. Look back at some of Steyn highlight vids, Kallis was pretty special. Even from memory, don't recall him dripping much while he was playing.
Hammond and Sobers were all world great back there.

TheJediBrah

I know Kallis was solid just don't recall him taking any wild one-handed screamers like you see these days from like a Steve Smith regularly.

Bolo.

International Captain
Quality slip fielding is probably 95% not dropping a ball you get your hands to and getting moving early and correctly. I saw Kallis take more blinders than any other slip as well, but thats largely a function of watching him far more than any other quality slip.

kyear2

International Coach
Quality slip fielding is probably 95% not dropping a ball you get your hands to and getting moving early and correctly. I saw Kallis take more blinders than any other slip as well, but thats largely a function of watching him far more than any other quality slip.
Yeah, I think the most difficult slip catches are the ones where you have to stay low and lean / dive forward to catch the dying ball. I've seen Kallis make enough of those.

TheJediBrah

Wouldn't exactly call Smith the greatest slip fielder I've seen though. Solid, but not a standout of the ones I've seen.
That's why I use him as an example. Not quite as reliable as a Mark Waugh, but takes catches that you cant know believe anyone would get to

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
You miss Smith when he's not there. Like on the last day at Lords when he was off the field with a busted arm and concussion and three straightforward chances went down. :sailor:

OverratedSanity

Kallis was an awesome slip catcher. Very safe and could pull off screamers. I dohave a preference for slippers like Taylor/Jayawardene/Dravid though who also showed they could be brilliant fielding in the slips to a spinner. Very different kind of challenge which kallis probably didnt get the chance to show how good he was.

bagapath

International Captain
Wouldn't exactly call Smith the greatest slip fielder I've seen though. Solid, but not a standout of the ones I've seen.
not challenging you. but am curious to know who you would call the standout slip fielders.
I would put mark waugh and mark taylor up there.

TheJediBrah

Was Mark Taylor really that good? Definitely none better than Mark Waugh though

Taylor gets credit for possibly the most ridiculously good slip catch ever, the one where he fell over and kicked the ball up to himself