• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 30 batsmen of the modern era (1990s -Current)

Coronis

International Coach
Cant speak for others, but yeah I would rate him just as high if not marginally higher. Particularly when you consider his post 1948 runs would be in his mid/late 40s which no other cricketer has done (apart from rhodes I guess). What you're describing is pretty much WG grace's FC career. An insane bradman-esque run of a decade and a half, but played far longer in his 40s and 50s, so his overall average is 37. Within that is a decade long period where he averaged twice what everyone else did. You'd never find me saying grace is overrated because he only averaged 37.

So yeah, I think punishing players for playing longer is insane. Overall average can hide one's actual production in case the career is abnormally long.
And yet we have multiple posters on this forum who do exactly that with Grace. Again this was never intended originally as a serious post or argument, but I guarantee if Bradman had continued for 10 more years and finished with an average of 60 you wouldn’t have almost universal agreement on his status as the undisputed greatest player to ever pick up a bat, he would not be considered one of the greatest sportsman to live, he would not be a lock in all time XI’s and he would not be automatically banned from almost every draft.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And yet we have multiple posters on this forum who do exactly that with Grace. Again this was never intended originally as a serious post or argument, but I guarantee if Bradman had continued for 10 more years and finished with an average of 60 you wouldn’t have almost universal agreement on his status as the undisputed greatest player to ever pick up a bat, he would not be considered one of the greatest sportsman to live, he would not be a lock in all time XI’s and he would not be automatically banned from almost every draft.
I completely agree that's what lots of people would say. And it'd be incredibly stupid.

venkyrenga

U19 12th Man
So hypothetically speaking, if Bradman continued another 10 years and finished with an average of 60. Now people who dispute his status as the undisputed greatest are basically saying he would have been the greatest if he retired early. Does that make any sense? How does retiring early make one a better batsman? Even if some people dispute it they would all be simply wrong.

Coronis

International Coach
Oh I’m not saying its the right thing at all. Its just what would happen if that hypothetical scenario occurred. Anyway, lets get back to this countdown surely. Everyone loves a good countdown.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Good work on this thread Venky. I don't have to agree with all the rankings to appreciate a new take on things. Longevity is nice, but I have always thought there is a cutoff (not sure where it is, though) from where you can ignore a downturn in output. Statistically, that is the fault of their team not being up to scratch, rather than them tarnishing their greatness. It is a hard one to assess. Someone trying to break into a great team will miss the early years of their career and the end part, just because their position is so hard to maintain. Someone in a mediocre team can get lots of credit for longevity, that another equally good player in a great team could not.

srbhkshk

International Captain
As I recall, guys like dravid, ponting , Kallis were averaging closer to 60 than 50 in those times, so their records will look more like a Smith than a Williamson.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Ponting, Waugh, Smith
Tendulkar, Kohli, Dravid
Sangakkara
Younis, Inzamam
Kallis, AB, Amla
KP

Lara

-----
Kohli must be next