• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lara's 1999 series vs Aus or Smith's 2019 series vs Eng?

Brian Lara or Steve Smith

• Total voters

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
two fantastic performances by two fantastic players...lara shades it for me...for that otherworldly 153* and also for sheer aesthetics i guess...he was just so wonderful to watch in full flow...one thing about the ashes is that while he was far and away the best batsman on either side, the best innings in that series was actually not from smith...

Last edited:

Chrish

International Debutant
Smith’s performance has to be greatest sporting “comeback” ever since Muhammad Ali’s return from the ban, isn’t it?

Has there ever been a better sporting redemption?

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He was not bowling ****, MacGill was just bowling better than him when they needed to play only one spinner. He bowled brilliantly in the first innings at Jamaica, for example, to control the runs.
Sorry but no. He was bowling terribly, it's been very well documented and was the source of the Waugh v Warne fued. Not sure if you're aware but having surgery on your shoulder can kind of affect your bowling. Also they weren't just playing 1 spinner, Warne was dropped for Miller who then played alongside MacGill as a 2nd spinner. Sorry but you just couldn't be more wrong

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Brings back very bad memories but Oracle Team USA was losing 8-1 to Team NZ in 2013 America's Cup before winning 8 straight races to win the series 9-8.

Slifer

International Captain
any time Warne bottles it, its because of an injury to him or his grandma..
Warne was legitimately returning from surgery. My issue is that the same Warne fans, never give other players the same leeway. Lara the man in question literally had a fcked up shoulder for years including during the Frank Worrell series in 2000. But all you'll ever hear is how McGrath owned him....

Burgey

Cook 2010/11

Lara's was better than Smith, better attack he did it against.
Please, Cook's 2010/11 was against Ben Hilfenhaus and Peter Siddle ffs. Every time he toured here against an at least half decent attack he died in his toffy, poncy behind.

Burgey

two fantastic performances by two fantastic players...lara shades it for me...for that otherworldly 153* and also for sheer aesthetics i guess...he was just so wonderful to watch in full flow...one thing about the ashes is that while he was far and away the best batsman on either side, the best innings in that series was actually not from smith...
It was though. Stokes slogged a lot and got away with it. Immensely powerful hitting, but shades of Botham 81 in that he had nothing to lose from an expectations POV when he began that knock. Amazing innings, though.

The real answer to the best OS series by a batsman though is TOTAB in the Windies in 83/84, given conditions and the side he played against. Insane series.

TheJediBrah

Stokes' knock wasn't as good as any of Smith's best 4 in that series tbh. Context of the game and the result elevates it immensely but as far as the actual batting goes it was a whole lot of mistimed slogs dropping into gaps

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Sorry but no. He was bowling terribly, it's been very well documented and was the source of the Waugh v Warne fued. Not sure if you're aware but having surgery on your shoulder can kind of affect your bowling. Also they weren't just playing 1 spinner, Warne was dropped for Miller who then played alongside MacGill as a 2nd spinner. Sorry but you just couldn't be more wrong
Miller was also doubling up as 3rd seamer and I watched the entire series. It was not "well documented" that he was bowling crap because he was not. He was not his best and MacGill was bowling better and Miller gave them two options in one and hence he was dropped.

You seem to think a bowler either has to bowl great or crap and there is nothing in between. And you can keep calling me wrong if that makes you feel better. It wont mean its any less false though.

TheJediBrah

Miller was also doubling up as 3rd seamer and I watched the entire series. It was not "well documented" that he was bowling crap because he was not. He was not his best and MacGill was bowling better and Miller gave them two options in one and hence he was dropped.

You seem to think a bowler either has to bowl great or crap and there is nothing in between. And you can keep calling me wrong if that makes you feel better. It wont mean its any less false though.
You ever tried bowling after shoulder surgery? And you're telling me you think MacGill was bowling so well that "Peak Warne" was dropped for him? I've seen some guys overrate MacGill but that's next level

oh and you're wrong

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
You ever tried bowling after shoulder surgery? And you're telling me you think MacGill was bowling so well that "Peak Warne" was dropped for him? I've seen some guys overrate MacGill but that's next level

oh and you're wrong
:laugh: So your issue is with my post when I said "peak McWarne" when obviously I meant the entire attack. I am pretty sure it was Gillespie at his peak, McGrath at his best, Warne was good, MacGill probably at his best and Miller at his best. If you want me to edit that post out to say all this... But keep saying I am wrong as it obviously is very important to you. :)

TheJediBrah

:laugh: So your issue is with my post when I said "peak McWarne"
How was that not obvious? That was the only thing I was responding to.

That's part of why your intransigence was so confusing, it was still a very strong attack. I didn't get why you were refusing to admit that Warne wasn't at his best because it didn't really change the point. You can edit the post if you want but I don't really see the point

Burgey

You're proceeding under the mistaken belief HB is posting in good faith. He very, very, very, very rarely does.