• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
You always need one or two players like that if only to remind everyone that the written rules actually matter at some level and force a level of consistency, plus it's by far the best way to draw attention to places where the rules are objectively ridiculous or inconsistent and get them fixed. But sport is just way, way, way too complicated, nuanced and inconsistent in a hard "game" sense (and, lbrh, doesn't actually matter enough) to not be super reliant on these sorts of unspoken, unwritten and wooly conventions that everyone agrees to be bound by in order to not make it a miserable mess dominated by rule sharks. That would be utterly hideous.
I think this is particularly true to cricket, but I do agree anyway.

Spark

Global Moderator
I think this is particularly true to cricket, but I do agree anyway.
Honestly if anything cricket is pretty good by sports standards because a lot of the questions are objective and relate to clean yes/no questions that can be measured physically. Even the obviously-subjective LBW law has been made pretty rigorous and repeatable by DRS with reasonable tolerances for subjective interpretation. Also the rules against arguing with/dissenting from umpires' decisions significantly limits the scope for the worst kind of rules lawyering.

The football codes, on the other hand...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Honestly if anything cricket is pretty good by sports standards because a lot of the questions are objective and relate to clean yes/no questions that can be measured physically. Even the obviously-subjective LBW law has been made pretty rigorous and repeatable by DRS with reasonable tolerances for subjective interpretation.

The football codes, on the other hand...
I think that's why it does particularly apply to cricket. So many decisions in football codes are discretionary that rule-hacks like Ashwin basically just get told to gagf, implicitly. The more objective nature of cricket decisions means players like Ashwin can more successfully hack the laws.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Rohit is usually pretty reserved, but when he does open his mouth it's always absolutely ridiculous. I kind of enjoy it, especially in combination with what he's like as a cricketer, but I can definitely see why people would find him dislikeable.

Ashwin can be a massive **** too. I also enjoy this, but again I can see why people wouldn't.
Think Rohit's personality comes across a bit weirdly in English. He's a very chill guy who is never serious/literal when he is talking to the press. He's usually either trolling or ribbing them. He's great at man management because once there's an identified talent, he backs them to the moon and is never stressed out. He commands a lot of loyalty from younger players in the team like Pant even though he's not the captain.

He does not take well to someone trying to out-alpha him or mess around with his spot in the side though.

Spark

Global Moderator
Think Rohit's personality comes across a bit weirdly in English. He's a very chill guy who is never serious/literal when he is talking to the press. He's usually either trolling or ribbing them. He's great at man management because once there's an identified talent, he backs them to the moon and is never stressed out. He commands a lot of loyalty from younger players in the team like Pant even though he's not the captain.

He does not take well to someone trying to out-alpha him or mess around with his spot in the side though.
Wrt this discussion mostly what I remember is him being responsible for probably the worst sledge in history (which then prompted one of the best)

Shady Slim

International Coach

oh pant's another one i don't like

maybe it is just fat shaming

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Likely First Test starter Mark Harris showing his value with fight on a difficult wicket

Edit: Yeah wrong thread

Teja.

Global Moderator
Kohli is constantly irritating.

Ashwin is usually either insightful or at least just amusing when he takes himself too seriously. Can be a bit annoying when he carries on in 20 tweet twitter storms about some injustice though.

Rahul is like Kohli but worse in terms of personality. Hate ****s who feel like they're talking down to fans.

Have no opinion about Jadeja.

The rest of the Indian test side is really nice/wholesome for the most part IMO. Very little prima donna **** or OTT aggression.

and wtf, Pant is one of the most likeable characters in cricket.

Spark

Global Moderator
Pant is hilarious though, in a way that only those people who are either so lacking in self-awareness or so utterly self-aware that the two are indistinguishable can be

Teja.

Global Moderator
Pant is hilarious though, in a way that only those people who are either so lacking in self-awareness or so utterly self-aware that the two are indistinguishable can be
There's this great video where Pant, after getting some shellackings for always trying to smash everything and not playing according to the situation, gives a press conference where he tries for like 30 seconds to say something in the manner of a kid insincerely reading out a written apology verbatim like "Since I was a kid, I've always believed that I should back my natural game but I've now come to realize that there's no such thing as natural talent and you have to play as per the match situation and what the team demands. A good player is one who has to play as per the match situation and..." and then he breaks away, smiles sadly and says "Sorry, I forgot what else I was supposed to say here" clearly implying he doesn't buy that at all and wants to play the way he likes.

He's so pure. Just a metric ton of self belief to block out outside criticism and 'advice' about his style which is necessary considering there are idiots even on CW who still think Pant should not be playing test cricket despite playing more great knocks (including on crumbling pitches and against ATG bowling attacks) in 25 tests than your 'normal' test batsmen plays in 100.

The press conference if from 4:40 in the below video:

Shady Slim

International Coach
i think it might also be because "rishabh" is one of the most aesthetically displeasing names i've ever seen

apologies to any cw users named rishabh

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Pant has had some of the purest and best cricket sledges in my time of watching cricket just within the last 12 months or so. Will never forget "yeh Bhagwan ka naam leke pitch pe khudhar raha hai" :laugh:

Translation - He is taking the Lord's name and going down the pitch. Basically meaning its a Hail Mary on the batsman's part.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Pant has had some of the purest and best cricket sledges in my time of watching cricket just within the last 12 months or so. Will never forget "yeh Bhagwan ka naam leke pitch pe khudhar raha hai" :laugh:

Translation - He is taking the Lord's name and going down the pitch. Basically meaning its a Hail Mary on the batsman's part.
I think it was in reference to Pope who was looking clueless in India and doign exactly that as well. :laugh: