• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympics

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Max Whitlock you beauty, retains his Pommel Horse gold, our greatest gymnast ever. A true legend for us. Into double figures for Golds for this games now, hunting those pesky Russkis.

Chubb

International Regular
San Marino won a silver in mixed team shooting to go with their bronze. Alessandra Perilli and Gian Marco Berti have earned a term as Captains Regent in the oldest land of liberty.

Burgey

Nah. All that money is about getting the best out of them. If you've prepared well and given your all and are the best in the country, then there's nothing to apologise for. Sometimes you can't win.
Yeah there is. Just say, like Zamps, “sorry I didn’t get it done.” Compare that with the spud Magnussen approach from 2012

Burgey

nah

Parents do the heavy lifting in swimming

Hacks get rookie contracts in cricket
Nah, the AIS is taxpayer funded. They need to be grateful for what they get and apologise for wasting money when they don’t perform. A simple “sorry” and we move on

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Just checking the golf and thought silver medalist Rory Sabbatini's moniker didn't sound typically Slovakian and it turns out he was born in Durban and represented RSA until 2019.

Also (according to Wiki; usual health warnings apply) holds US and British citizenship, so has quite a few bases covered.

weeman27bob

International Vice-Captain
From what I've seen Team GB was mostly predicted to win about 14 gold medals this Olympics, and we're on 10 so far.

Sounds like the track cycling is much more of a question mark than it has been in the past few Olympics, but if we can sneak one or two there, and then a few in boxing/sailing, we should comfortably beat that and hopefully get up to around the 19 golds we got in Beijing. High 20s like London/Rio very optimistic though.

Uppercut

I'd find it pretty hard to believe someone at such an elite level wouldn't be disappointed with finishing third (or second, come to that) unless they were like a rank outsider who's come from nowhere. It's that mindset which gets you to an elite level in the first place. I also think it's perfectly acceptable for athletes to apologize to the people of their nation for under performing and letting them down when they don't win. It's just about managing your own expectations more than those of other people.
Some of them feel this way but some of it’s for show. I reckon plenty of athletes are proud of their silver medals but feel like they have to pretend they’re not.

Depends on the event too. Losing a final is a much worse way to get a silver medal than doing the second best gymnastic routine.

Howe_zat

Audio File
From what I've seen Team GB was mostly predicted to win about 14 gold medals this Olympics, and we're on 10 so far.

Sounds like the track cycling is much more of a question mark than it has been in the past few Olympics, but if we can sneak one or two there, and then a few in boxing/sailing, we should comfortably beat that and hopefully get up to around the 19 golds we got in Beijing. High 20s like London/Rio very optimistic though.
Yeah fair assessment. 2012 and 2016 had basically everything go perfectly.

If you look at the medals from 2008 they’re almost all cycling, rowing and sailing. If we can match that medal tally this year while being a much more all-around team I think it’s a better Games.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Some of them feel this way but some of it’s for show. I reckon plenty of athletes are proud of their silver medals but feel like they have to pretend they’re not.

Depends on the event too. Losing a final is a much worse way to get a silver medal than doing the second best gymnastic routine.
Roger Black in 1996 probably a good example of someone who couldn’t be anything but delighted with Silver. There was zero chance of Gold given how good Johnson was. No doubt he’d have dreamed of gold but still.