• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lara's 1999 series vs Aus or Smith's 2019 series vs Eng?

Brian Lara or Steve Smith

• Total voters

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What was Sachin's/ Ponting's most memorable innings/ series?

Ponting's most memorable innings was probably his 150 in the 2005 ashes, but what about series?

mr_mister

Sachin never got more than 2 hundreds/500 runs in a series, so it may as well be the 98 Aus series where he tamed Warne. Two 150+ scores in 3 tests

mr_mister

With Ponting he scored 2 doubles against India in 03/04, against SA he got 3 tons in 05/06, but both were on flat home decks

I think a really under the radar series for Ponting is 99 vs SL, a series which we lost.

Coming in at 6, he top scored 3 times in 4 innings including 96 in a team total of 188, 52 in a total of 140 and 105 in 342.

Neither Steve or Mark Waugh passed 20 runs in an innings during the series, it was a tough one for batting.

mr_mister

Also I think his 197 against Pakistan was his best innings later in 1999, as it came after 3 ducks and was potentially career saving(he might have been dropped and gone the way of Bevan had he failed badly again)

Last edited:

sunilz

International Regular
Sachin never got more than 2 hundreds/500 runs in a series, so it may as well be the 98 Aus series where he tamed Warne. Two 150+ scores in 3 tests
aus 2007/2008 . Scored like 490 runs

SA 2010/11 . Scored 320 @80

Memorable knock : vs Eng 103 in 2008 chasing 387

150 vs Steyn/Morkel in 2010/11

subshakerz

International Coach
Ponting's zenith would be against South Africa at home, 3 hundreds against a decent attack in 2005-6 including one to chase and win.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So yeah, Tendulkar never made 500+ in a series? I thought he would have but I suppose he played in a lot of three test series tbf to him.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
With Ponting he scored 2 doubles against India in 03/04, against SA he got 3 tons in 05/06, but both were on flat home decks

I think a really under the radar series for Ponting is 99 vs SL, a series which we lost.

Coming in at 6, he top scored 3 times in 4 innings including 96 in a team total of 188, 52 in a total of 140 and 105 in 342.

Neither Steve or Mark Waugh passed 20 runs in an innings during the series, it was a tough one for batting.
He basically ruined the 2006-7 Ashes series in the first three tests by scoring a zillion runs too. Though he had a fair bit of help in that series

_00_deathscar

International Regular
So yeah, Tendulkar never made 500+ in a series? I thought he would have but I suppose he played in a lot of three test series tbf to him.
Apparently so on all counts! Just not a player to go big in a 3 test series - if he had more 4-5 test series probably would have done well though based on the below.
Number of tests played as per match in a series:

Sachin:
4th: 14 @ 53.85 average, 3 hundreds
5th: 3 @ 65.80 average, 1 hundred

Lara:
4th: 19 @ 52.78 average, 4 hundreds
5th: 11 @ 64.70 average, 3 hundreds
6th: 2 @ 134 average, 1 hundrd

Ponting:
4th: 14 @ 57 average, 4 hundreds
5th: 7 @ 35.30 average, 0 hundreds
6th: 1 @ 30 average, 0 hundreds

mr_mister

And 500 runs is the benchmark of dominance for you.

And scoring atleast 7 to 8 centuries, averaging atleast 45 in Asia is benchmark of dominance for me.

Not being crap bowler against almost every great player of spin is benchmark for me.
500 runs or minimum 3 tons

This benchmark was kinda set by Hammond and Bradman long ago as the sign of an ATG batting series.

As I said Sachin dominated some WCs so no question he's an ODI dominator

If Sachin had got a 4th test in the '98 series against Australia he could have got there. Alas