• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Test at the SCG, Sydney, 7 Jan - 11 Jan 2021

thierry henry

International Coach
yeah but if he's still taking more than his fair share of top order wickets, which he is, then i don't really see how, mathematically, that could end up "skewing" his average. it's just not that big a proportion of the wickets he takes.
Well say he takes 12 wickets every 3 matches, 4 are the tail and he concedes 36 runs less than the average bowler bowling to the tail across 4 tail end wickets, that reduces his average by 3 right? Which is not insignificant

of course this is all speculation and it strikes me as highly unlikely the difference would even be significant enough to be worth as much as 1 or 2 average points

Spark

Global Moderator
johnson's wide cutters were legit good balls tbf. i reckon that, had he really perfected his cutters, he would have done a lot better in the subcontinent than he did.
like imagine if he had really learned to nail these deliveries on abrasive, dry surfaces through his career

he'd have taken a stack more wickets in india and SL

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
johnson 2009 copped similar. i still remember the pews post in a tour thread after yet another 'he only gets wickets because batsmen edge his pies' - "i guess 150kph half volley off cutters are just harder to play than we think"
Haha, remember the endless moaning from us in the early Wagner years?

"FUUUUU!!!! This useless shunt needs to stop taking so many wickets from nothing balls! If he doesn't we'll never get guaranteed ATG Matt Henry into the XI!"

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
johnson's wide cutters were legit good balls tbf. i reckon that, had he really perfected his cutters, he would have done a lot better in the subcontinent than he did.
I think it was a UAE tour where he was bowling off cutters every ball at 130km/h and they were turning square. Genuinely disappointed he didn't go for either a spell as a 37 year old second 'spinner' or a T20 mercenary career with them.

Spark

Global Moderator
Well say he takes 12 wickets every 3 matches, 4 are the tail and he concedes 36 runs less than the average bowler bowling to the tail across 4 tail end wickets, that reduces his average by 3 right? Which is not insignificant

of course this is all speculation and it strikes me as highly unlikely the difference would even be significant enough to be worth as much as 1 or 2 average points
i don't think the rest of this attack - which is the comparison point - concedes enough runs to the tail in general for starc to actually take 36 runs less than the average bowler just on mathematical grounds alone. cummins, hazlewood and lyon get quite a few tailenders too!

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think it was a UAE tour where he was bowling off cutters every ball at 130km/h and they were turning square. Genuinely disappointed he didn't go for either a spell as a 37 year old second 'spinner' or a T20 mercenary career with them.
It was that first test particularly, arguably the best bowling of that period for him. Had glorious figures IIRC.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tbf, it's not so much the % of wickets he takes against the tail, but the average he gets those wickets at. Can't be ****ed looking up what has numbers are against the tail, and comparing it with other bowlers though.
They would probably have loved him to emulate those numbers today against the tail. Tail end runs are the pits when you’re in the field. The absolute ****ing pits. As Spark has noted, blowing away the tail is a valuable skill tstl

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They would probably have loved him to emulate those numbers today against the tail. Tail end runs are the pits when you’re in the field. The absolute ****ing pits. As Spark has noted, blowing away the tail is a valuable skill tstl
Not as valuable as bouncing them for 10 to 15 overs aimlessly.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Starc was Australia's worst bowler (and arguably worst player even ahead of Paine) all test imo. Surprised he's getting a passionate defence from the aussie posters. And yeah I do get some of the criticism has been inaccurate tbf.