• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 30 batsmen of the modern era (1990s -Current)

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Overseas points and Best bowling attack points. Seem to be the big difference between Root and Williamson... would like to see the numbers for those categories and who was determined to be best bowling wise at that stage?

venkyrenga

U19 12th Man
Overseas points and Best bowling attack points. Seem to be the big difference between Root and Williamson... would like to see the numbers for those categories and who was determined to be best bowling wise at that stage?
2013-16
PlayerOverallAwayBBA (vs SA & AUS)
JE Root (ENG)
136.6741​
128.411​
128.7696​
KS Williamson (NZ)
132.6527​
131.783​
126.0784​

2017-21
PlayerOverallAwayBBA (vs IND & AUS)
JE Root (ENG)
133.9338​
156.3013​
136.1466​
KS Williamson (NZ)
156.679​
110.3951​
78.31528​

Kirkut

International Regular
I'm most fascinated by the Best Bowling Attack points.

Clarke, Gilly and Pujara score pretty high here.

Clarke at his prime played gun knocks against arguably the greatest ever South African bowling attack, that 151 at Cape Town.

Gilly made that iconic 149 at Hobart against arguably the greatest Pakistani bowling attack, also his 122 at Mumbai against Harbhajan at his prime but Matty Hayden overshadowed him that series. He smashed Allan Donald to every part of the ground in 2002, but Donald was way past his prime.

Pujara has not played any iconic innings yet, but his perseverance against Cummins/Hazlewood/Starc gave him that score.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Williamson is way too low. Should be about 8th or 9th imo. You can't seriously say that Joe Root, Hashim Amla, De Villiers Hussey, Kohli, Chanderpaul, KP, Inzi, Dravid, and Younis Khan are/were all better than him.

I'd go S Smith, Lara, Tendulkar, Sanga, Ponting, Kallis and Steve Waugh to have Williamson 8th.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Surprised Kanes away record since 2017 hurt him considering how few Tests he's played. He also scored those runs in the bloody WTC final in some of the most challenging conditions imaginable. Pretty sure he did well in the UAE tour too.

Gob

International Coach
Williamson is way too low. Should be about 8th or 9th imo. You can't seriously say that Joe Root, Hashim Amla, De Villiers, Kohli, Chanderpaul, KP, Inzi, Dravid, and Younis Khan are/were all better than him.

I'd go S Smith, Lara, Tendulkar, Sanga, Ponting, Kallis and Steve Waugh to have Williamson 8th.
Dravid and Younis are certainly better imo

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Williamson averages 57.21 at no 3, while Dravid only averaged 52.88.

Williamson has 22 100s from 129 innings at no 3. Dravid got 28 100s in 219 innings at 3.

Teja.

Global Moderator
I'd say Dravid put up a Kane level of performance for a lot longer than Kane - 17 years. Dravid also has gigantic series performances in England and Australia. I think Dravid has had a greater career at this point by a fair bit.

Kane is still fairly young though and he can overtake Dravid by the end if he keeps up his current standard at home and has some dominant away performances from here. Be interesting to see how if he makes a huge mark in India and England in the next 18 months or so.

Flem274*

123/5
Isn't Dravid's rep in Aus based on the series where they wheeled out reserve bowlers? Williamson in 2015/16 faced a much better attack imo, and tonned up in 2 of 3 games.

Dravid's final England tour was incredible, and he showed his worth down here too in 2002.

Younis was better than Dravid, and both Younis and Williamson are more adaptable to differing situations than Dravid. I love Dravid but some of the free passes he gets for things Kallis is eviscerated for because he didn't have a Tendulkar or Sehwag in his side are starting to add up.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Isn't Dravid's rep in Aus based on the series where they wheeled out reserve bowlers? Williamson in 2015/16 faced a much better attack imo, and tonned up in 2 of 3 games.

Dravid's final England tour was incredible, and he showed his worth down here too in 2002.

Younis was better than Dravid, and both Younis and Williamson are more adaptable to differing situations than Dravid. I love Dravid but some of the free passes he gets for things Kallis is eviscerated for because he didn't have a Tendulkar or Sehwag in his side are starting to add up.
I really don't get how you can criticise someone like Dravid for not being able to adapt to conditions in comparison to Williamson when Dravid averages 50+ at home, away, in asia and in SENA. This is extremely rare even among ATGs. Just absurdly consistent across the board. He was one of the best ever in terms of adapting to different conditions. I'd say KW's overall record away from home looks a lot less consistent than Dravid.

In subjective terms, Dravid's handling of extremely dodgy pitches in WI in the 90s as well as overcast swinging condiitons is second to none.

There's other criticisms you can make of Dravid but I think that one is odd.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes, the Aus attack in 2003/04 was very ordinary. Brad Williams, Andy Bichel, Nathan Bracken were ok but hardly ATVG Test bowlers.

However citing Kane in 2015/16 isn't convincing either given they were possibly the flattest Test pitches in the history of the game

Teja.

Global Moderator
Yes, the Aus attack in 2003/04 was very ordinary. Brad Williams, Andy Bichel, Nathan Bracken were ok but hardly ATVG Test bowlers.

However citing Kane in 2015/16 isn't convincing either given they were possibly the flattest Test pitches in the history of the game
You also had Gillespie and McGill tbf, at least in Adelaide, when Dravid made the big ton. Hardly the first attack but quite good.