• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India's Tour of Australia 2020/21 - General discussion

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah I think it's time for Head to sit on the sidelines when Warner returns. I'm genuinely surprised his technique hasn't been found out at test level. Barely moves his feet.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Really though, we need to be trying to find batsmen with a chance to succeed in harder conditions, against stronger bowling. At no point during his career has Head ever looked like being that guy. Would love to see Maxwell at least get that opportunity.

Gnske

Really though, we need to be trying to find batsmen with a chance to succeed in harder conditions, against stronger bowling. At no point during his career has Head ever looked like being that guy. Would love to see Maxwell at least get that opportunity.
Replacing a mediocre test batsman with a proven test failure.

I wouldn't have Maxwell subjected to another short stint before being unceremoniously dumped again. It's guaranteed to happen.

TheJediBrah

Replacing a mediocre test batsman with a proven test failure.

I wouldn't have Maxwell subjected to another short stint before being unceremoniously dumped again. It's guaranteed to happen.
not sure if srs. If Travis Head had only played the games Maxwell had he'd be lucky to average 5.

I'm not saying he'd definitely be a huge Test success, but he's got a much bigger chance of it than Head. He already made a match-saving hundred in India

Gnske

not sure if srs. If Travis Head had only played the games Maxwell had he'd be lucky to average 5.

I'm not saying he'd definitely be a huge Test success, but he's got a much bigger chance of it than Head. He already made a match-saving hundred in India
At least Travis has an FC average this year and offers occasional 50s in between his hundreds.

You need to think of it from a humanitarian point of view too. Another stint in Tests would probably break Glenn Maxwell, I don't want to have to wait another 14 innings to see a landmark. He'd be dumped well before it.

TheJediBrah

At least Travis has an FC average this year and offers occasional 50s in between his hundreds.

You need to think of it from a humanitarian point of view too. Another stint in Tests would probably break Glenn Maxwell, I don't want to have to wait another 14 innings to see a landmark. He'd be dumped well before it.
I'll admit the time is passed and it will never happen now anyway. Maxwell never should have been dropped when he was and should have been picked for a hume summer. If he wasn't such a gun white-ball player, keeping him out of Shield cricket, he'd have forced his way in long ago too.

Spark

Global Moderator
The 5th bowler discussion here is so polarising. I definitely see the value of a good fifth bowler. You don't need to shoehorn Kyle Jamieson at 7 and get a speciality but a Stokes or even Watto adds immense value. Yeah, sure he won't be bowling 20 overs a day but keeping the pressure on at all times and having a backup is immense imo.
It also just flat out gives you another option when your usual plans are working for whatever reason, especially if your fifth bowling is more of an out-and-out wicket taking bowler than a holding bowler. Stokes' marathon spell at Headingley comes to mind.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Shami being out is such a big blow for India. Gavaskar mentioned that India should bring Ishant if possible so he can play at Sydney. Sainia or Siraj will mean more stress for the main two pacers as neither seem very good right now. We are ****ed..

Burgey

Yeah I think it's time for Head to sit on the sidelines when Warner returns. I'm genuinely surprised his technique hasn't been found out at test level. Barely moves his feet.
Neither did Damien Martyn or Virender Sehwag.

stephen

Neither did Damien Martyn or Virender Sehwag.
True, especially for the latter. I'm a big fan of Head but he's the one who I think is most vulnerable right now. Burns just saved his spot, Green is too exciting not to play, Wade just earned himself another 3 years by opening for Langer when asked.

Obviously this is only if Warner is available.

Burgey

You're too young to remember Martyn's first few tests. Basically was lucky not to have his papers marked after single handedly losing the 94 test vs SA. Woeful.

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't see a lot of Martyn or Sehwag in Head tbh. They played with a straight bat and an absolutely still head; Head is all moving parts and flashing hands. Clearly he has very good hand-eye coordination, he fights hard and his understanding of batsmanship is actually pretty good, but it fills you with 0 confidence in general.

Burgey

He'll be right. Will average 40 plus provided he gets long enough. Martyn was terrible when he was young. Truly. And that's just referring to him as a bloke.

aussie tragic

International Captain