• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 30 batsmen of the modern era (1990s -Current)

Chrish

International Debutant
I think there is a physical limitation on how good spinner can get across all conditions. Paceman have this ability to blast out batsmen if nothing else works by cranking up few hostile overs. Spinners don’t have this and are vastly dependent on pitch conditions. It’s unfair to expect spinner to have all round record like Malcom Marshall. It’s just not humanly possible IMO.

So, if spinner is averaging exceedingly high in/ against one team, but otherwise have good record against everyone else, they are top-tier. It’s as good as it’s going to get.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
it's most important for spinners to show up when they are expected to be the match winners.
Even this is debatable. Would you rate a batsman that performed most on roads because that's where they are expected to do well (eg. Warner)? Or would you rate one that performs above the rest when conditions are hard for batting (eg. Dravid)?

You could say the same re. spinners. A spinner that wins games in conditions that aren't spin-friendly is gold.

That would be a Warne/MacGill-type. If you want a spinner to clean up on a dustbowl go play Joe Root as a bowler.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Warner has always been one of the most valuable players in the world throughout his career because he always wins games at home, in fast and bouncy conditions and he's a world class opener which have been in very short supply during his career. People don't notice or admit how valuable he is because he violates the sensibilities of traditionalists and he's a dick.

Dravid is exceptionally valuable in Indian cricket history because of what you mention, but globally he probably wasn't as valuable in his era as Warner is in his though he does win huge points for being the best in the world on dog decks in his time. Openers have a bit of a cheat code here because it's harder to find 45+ averaging openers in general than it is to find equivalent 3-5 batsmen.

It isn't all that rare for crap teams (and I mean properly crap, not big 3 sides pretending the apocalypse is nigh because they're #4 in the world) often have a really good middle order batsman or two in their side, but I can't think of one with a really good opener. Opening is the worst job in cricket and arguably joint most important with new ball bowler and keeper who can catch.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I wonder who we can call the best ever minnow opener. Jayasuriya maybe? His move to opener helped Sri Lanka shed their minnow status