• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 30 batsmen of the modern era (1990s -Current)

rtramdas

U19 12th Man
Smith vs Sachin can be an interesting discussion when we think about the different factors we have to consider. Plain batting average can be misleading sometimes and that is point of doing these exercises. For the period Ramdas mentioned if we exclude the record against minnows as I have done in this exercise it gives a somewhat different picture.
Sachin has 11869 @ 55.98. And smith has 7162 @ 65.70 for the period I have considered here, 2013-21.
I think you excluded runs against Zimbabwe too. ZIM was at least a lower ranked side with the Flower brothers,Houghtan,Campbell,Brandes,Streak, Strang,Godwin etc forming the core group.That means Sachin could still score 12787 runs @57.35 average.Again Sachin had to cope with lots of <25 averaging bowlers during this period. How many Smith played against till date?Again, even after excluding BAN runs, Sachin still averages 57.35 abroad( lot more weightage) during this period. All these counts...

Bolo.

International Captain
He was chosen as the front line spinner vs Pakistan at Lords in 2010. He just wasn't very good.

For the second bolded part, he wasn't setting the world on fire upon his second return. He settled his place in the team after Perth test 13/14 ashes but up to that point from the second return included tests in India and England. So 15 tests overall to settle his place.
Being the primary spinner doesnt mean being picked as a spinner. See the bits and pieces RSA spinners from the 90s. Not that a single match means anything anyway.

I suspect the point you are making on settled is semantics/poor phrasing from me. What I mean is that he went from 2 years of not getting a game to playing pretty much everything for years afterwards in 2013. The fact that he hadn't completely hit his stride is normal. Its really impressive that he did it after so few matches learning the ropes at test level, especially considering he wasn't in a Voges type situation with a game properly developed, but he wasnt in a Sachin situation either.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Being the primary spinner doesnt mean being picked as a spinner. See the bits and pieces RSA spinners from the 90s. Not that a single match means anything anyway.

I suspect the point you are making on settled is semantics/poor phrasing from me. What I mean is that he went from 2 years of not getting a game to playing pretty much everything for years afterwards in 2013. The fact that he hadn't completely hit his stride is normal. Its really impressive that he did it after so few matches learning the ropes at test level, especially considering he wasn't in a Voges type situation with a game properly developed, but he wasnt in a Sachin situation either.
I think Australia lucked out by selecting him just as he was hitting his peak, on that upward curve. Had they let him stay away any longer, he would have still done what he did post 2015 but he may not have had a long enough career by this point to be in the ATG discussions. That is credit to him as well though, think he figured his batting out way quicker than someone else with similar technique might have. He is very Sachin like in how well he works out his own batting but how much he seems to suck as a captain, tactically etc.

venkyrenga

U19 12th Man
I think you excluded runs against Zimbabwe too. ZIM was at least a lower ranked side with the Flower brothers,Houghtan,Campbell,Brandes,Streak, Strang,Godwin etc forming the core group.That means Sachin could still score 12787 runs @57.35 average.Again Sachin had to cope with lots of <25 averaging bowlers during this period. How many Smith played against till date?Again, even after excluding BAN runs, Sachin still averages 57.35 abroad( lot more weightage) during this period. All these counts...
Yes, Zim in the 90s and even Ban in the late 00s were decent to good and are actually included in this exercise. But even that average is inflated by the extremely batting friendly era of 2010s. Once you adjust for that it may come to about 55. And after you remove Smith's couple of weak years at the top it would roughly be 7000 @ 64 vs 12000 @ 55.

Hey, for me it's a tough call. I would say lets wait a few years to see if he really better than Sachin. But from what he has accomplished so far it seems like he is up there with him. And if we are talking both formats of the game or a complete batsman, it's definitely got to be Sachin.

Last edited:

rtramdas

U19 12th Man
Yes, Zim in the 90s and even Ban in the late 00s were decent to good and are actually included in this exercise. But even that average is inflated by the extremely batting friendly era of 2010s. Once you adjust for that it may come to about 55. And after you remove Smith's couple of weak years at the top it would roughly be 7000 @ 64 vs 12000 @ 55.

Hey, for me it's a tough call. I would say lets wait a few years to see if he really better than Sachin. But from what he has accomplished so far it seems like he is up there with him. And if we are talking both formats of the game or a complete batsman, it's definitely got to be Sachin.
whether it be batting friendly or not , Sachin came against lots and lots of <25 averaging bowlers thru out his career. How many <25 averaging bowlers Smith faced in his career till date ? Only 3 comes to mind ... Steyn,Philander & Rabada. Ashwin& Jadeja has <25 but would sure be going
beyond 25 by the time they retires. Bumrah is another one but he has only played abroad till date. So that counts to only 3. On the other hand Sachin faced almost 20 <25 averaging bowlers thru out his career.That determines the quality of bowling Sachin faced. And that is a very important factor too

Last edited:

Gob

International Coach

Well he wasn't getting picked for his batting alone eventhough he has been making a lot of runs. Selectors at the time were still so high on Warne and towards the end of 09/10 shield season Smith picked a 7 fer for NSW and they picked him in the squad for a NZ tour before the neutral tests vs Pakistan

Anyway when SS returned, I thought he'd turn out to be a Doug Walters type player. Not the best stats but more of a crowd favourite but not to be the case

Slifer

International Captain
whether it be batting friendly or not , Sachin came against lots and lots of <25 averaging bowlers thru out his career. How many <25 averaging bowlers Smith faced in his career till date ? Only 3 comes to mind ... Steyn,Philander & Rabada. Ashwin& Jadeja has <25 but would sure be going
beyond 25 by the time they retires. Bumrah is another one but he has only played abroad till date. So that counts to only 3. On the other hand Sachin faced almost 20 <25 averaging bowlers thru out his career.That determines the quality of bowling Sachin faced. And that is a very important factor too
In how many series did Sachin average more than 50 where the team had at least two bowlers that averaged sub 25??

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
but the cherry picked number of runs is (13607-7540)/7540 = 81% more the number of runs of the first player.That is the important factor here. Again every body knows that Sachin unnecessarily carried a bit too far after the 2011 world cup win.Even at that stage he averaged 57 after scoring 14692 runs.
So you want to pick a peak period of his and run it against the other bloke's complete career, including when he started out batting eight or whatever? How is that a fair comparison?

I'm not saying it's wrong or ridiculous to put SRT > TPC. That's perfectly valid cos they're just great, great players and when they're that good you're splitting hairs to separate them imo. And if you want to use longevity as a factor, that's cool as well, but maybe just say it's an important factor in your reckoning, cos I don't think you need to select a shortened period of SRT's to make that point. It's like Lara vs Tendulkar, really hard to split them and how you weigh variables will count for a lot. But I think it's a bit unfair to pluck one fella's peak vs the other's full career to do it.

Then again, that's probably the difficulty with comparing someone who's retired with someone who's still playing.

TheJediBrah

bro just stop

Sachin was great but he doesn't have to come out on the top of everything

don't really get why this is an issue anyway. You're right that he didn't really play Test cricket as a spinner except maybe that game or 2 against Pakistan in 2010, where Marcus North bowled more overs than him anyway. It was ODI and T20I cricket where he played a few years regularly as a spinner. But it doesn't change that he had a couple bad years up until ~2013 that, if you wanted to, you could cut out and get this "6,000 runs @ 75" career.

Slifer

International Captain
bro just stop

don't really get why this is an issue anyway. You're right that he didn't really play Test cricket as a spinner except maybe that game or 2 against Pakistan in 2010, where Marcus North bowled more overs than him anyway. It was ODI and T20I cricket where he played a few years regularly as a spinner. But it doesn't change that he had a couple bad years up until ~2013 that, if you wanted to, you could cut out and get this "6,000 runs @ 75" career.
This. I agree with completely!!

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
bro just stop

What Bolo is saying is, Smith played just 5 or so tests and not selected for any other tests till he developed his batting and became a full grown ATG while Sachin started in his teens which affected his overall average.

Is there anyone in history who averaged >50 in their teens? I think not. 35-40 is the upper limit.

TheJediBrah

What Bolo is saying is, Smith played just 5 or so tests and not selected for any other tests till he developed his batting and became a full grown ATG while Sachin started in his teens which affected his overall average.

Is there anyone in history who averaged >50 in their teens? I think not. 35-40 is the upper limit.
Agree definitely an outlier in that regard. Hard to imagine many even being selected in their teens these days

(real teens, not Pakistan/Afghanistan "teens")

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Graeme Pollock 399 @ 57.00
Shiv Chanderpaul 288 @ 57.60
Neil Harvey 299 @ 74.75
Curious how old they were at that point? Sachin had a good England series when he was 17 and the Australia one when he was 19 I think which probably wouldn’t look too dissimilar, but he started at 16.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Graeme Pollock 399 @ 57.00 was 19
Shiv Chanderpaul 288 @ 57.60 was 19
Neil Harvey 299 @ 74.75 was 19

Victor Ian

International Coach
Perhaps starting as a teen helped Sachin. What makes the greats is their mind set. There was that other guy that was his peer that didn't cut it. Sachin got to master his game where he had to have no chinks that went unnoticed, setting him up for a very long career at the highest level. If he played until 25 before debut he'd have 9 years of bad habits (possibly) to fix up. More conjecture.
One may wonder how much greater Smith might be now if he had started earlier, early enough to have stayed a pure batsman, instead of being persuaded to try and become a bowler.
Sachin is great, awesome, and actually has a completed career being that. We don't need to bring other truely phenomenal efforts down with excuses and what ifs. We just need to watch and see how the remainder of Smith's career progresses and be truthful, that at this stage, he is like nothing we've seen.

rtramdas

U19 12th Man
In how many series did Sachin average more than 50 where the team had at least two bowlers that averaged sub 25??
the comparison at hand is between Smith & Sachin. When Smith has faced only 3 <25 averaging bowlers against Sachin's 20/21 what is there to even think about what you told?