• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is your ALL TIME WORLD XI TEAM for tests?

ataraxia

International Coach
Hobbs, Sutcliffe, Headley, Kallis, Hammond, Barrington, and Flower aren't always the best batsmen available but they definitely know how to grind the opposition down.

And the likes of Hadlee, Imran, Grimmett, and Ambrose are all very strong at wicket-taking and are economical.

I could even replace Ambrose with Trevor Goddard and there would be little difference.

KINGOFKINGS

Cricket Spectator
In 5 matches?

Sunil Gavaskar averaged 38 vs Eng in 38 matches.
That wouldn't matter

Richards, Bradman, Lara, Sachin and Sobers are enough to put at least 500+ on the board, lol

But in your team with Hadley (37) and Kallis (41) vs Aus would be a problem, too much pressure of Sir Wally Hammond, that too in a team which would face 3 aussie bowlers mc-warnie + lillee ..... nightmare for your team

It would end in defeat !!!

KINGOFKINGS

Cricket Spectator
Any ATG team without Hobbs or Hutton (or both) opening isn't an ATG team IMO.
Hobbs played like 1000 years back, he is more ancient than dinosaurs.

Hutton also played too long ago, cricket has evolved a lot since then, bowlers bowl in 150 kmph range now and asian teams have spinners of quality that these guys never played against, neither did they play on the subcontinent tracks

Thats why GAVASKAR is the guy who is a must in any all time 11 team, Hobbs is quite outdated

ataraxia

International Coach
I doubt that your batters would average 100 each against ATG bowling. Bradman wasn't at his best vs Grimmett, he might average what 65-70 or so against my bowlers. They wouldn't put on 500 with frequency.

Headley didn't play against any of Lillee, McGrath, or Warne. Kallis played against the incredible Aus 00s team and averaged 90 balls per innings, which is hardly bad.

Cricket has evolved a lot over the years. The likes of Gavaskar would struggle to keep up in the modern game IMO. A real all-time test team adjusts for eras. An actual thing would likely end up with Steve Smith considered the best batsman.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Hobbs, Gavaskar, Bradman, Sangakkara, Richards, Gilchrist, Imran, Hadlee, Warne, Marshall/Murali (depending on what kind of pitch it is), McGrath

KINGOFKINGS

Cricket Spectator
I doubt that your batters would average 100 each against ATG bowling. Bradman wasn't at his best vs Grimmett, he might average what 65-70 or so against my bowlers. They wouldn't put on 500 with frequency.

Headley didn't play against any of Lillee, McGrath, or Warne. Kallis played against the incredible Aus 00s team and averaged 90 balls per innings, which is hardly bad.

Cricket has evolved a lot over the years. The likes of Gavaskar would struggle to keep up in the modern game IMO. A real all-time test team adjusts for eras. An actual thing would likely end up with Steve Smith considered the best batsman.
Richards, Bradman, Sachin, Lara and Sobers are widely regarded as the 5 best batsmen.

If not them then why ? Your batsmen would do worse

Adam Gilchrist is the great number 7 ever, so many matches he has bailed out his teammates from 92/5 or 102/6 type situations, the guy is a demon for the bowlers, he used to throw his wicket away when there was 400 runs on board and it needed quick swing of the bat from him, when in trouble he used to hit tons .... a big match player

If these guys made 400 runs then your team would make like 220 odd runs..... vs an ATG attack these less skileld batsmen would all collapse, except Hamond the entire middle-lower order is brittle for you.

ataraxia

International Coach
except Hamond the entire middle-lower order is brittle for you.
lol what.

Your lower order is very brittle. You can't rely on Gilchrist to do his magic every time, and then you're into the tail. In fact, it's very likely that Gilchrist just cannot hit my economical bowlers.

The thing is, most games between the two teams would be drawn considering my unit of defensive players. You still haven't said why that isn't the case.

KINGOFKINGS

Cricket Spectator
lol what.

Your lower order is very brittle. You can't rely on Gilchrist to do his magic every time, and then you're into the tail. In fact, it's very likely that Gilchrist just cannot hit my economical bowlers.

The thing is, most games between the two teams would be drawn considering my unit of defensive players. You still haven't said why that isn't the case.
Nd what about Garfield Sobers at 6 ? You think any bowler will go past him ?

He is the second greatest batsman after Bradman

ataraxia

International Coach
Hobbs
Sutcliffe
Headley
Hammond
Kallis
Barrington
Flower +
Goddard
Imran*
Hadlee
Grimmett

Pretty solid stuff.

KINGOFKINGS

Cricket Spectator
yeah, I do.

His time at the crease isn't immortal. And even he doesn't get out easily then it's likely your tail will collapse around him.
Gavaskar (used to open for India and score double hundreds) - Good luck going past him

Richards-Bradman-Lara-Sachin and Sobers ..... You will have at least 3 of these guys hitting 100s every match.

Gilchrist added then more runs ....

Thats a solid 400-500 runs every innings.

KINGOFKINGS

Cricket Spectator
lol wtf

Every innings?
Of course, they are the best 5 batsmen ever.

If they can't then your batsmen would do worse.

Filling your team with sheet anchors won't ensure a draw, they would all get dismissed by the ATG bowlers, sheet anchors are mostly inferior to the fluid batsmen, thats why they are asked to hold one end of the inning while the better batsman attack,.

You think Lara/Tendulkar/Sobers/Bradman couldn't construct a Barrington/Dravid/Chanderpaul like inning ? They can defend better if they focus on just that, however they look to score freely, but these sheet anchors you have are all not guys who can score freely, they would actually be dismissed by Lillee/Marshall/McGrath type guys ....lol

ataraxia

International Coach
Why Goddard at 8? He was an opener who wouldn't make a Saffa ATG team ahead of Shaun Pollock or Procter at 8. Otherwise very good team.
Because he was solid batsman and an excellent economical bowler. This team isn't about winning after all.