• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 30 batsmen of the modern era (1990s -Current)

Victor Ian

International Coach
One of the reasons I rate Waugh is because he started off being the player who could play shots like his brother, but put them all away to just score runs and be the rock Australia needed post Border.

Slifer

International Captain
All those of you throwing love at Steve Waugh are right on the money. In addition to his exploits vs peak West Indies and RSA, he also made runs vs Pakistan. Especially vs Pakistan and RSA that's something neither Lara nor Sachin could quite match. WAG!!

venkyrenga

U19 12th Man
No. 3

Steve Waugh - 147.2

02swaugh1989.jpg

Span: 1992-03
Peak: 1993-96

Overall points: 139
Overseas points: 157.6
Best bowling attack points: 141.5
Peak points: 177.8

Runs: 10927
Average: 51.06

Most valuable series performances:
vs England, 1993, Away, Runs- 416, Avg- 83.20
vs West Indies, 1995, Away, Runs- 429, Avg- 107.25
vs South Africa, 1997, Away, Runs- 313, Avg- 78.25
vs West Indies, 1999, Away, Runs- 409, Avg- 58.42
vs England, 2001, Away, Runs- 321, Avg- 107

#Most valuable series are the ones that had the most impact on the total points earned.

Throughout the 90s, Waugh has scored more points than Lara consistently. I don't know if it is the Flair of Lara or the ease with which Sachin scored runs, Waugh is never seen as their equal despite having scored massive number of runs everywhere and against the best. His best bowling attack points was dragged down significantly because of the poor performance in 2001-02 series against SA otherwise it would have been a whooping 175.

Gob

International Coach
No. 3

Steve Waugh - 147.2

View attachment 28445

Span: 1992-03
Peak: 1993-96

Overall points: 139
Overseas points: 157.6
Best bowling attack points: 141.5
Peak points: 177.8

Runs: 10927
Average: 51.06

Most valuable series performances:
vs England, 1993, Away, Runs- 416, Avg- 83.20
vs West Indies, 1995, Away, Runs- 429, Avg- 107.25
vs South Africa, 1997, Away, Runs- 313, Avg- 78.25
vs West Indies, 1999, Away, Runs- 409, Avg- 58.42
vs England, 2001, Away, Runs- 321, Avg- 107

#Most valuable series are the ones that had the most impact on the total points earned.

Throughout the 90s, Waugh has scored more points than Lara consistently. I don't know if it is the Flair of Lara or the ease with which Sachin scored runs, Waugh is never seen as their equal despite having scored massive number of runs everywhere and against the best. His best bowling attack points was dragged down significantly because of the poor performance in 2001-02 series against SA otherwise it would have been a whooping 175.
Funny thing is that must have been the worst SA attack that he faced

venkyrenga

U19 12th Man
When the countdown is complete do the list without the Not Outs and show what difference they made.
ooh! That's a lot of work pal. We are talking modifying nearly 150 sheets and then consolidating them, probably not feasible. If you want the points for a particular player or any breakdown, I can give.
But having worked on them for quite sometime, I can tell you what difference it would make. If you use just the batting avg, Waugh would remain at the same spot as there is a massing gap between him and no. 2. Chanderpaul will move ahead of Kohli and may be even Sanga. Laxman and Gilchrist would move a few spots higher. That's about it.

Gob

International Coach
ooh! That's a lot of work pal. We are talking modifying nearly 150 sheets and then consolidating them, probably not feasible. If you want the points for a particular player or any breakdown, I can give.
But having worked on them for quite sometime, I can tell you what difference it would make. If you use just the batting avg, Waugh would remain at the same spot as there is a massing gap between him and no. 2. Chanderpaul will move ahead of Kohli and may be even Sanga. Laxman and Gilchrist would move a few spots higher. That's about it.
Do it

Victor Ian

International Coach
Wow - you are another one like DOG. I can't fathom doing one of these things on a spreadsheet, unless I was going to code it all up, in which case there is no need for the sheet. More respect to you then.