• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 30 batsmen of the modern era (1990s -Current)

Teja.

Global Moderator
Jayawardene averaged 34 outside Asia and 56 in Asia.

Younis averaged 42 outside Asia and 58 in Asia.

Dravid averaged 54 outside Asia and 51 in Asia.

Like I said, Dravid was an absurdly consistent player across conditions.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You also had Gillespie and McGill tbf, at least in Adelaide, when Dravid made the big ton. Hardly the first attack but quite good.
Yeah it was decent but Flem is right that when you say "made all these runs away against peak Australia" there's the assumption that it was against an ATG attack.
Laxman's 167 in 1999/00 was the most special India in Aus knock in the last 25 years. That was a very good attack and a very very special innings.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Yeah it was decent but Flem is right that when you say "made all these runs away against peak Australia" there's the assumption that it was against an ATG attack.
Laxman's 167 in 1999/00 was the most special India in Aus knock in the last 25 years. That was a very good attack and a very very special innings.
I didn’t say he made those runs against peak Australia tbh.

Yeah, that 167 is one of the greatest ever. Verging on top 10 territory.

OverratedSanity

vvs 167 was a meaningless hit and giggle session. Dravid at adelaide (along with vvs tbf) rescued India from 80/4 trailing by 500 and took them to a win. By Australian standards that attack wasnt special (although hardly as bad as is made out) but the match situation makes it one of the greatest performances ever down under.

OverratedSanity

Younis was better than Dravid, and both Younis and Williamson are more adaptable to differing situations than Dravid. I love Dravid but some of the free passes he gets for things Kallis is eviscerated for because he didn't have a Tendulkar or Sehwag in his side are starting to add up.
Williamson averaging 32 in england, 35 in India,21 in Sa, 26 in SL and being "more adaptable" is a disgusting claim. If you want to talk about free passes we should talk about how HTB-esque's KW's record is and how he never get scrutinized for it. He'll probably correct this in future tours, but no way do we have any real evidence so far that hes more adaptable than dravid or younis.

TheJediBrah

Williamson averaging 32 in england, 35 in India,21 in Sa, 26 in SL and being "more adaptable" is a disgusting claim. If you want to talk about free passes we should talk about how HTB-esque's KW's record is and how he never get scrutinized for it. He'll probably correct this in future tours, but no way do we have any real evidence so far that hes more adaptable than dravid or younis.
This is a KW red pill if I ever saw one. Most overrated batsman on CW?

Flem274*

123/5
Adaptable to game situation, not conditions. I should have been more specific.

Williamsons away record gets brought up all the time. Its literally the go to of every Indian and Australian fan on social media, and lately Pakistanis.

Theres one member of the fab 4 whose does not, and thats because commentators desperately simp for IPL gigs.

Williamsons away failured record post becoming test standard in 2013 have a lot of samplesizelol to it, with some exceptions. He has been instrumental to every away success or face save we have. He does need to improve, but lets not pretend it never gets brought up. An overall away average of 41 is also quite respectable.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Kane has a way to go before ending up ahead of Dravid and Younis. He can be argued to be better in terms of technique and watchability, but that's nowhere near the same thing as actual accomplishments across several years in several countries.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
The most important thing is that Kane wins games. His average in test wins (ignoring Adam Voges) is the 3rd highest behind Bradman and only slightly behind Smith. Interestingly Inzi is next.

TheJediBrah

Williamsons away record gets brought up all the time. Its literally the go to of every Indian and Australian fan on social media, and lately Pakistanis.

Theres one member of the fab 4 whose does not, and thats because commentators desperately simp for IPL gigs.

Williamsons away failured record post becoming test standard in 2013 have a lot of samplesizelol to it, with some exceptions. He has been instrumental to every away success or face save we have. He does need to improve, but lets not pretend it never gets brought up. An overall away average of 41 is also quite respectable.
This is the first I've heard it tbh. Having a look at it it's actually pretty bad. Sure average of 41 overall but that's owing a fair chunk to Bangladesh and Zimbabwe each who he's managed to average 80-90 odd against

Shady Slim

International Coach

this is a really great point and we forget sometimes that averages are made up of lots of individual scores

which is to say, essentially, a guy could average 50 away but not have made many contributions to meaningful wins whereas another guy could average 41 and have some big boi tons in the bank with the pressure on that won his team games

also credit to those bigging up younis khan who i feel is correctly rated here but doesn't get his dues amongst the mainstream tbh

good thread this in re the points being advanced, hasn't meandered along in to parochialism yet so i'm enjoying this

anil1405

International Captain
Isn't Dravid's rep in Aus based on the series where they wheeled out reserve bowlers? Williamson in 2015/16 faced a much better attack imo, and tonned up in 2 of 3 games.
Makes me wonder... using this same logic Pat Cummins shouldn't come anywhere near ATG bowlers discussion in future for failing to dismiss the likes of Vihari, Jadeja, Pant, Ashwin, Thakur and Sundar early and before they wrecked havoc on Australia. He couldn't even keep a mediocre batting unit under check.

sunilz

International Regular
Massive lol@ some Kiwi fans arguing that Kane is better than Dravid.
His overseas record is comparable to Pujara/ Rahane. If Kane had been an Indian /Aussie player, we would be discussing about him being dropped. He doesn't belong to Fab 4 discussion. He should be compared to Pujara/Rahane as of now.

anil1405

International Captain
this is a really great point and we forget sometimes that averages are made up of lots of individual scores

which is to say, essentially, a guy could average 50 away but not have made many contributions to meaningful wins whereas another guy could average 41 and have some big boi tons in the bank with the pressure on that won his team games

also credit to those bigging up younis khan who i feel is correctly rated here but doesn't get his dues amongst the mainstream tbh

good thread this in re the points being advanced, hasn't meandered along in to parochialism yet so i'm enjoying this
Another point that goes in favour of Dravid then for having contributed to Indian wins overseas a lot.

50+ average overseas plus contributions to a good number of Indian wins. Doubles his value.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
vvs 167 was a meaningless hit and giggle session. Dravid at adelaide (along with vvs tbf) rescued India from 80/4 trailing by 500 and took them to a win. By Australian standards that attack wasnt special (although hardly as bad as is made out) but the match situation makes it one of the greatest performances ever down under.
Some time back there was a countdown on best visitor knocks down under, and Dravid's Adelaide knock was close to the top. I think it was on SMH.

sunilz

International Regular

So now you can be ATG with away average of 41 ?