• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is your ALL TIME WORLD XI TEAM for tests?

ataraxia

International Coach
Filling your team with sheet anchors won't ensure a draw, they would all get dismissed by the ATG bowlers, sheet anchors are mostly inferior to the fluid batsmen, thats why they are asked to hold one end of the inning while the better batsman attack,.

You think Lara/Tendulkar/Sobers/Bradman couldn't construct a Barrington/Dravid/Chanderpaul like inning ? They can defend better if they focus on just that, however they look to score freely, but these sheet anchors you have are all not guys who can score freely, they would actually be dismissed by Lillee/Marshall/McGrath type guys ....lol
"sheet anchors" have high averages for a reason - they just keep batting. The likes of Lara/Sobers couldn't be defensive to the same extent because that isn't their game.

The defensive types have often shown how they can thrive under pressure against the best bowlers. While they won't be quite as good, neither will Lara/Sobers against economical legends. Lara/Sobers/Viv would often end up playing bad shots against good balls.

And 'thats why they are asked to hold one end of the inning while the better batsman attack' just doesn't bear out in reality. Hobbs, Hammond, Kallis, Flower, (these guys aren't as defensive, but merely legends) Chanderpaul, and arguably Barrington were the premier batsmen in their team.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Hobbs played like 1000 years back, he is more ancient than dinosaurs.

Hutton also played too long ago, cricket has evolved a lot since then, bowlers bowl in 150 kmph range now and asian teams have spinners of quality that these guys never played against, neither did they play on the subcontinent tracks

Thats why GAVASKAR is the guy who is a must in any all time 11 team, Hobbs is quite outdated
Current bowlers don't have a mortgage on 150kph bowling. It is accepted that Larwood and Tyson were in that range.

The modern day batsmen have the luxury of covered wickets and advancements in bat construction.

KINGOFKINGS

Cricket Spectator
"sheet anchors" have high averages for a reason - they just keep batting. The likes of Lara/Sobers couldn't be defensive to the same extent because that isn't their game.

The defensive types have often shown how they can thrive under pressure against the best bowlers. While they won't be quite as good, neither will Lara/Sobers against economical legends. Lara/Sobers/Viv would often end up playing bad shots against good balls.

And 'thats why they are asked to hold one end of the inning while the better batsman attack' just doesn't bear out in reality. Hobbs, Hammond, Kallis, Flower, (these guys aren't as defensive, but merely legends) Chanderpaul, and arguably Barrington were the premier batsmen in their team.
Lol premier batsmen ?
Chandercrawl was always second grade compared to Lara.
Kallis was a boring speciman, I think ABDV was rated ahead of him for many years, lol
Flower? yes, but then his team was crap.
Hobbs and Hammons are dinosaurs....they never have faced bowlers as fast as the current guys... lol

Lara, Sobers won't have to defend since they can attack good balls that inferior sheet anchors have to defend....

KINGOFKINGS

Cricket Spectator
Current bowlers don't have a mortgage on 150kph bowling. It is accepted that Larwood and Tyson were in that range.

The modern day batsmen have the luxury of covered wickets and advancements in bat construction.
But Hobbs never faced Larwood/Tyson type guys, he is too ancient and from a time when pacers were like medium pacers now or maybe of spinner level .... like anil kumble .... haha

ataraxia

International Coach
Lol premier batsmen ?
Chandercrawl was always second grade compared to Lara.
Kallis was a boring speciman, I think ABDV was rated ahead of him for many years, lol
Flower? yes, but then his team was crap.
Hobbs and Hammons are dinosaurs....they never have faced bowlers as fast as the current guys... lol

Lara, Sobers won't have to defend since they can attack good balls that inferior sheet anchors have to defend....
boring doesn't mean not good.

for 10 years Chanderpaul spearheaded WI's batting.

zim was actually ok but wouldn't have been if not for Flower - which kinda proves my point.

wow anything pre-1950 is archaic. what taste. O'Reilly, Barnes, were what 110-120kph and were often classed as spinners. Not even Jaddu is that good.

Lara and Sobers were fab. But hitting Hadlee/Imran/Grum/Goddard? Pretty tough.

ataraxia

International Coach
Besides, in AT XIs sides are adjusted for era. That is widely accepted on CW and attempts to remove this vital caveat are unlikely to be fruitful.

Gob

International Coach
Isn't there a specific thread for this. Anyways I was thinking about this recently and here's mine. Don't consider currently active players (no Steve Smith basically)

Sunil Gavaskar
Jack Hobbs
Donald Bradman (c)
Sachin Tendulkar
Vivian Richards
Garfield Sobers
Adam Gilchrist (wk)
Imran Khan
Shane Warne
Malcom Marshall
Glenn McGrath

What intrigues me though having Warne, Gavaskar, Imran and Bradman in the same dressing room. Bradman is known for rubbing blokes in the wrong way and those other guys I've mentioned have very strong personalities (good and bad from what I read) aswell so team politics would be ITSTL.

Nog saying others don't have amazing personalities but I assume likes of Viv, Marshall, McGrath and Gilly would probably mind their own work without trying to influence the leadership group

Sachin would try to please both parties and turn the blind eye (or ear) to negativity from each party regards to other

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hobbs
Hutton
Bradman*
Tendulkar
Lara

Sobers
Gilchrist+
Marshall
Wasim
Warne
McGrath

Italicized players are the only ones is really consider other options for, but each of these is currently in because they bring a specialty you the side. Tendulkar against spin, Lara as a lefty and Wasim with the old ball and as left arm variety.

KINGOFKINGS

Cricket Spectator
Isn't there a specific thread for this. Anyways I was thinking about this recently and here's mine. Don't consider currently active players (no Steve Smith basically)

Sunil Gavaskar
Jack Hobbs
Donald Bradman (c)
Sachin Tendulkar
Vivian Richards
Garfield Sobers
Adam Gilchrist (wk)
Imran Khan
Shane Warne
Malcom Marshall
Glenn McGrath

What intrigues me though having Warne, Gavaskar, Imran and Bradman in the same dressing room. Bradman is known for rubbing blokes in the wrong way and those other guys I've mentioned have very strong personalities (good and bad from what I read) aswell so team politics would be ITSTL.

Nog saying others don't have amazing personalities but I assume likes of Viv, Marshall, McGrath and Gilly would probably mind their own work without trying to influence the leadership group

Sachin would try to please both parties and turn the blind eye (or ear) to negativity from each party regards to other
Thats a nice side.
Perhaps Akram in place of Imran would give a leftie flavor?

KINGOFKINGS

Cricket Spectator
Why is Dennis Lillee not a part of most teams here?
Globally everyone considers him the demon of pace and the golden standard of bowling but here teams omit him, why ?
Is it because of his record outside Aus-Eng?

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Why is Dennis Lillee not a part of most teams here?
Globally everyone considers him the demon of pace and the golden standard of bowling but here teams omit him, why ?
Is it because of his record outside Aus-Eng?
Good question. I always considered him one of the greatest bowlers I had seen in action.

Gob

International Coach
I have Lillee very highly too but there are few others ahead of him

His record in the sub continent is very sample sized to hold that against him personally but fair few do that too

WICFan

State 12th Man
Based on players that have played and retired during my lifetime who I remember watching on the TV.

Test XI:-
G. Smith
A. Cook
R. Ponting
S. Tendulkar
B. Lara
J. Kallis
A. Gilchrist
S. Warne
C. Vaas
C. Ambrose
G. McGrath

Coronis

International Coach
How do you say it wouldn't beat ?

Bradman, Lara, Sachin and Sobers are automatically the 4 best test batsmen of all time, add Richards and Gilchrist into the mix and you have 6 guys who can take on any bowling attack.

Marshall-Lillee-McGrath will bowl out the Englishmen, check their records in england

My team will beat your team in england itself :D
Ah yes, the old my opinion = right so there argument.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Based on players that have played and retired during my lifetime who I remember watching on the TV.

Test XI:-
G. Smith
A. Cook
R. Ponting
S. Tendulkar
B. Lara
J. Kallis
A. Gilchrist
S. Warne
C. Vaas
C. Ambrose
G. McGrath
Vaas? Seriously? At the very least Cummins and Donald are eons ahead of him.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
In terms of left armers I'd put Wasim (by miles), Wagner, and Johnson ahead of Vaas, with Starc and Boult on about par, and Zaheer behind.