• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 30 batsmen of the modern era (1990s -Current)

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Only very recently. Bit of a Covid thing too wasn't it
You could argue the England one

De Kock (and co) ****ing off from South Africa Pakistan in full swing had nothing to do with Covid-19.

Yes, recently, but can’t wait for it to be retroactively judged too for some test in the mid 90s as a JAMTEST

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You could argue the England one

De Kock (and co) ****ing off from South Africa Pakistan in full swing had nothing to do with Covid-19.

Yes, recently, but can’t wait for it to be retroactively judged too for some test in the mid 90s as a JAMTEST
No you're right about the retroactive thing. The ODI tri series in Aus was a big deal at the time, definitely not JAMODIs.
Not sure about all those Sharjah ones I never really knew much about them.

Burgey

You're prepared to put Smith ahead of Ponting already before his career is even done? I'm not, especially considering Ponting also averaged nigh-on 60 around the same age is Smith is now, and that was after many more innings.

I might well have Smith ahead when all is said and done, but the jury isn't out yet.
Smith has scored more runs in a wider variety of conditions in a more bowler-friendly era than Ponting. He's the best batsman I've ever seen, as ugly to watch as he often is.

TheJediBrah

Smith has scored more runs in a wider variety of conditions in a more bowler-friendly era than Ponting. He's the best batsman I've ever seen, as ugly to watch as he often is.
Even without his late career dip Ponting is still not quite Smith's level. Smith has had better bowling and more difficult conditions, and his away record is phenomenal

Daemon

Smith has nothing but longevity going against him.

Runs against everyone
Runs everywhere
Runs in tough conditions
Bowler friendly era
Multiple big series
Far ahead of the next best peer

Couple of tests more in each country and I'm pretty sure he'll end up like some sort of fusion between Tendulkar in terms consistency and having no holes in his record, and Lara in terms of ridiculous knocks and big series.

Shame he's a cheat though.

sunilz

International Regular
Is this the first mathematical rating system which has rated Steve Waugh so high ?

He deserves it imo for his exploits against WI and SA b/w 95 to 99 imo.
1995 Test series
1998 Test series
1999 WC performance vs SA

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Smith has nothing but longevity going against him.

Runs against everyone
Runs everywhere
Runs in tough conditions
Bowler friendly era
Multiple big series
Far ahead of the next best peer

Couple of tests more in each country and I'm pretty sure he'll end up like some sort of fusion between Tendulkar in terms consistency and having no holes in his record, and Lara in terms of ridiculous knocks and big series.

Shame he's a cheat though.
Batting equivalent of Steyn

Slifer

International Captain
Nah, 19-20
Agreed. Imo a batting average of 60 is roughly equivalent to averaging 19-20 with the ball. Closest i could think of bowling wise is Marshall. However, Marshall went at sub 23 vs everyone (more or less 50+ in batting) . Smith doesn't quite match that consistency.

TheJediBrah

Is this the first mathematical rating system which has rated Steve Waugh so high ?

He deserves it imo for his exploits against WI and SA b/w 95 to 99 imo.
1995 Test series
1998 Test series
1999 WC performance vs SA
Waugh gets overlooked a lot. Everyone talks about Sachin, Lara, Ponting but he was pretty close to that level.