• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India's Tour of Australia 2020/21 - General discussion

aussie tragic

International Captain
Paine now 3rd best bat for Australia since start of last summer with 239 runs @ 47.80 from the 6 home tests. Really highlights form of these four:

Wade - 225 runs @ 37.50
Head - 244 runs @ 34.85
Smith - 255 runs @ 31.87
Burns - 264 runs @ 29.33

Very consistent but also very English 80-90s mediocrity!

With Warner missing and Labuschagne playing a wierd innings, no wonder Australia was bowled out for 191

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Looking ahead to the next Test.

Losing this test is not only damaging to our batting lineup's psyche. We have also given Joe Burns and Matty Wade some confidence.

Aus will probably drop Head for Warner now. Wade is better equipped to deal with Ashwin, Joe Burns has earned another crack as opener, so out Head goes. This meanse we lose the one 'easy' wicket in their middle order.

And about dropping Shaw - yes drop him please, but do we really believe that Gill will be a significant step? Like Shaw right now is 0 but Gill might only be a 3.

If Shami is injured and we have to play Siraj, I'd be tempted to be unorthodox and select Jadeja to open. He's got the balls and will come out fighting, tell him to be Jayasuriya-light and go after the Aussies. If he fails, he still adds massive value in the field as bowling cover for Siraj/Aswhin. And plus you need a character like him on the field after such a devastating loss, especially with Virat gone and Rahane captaining. Who even is gonna be the vice captain? Ashwin????

I'd retain Saha just because I think his runout of Wade was really nice, and I don't believe Pant in current form is the answer. And with Virat gone we need experience on the field.

Last edited:

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Really? I mean the quicks hardly had a workout 2nd dig, and Marnus can send down servicable leggies as a 5th bowler option.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Haven't seen alot of Bevan (not really my era) but think Marnus is pretty handy with the ball. Maybe Michael Clarke would be a better comparison? I don't think Marnus has his control but think he's an adequate 5th bowler

Spark

Global Moderator
Haven't seen alot of Bevan (not really my era) but think Marnus is pretty handy with the ball. Maybe Michael Clarke would be a better comparison? I don't think Marnus has his control but think he's an adequate 5th bowler
Nah, nowhere near the requisite level IMO. Useful part-timer and that's it. Seam-up is infinitely more useful too.

In general I feel that the gap between "good part-time bowler" and "actual 5th bowler" is much bigger than people realise.

Spark

Global Moderator
Also, Green averages 22 in Shield cricket with the ball, and honestly from what I've seen is good value for that too. We aren't talking handy medium-pace dibbly dobbly seamers here. I have serious concerns about his action from an injury-prone POV but his actual bowling looks like it has real potential.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
In general I feel that the gap between "good part-time bowler" and "actual 5th bowler" is much bigger than people realise.
Do you think there's a big discrepancy between the two? Just curious. Apart from a handful of players in the modern era who could fulfil the role of a 5th bowler very well (Kallis, Stokes and maybe Flintoff would qualify). I just feel that a good part-time bowler not far from an actual 5th bowler in itself

For example, Joe Root imo is a pretty useful and underratedl spinner. Would he be a consistent 5th bowling option if he was asked to take this role on for lets say a few years? Probably not. But he's handy on occasions. If say England's fast bowling attack was Anderson, Broad, Woakes and Archer - then Root would probably only be used to hold down an end and give the fast bowlers some rest. In essence, he'd be an actual 5th bowler and would be fulfilling his role. It's obviously based on some many intangibles.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Yea Green is worth persisting with if you're sure he will bowl enough overs to justify the potential reduced returns with the bat.

I reckon he's more likely to score runs than Travis Head anyways, so I'd pick him even if he didn't bowl.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The 5th bowler discussion here is so polarising. I definitely see the value of a good fifth bowler. You don't need to shoehorn Kyle Jamieson at 7 and get a speciality but a Stokes or even Watto adds immense value. Yeah, sure he won't be bowling 20 overs a day but keeping the pressure on at all times and having a backup is immense imo.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The 5th bowler discussion here is so polarising.
It's also completely irrelevant in this case. Even if Green couldn't bowl he's getting picked before Travis Head at this stage. They are definitely not dropping Green, he's safer than all of Head, Burns and Wade.