• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 30 batsmen of the modern era (1990s -Current)

Coronis

International Coach
I love how all those best series performances were away series as well. Love seeing Steve up this high, guilty of forgetting him at times myself when talking about the great Australian middle order bats (Chappell, Border, Ponting and now Smith)

Victor Ian

International Coach
The way Waugh performed away is one of the things that makes him so highly loved by me. I remember staying up all night at my friends watching him score his first century in England (while playing D&D) and when he made the hundred we woke his whole house up screaming, but his parents didn't get angry, they started screaming too. A great moment.

venkyrenga

U19 12th Man
The way Waugh performed away is one of the things that makes him so highly loved by me. I remember staying up all night at my friends watching him score his first century in England (while playing D&D) and when he made the hundred we woke his whole house up screaming, but his parents didn't get angry, they started screaming too. A great moment.
I have similar memories of watching Dravid play. Day 4 & 5 of the Kolkatta match was the most special of all my cricket watching experience even more than the WC 2011 win.

Last edited:

sunilz

International Regular
I have similar memories of watching Dravid play. Day 4 of the Kolkatta match was the most special day of all my cricket watching experience even more than the WC 2011 win.
I think last day of Gabba Test was equal to that.

sunilz

International Regular
I am not sure. Beating the best team I have ever seen from a follow on, breaking their streak, Laxman and Dravid spending an entire day at the crease just takes the cake. But then as a huge fan of Dravid maybe I am biased. Because the Gabba test has it's own glorious story.
36 all out
C side
Need to score 326 in 4th innings against a very good bowling attack
Aus having never lost a Test at Gabba in last 32 years

venkyrenga

U19 12th Man
36 all out
C side
For me it's more than just the that one match. I see it as a turning point in Indian cricket. Because till that point India was perceived as a mediocre team. The journey to being the runner up in WC 2003, beating Australia, England, West Indies and Pakistan in their soil. It all started there.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd put Waugh's '98-99 Ashes above his '01 ashes, if only because Australia needed him more. The whole middle order was firing on all cylinders in '01. Junior, Gilly, Martyn and Ponting all scored more runs than Steve, though he did miss a game

In 98-99 he topped the runs for the series on either side. And got man of the series too

venkyrenga

U19 12th Man
I'd put Waugh's '98-99 Ashes above his '01 ashes, if only because Australia needed him more. The whole middle order was firing on all cylinders in '01. Junior, Gilly, Martyn and Ponting all scored more runs than Steve, though he did miss a game

In 98-99 he topped the runs for the series on either side. And got man of the series too
Sure, but the ones I mentioned are not subjective. Those are the series that earned him most points in this exercise. Away runs obviously get more weightage especially if it's against the best attacks (England is not one though).

Chrish

International Debutant
Rightfully or not, attacking players will always be rated higher than defensive ones ie. Dravid, Waugh, Kallis etc.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Most valuable series performances:
vs England, 1993, Away, Runs- 416, Avg- 83.20
vs West Indies, 1995, Away, Runs- 429, Avg- 107.25
vs South Africa, 1997, Away, Runs- 313, Avg- 78.25
vs West Indies, 1999, Away, Runs- 409, Avg- 58.42
vs England, 2001, Away, Runs- 321, Avg- 107
Damn, that's impressive.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
It depends which contemporaries you're talking about. Philander and Rabada both have slightly better averages than Steyn, although Steyn had a longer career than either of them.
Smith career has not finished yet.. Its just 11-12 years now. When Steyn was in a similar phase, his wicket tally was 400+ at 22ish avg. No other active player at that time, managed sub 25 avg and 1/3 of his wickets.

subshakerz

International Coach
Not sure how people claim that Steve Waugh was a selfish batsman who wanted to bat easier at no.6 and save his average.

In the mid-90s there wasn't a more valuable wicket.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
36 all out
C side
Did we qualify already or was the WTC final qualification also hinging on this win? That is one more factor to consider.

Athlai

Not Terrible
No. 2

Adam Voges - 149.6

Span: 2015-2016
Peak: 2015

Overall points: 189
Overseas points: 137.6
Best bowling attack points: 131.5
Peak points: 179.8

Runs: 1485
Average: 61.87

Throughout the 10s,Voges proved emblematic for the rise of Australian cricket. In being rougher than a roll of sound paper and immediately and dramatically bottling it a year after debuting. There was a period where he had more runs than a SENA team touring India. Averaged 542 against the West Indies which is approximately 11 Devon Smiths on the bashing West Indian bowlers scale. Will be remembered for his casual wit and awkward elegance.