• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Test at the SCG, Sydney, 7 Jan - 11 Jan 2021

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah but you know Starc can swing it away from the right hander from that angle. So you are still going to the offside unless the ball deviates off the wicket. Mean, the first movement is still the regular one, at least it was for me with our left arm opening bowler back in school days.
From left arm around with Starc's action, he's not swinging it 'away' towards first slip in a traditional sense, he's swinging it back-to-straight because of the angle. It's a really awkward thing to wicketkeep to, on the basis that if Starc loses one down even slightly down leg it's angling a long way down and you're throwing yourself at it and hoping. With the amount of short stuff on offer, standing straighter is perfectly reasonable to ensure that a leg side strangle is in catching range.

It means that an edge to first slip is going to be a much thicker one with much more deviation from the original trajectory than if the ball had got there from a right arm over release, and the wicketkeeper is going to be far more unsighted. I think it's a tricky catch where needing a dive, in it itself, isn't a failure of technique. Paine executed very badly because he didn't look ready for it and he's not an exceptional 'footwork' keeper.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If you’re injured it’s a bit easier to stonewall in the sense it’s literally all you can do.

Also, Cummins would have a decent crack at trying the Ashwin job from today. Don’t know he’d succeed but it’s the sort of thing he’d have a dip at
He did when India last toured, didn't he? Just had 0 support so he merely delayed the inevitable

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's literally not true. Like, you can count the actual wickets that he's taken over his Test career and he hasn't taken a disproportionate amount of 8-11 wickets at all. It's like... numerically not true.
You always say this but you never post proof. Put your money where your mouth is you fascist.

Flem274*

123/5
i think my favourite australian poster meme is pumping the tyres of their attack, castigating them during the game then the red mist descending when some random neutral poster disses them.

tbf that meme has shifted towards being an english pastime these days since the meme quartet are delivering on their talent now but im getting nostalgic reading this.
It's literally not true. Like, you can count the actual wickets that he's taken over his Test career and he hasn't taken a disproportionate amount of 8-11 wickets at all. It's like... numerically not true.
starc went through a long phase of wasting the new ball, which is probably where the perception comes from.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
yeah if they actually went for the win, then imo this test is done roughly an hour ago. it's a lot easier to survive on this pitch than survive *and* score quickly, especially if they decide to bounce you.
I dont think it is about scoring "quick" though. I just feel if they were able to run normally, Australia may just have panicked more. Then who knows what happened? We may well have lost as Starc may have produced a better spell or something but also possible we could have actually won with Australia rattled and the memories of the Ashes Stokes knock still there.

thierry henry

International Coach
Yeah but surely that isn't unusual? They're crap at batting, that's why they're the tail. Of course they wouldn't be scoring many runs off a bloke bowling 145km/h bouncers.
tbf his average vs the tail could be significantly better than a normal average vs the tail. Like, he might routinely come on and take 2/10 whereas when Bowler X gets called on to bowl against the tail they tend to take 2/30. Would make a decent difference to overall average if it’s a real thing.

trundler

Interesring that you are still trying to make this about me, frankly I'm flattered

But the truth of the matter is you were wrong, got called out on it, and are now having a weapons grade dummy spit about it
lol m8 you've made ridiculous reaches about me simply because I don't rate Starc which is fine but you can't complain about the qualify of my posts.

Starc is still a hack and you can gagfc

Spark

Global Moderator
i think my favourite australian poster meme is pumping the tyres of their attack, castigating them during the game then the red mist descending when some random neutral poster disses them.

tbf that meme has shifted towards being an english pastime these days since the meme quartet are delivering on their talent now but im getting nostalgic reading this.

starc went through a long phase of wasting the new ball, which is probably where the perception comes from.
i think it's mostly because he has the perception of getting a big proportion of his wickets from crap balls, especially wide slashes that are nowhere near the stumps. but honestly, he's been doing it for long enough that it's not really an accident.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That phase never ended and it's pure jingoism and denial to say otherwise. Getting one ball right in the first 5 overs and getting a terrible opening bat out doesn't amount to tiddly squat.

Spark

Global Moderator
tbf his average vs the tail could be significantly better than a normal average vs the tail. Like, he might routinely come on and take 2/10 whereas when Bowler X gets called on to bowl against the tail they tend to take 2/30. Would make a decent difference to overall average if it’s a real thing.
yeah but if he's still taking more than his fair share of top order wickets, which he is, then i don't really see how, mathematically, that could end up "skewing" his average. it's just not that big a proportion of the wickets he takes.

Flem274*

123/5
i think it's mostly because he has the perception of getting a big proportion of his wickets from crap balls, especially wide slashes that are nowhere near the stumps. but honestly, he's been doing it for long enough that it's not really an accident.
johnson 2009 copped similar. i still remember the pews post in a tour thread after yet another 'he only gets wickets because batsmen edge his pies' - "i guess 150kph half volley off cutters are just harder to play than we think"

Spark

Global Moderator
I dont think it is about scoring "quick" though. I just feel if they were able to run normally, Australia may just have panicked more. Then who knows what happened? We may well have lost as Starc may have produced a better spell or something but also possible we could have actually won with Australia rattled and the memories of the Ashes Stokes knock still there.
oh yeah it's possible, but then who knows - maybe they would have gotten nervous too and started losing discipline in their shot selection. impossible to be sure either way.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah but surely that isn't unusual? They're crap at batting, that's why they're the tail. Of course they wouldn't be scoring many runs off a bloke bowling 145km/h bouncers.
Yeah, and look I agree 100% that even if Starc has an unusually large gap between his average against 1-7 batsmen and his average v 8-11 batsmen, that's still a useful player to have in your team, especially in the modern era when tailenders have generally improved.

Burgey

nah trundles showed up daily for pakistans most recent belting. can't remember the last time penile dysentry was here after an indian loss.
Quote of the season this.

It’s not just a loss though. The bloke doesn’t front if they have a bad hour after tea on day three. Why I CBF replying to his gormless **** here. Sunilz is the same.

having said that, it’s good when they don’t post. Literally the highlight of 2020 was sunilz declaring early pandemic he wouldn’t post. Three workable vaccines and a Trump loss later, his absence still made the network end of year highlight reels.

Spark

Global Moderator
johnson 2009 copped similar. i still remember the pews post in a tour thread after yet another 'he only gets wickets because batsmen edge his pies' - "i guess 150kph half volley off cutters are just harder to play than we think"
johnson's wide cutters were legit good balls tbf. i reckon that, had he really perfected his cutters, he would have done a lot better in the subcontinent than he did.