• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 30 batsmen of the modern era (1990s -Current)

venkyrenga

U19 12th Man
Kohli's debut was in 2011, @venkyrenga
Yes, it was. But I am not considering the first two years as all the retired players had the luxury of not having to include the first 1 or 2 years (which usually is very average). I have done the same for all current players like Kane, Kohli, etc.

Last edited:

venkyrenga

U19 12th Man
Doesn’t that penalise anyone who got off to a flyer?
I will exclude the initial years only if it reduces their net points otherwise no. It is not a rule that the first 2 years have to excluded either for current players or retired. I am just giving the current players the same benefits the retired players had, so they are on a level playing field. In case of Kohli and Kane including the initial 2 years helps them slightly with the longevity penalty but brings down the total points.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
In DoG's batsmen ranking, Kohli came up one spot above Dravid. Kohli has been quite average since so quite justified that this ranking puts him below Dravid

Victor Ian

International Coach
I'm curious where Smith ends up. He might also get the 2 year benefit, but then that means he only has 9 years because of being dropped for a year after 2011.
If possible, at the end, I'd love to see Bradman, for comparison, if that is possible.

venkyrenga

U19 12th Man
I am sure some people expected Sanga to rank a little higher. So here is why he hasn't. Once you exclude his runs made against Zim and Ban his average comes down to 52.6 and 47.8 overseas. He averaged 94 against Zim and Ban. And his overseas record in 2003-06 and 2011-14 were a bit disappointing.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Nah Sanga is probably about 9th. If he spent his whole career as a batsman maybe he'd be higher, but in reality he didn't.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes, it was. But I am not considering the first two years as all the retired players had the luxury of not having to include the first 1 or 2 years (which usually is very average). I have done the same for all current players like Kane, Kohli, etc.
wow you really ****ed with this thing more than I thought

That should definitely help Smith. My prediction is it will be a fight between Smith ("longevity penalty") and Sachin
I am sure some people expected Sanga to rank a little higher. So here is why he hasn't. Once you exclude his runs made against Zim and Ban his average comes down to 52.6 and 47.8 overseas. He averaged 94 against Zim and Ban. And his overseas record in 2003-06 and 2011-14 were a bit disappointing.
Probably not going to go down well, but this is why I take Sri Lankan player stats with a grain of salt in general. It's no fault of their own but they have played a huge proportion against bad teams, which inevitably is going to skew numbers.

Gob

International Coach
I initially thought this is the an all times list and like hmkay and then I was like wait this was from 95 onwards and all of a sudden I was like hmkay