• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2019-2020

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
We can do a lot worse than picking those 2 at home against Pak and NZ. Wouldn't surprise me if they both averaged 50+ for the summer. Problem is they aren't long term solutions and I'm highly sceptical that they'd be much use overseas.

It wasn't really. He looked a lot better than most. I'd back him more than Travis Head tbh.
Burns is 30, so he has a good few years left of his peak. Khawaja too. Not every player has to be a decade+ player who is also an ATG. I'd pretty much settle for openers who could ton up once a series and hit a couple of half tons while getting regular Cowans.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
The way they have treated Siddle this series sums up how he's bern treated during his career; selected too often for Australia when there were better options available.

Wouldn't surprise if they picked him for this Test on basis of he went in corresponding 2015 match as that's how he got on the tour in the first place.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Burns is 30, so he has a good few years left of his peak. Khawaja too. Not every player has to be a decade+ player who is also an ATG. I'd pretty much settle for openers who could ton up once a series and hit a couple of half tons while getting regular Cowans.
I'm not commenting on their age when I say that I don't seem them as long-term solutions. I'm commenting that I can't see them being much use outside Australia and ideally we want openers that can score runs not just in Australia.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
I'm not commenting on their age when I say that I don't seem them as long-term solutions. I'm commenting that I can't see them being much use outside Australia and ideally we want openers that can score runs not just in Australia.
On that score Warner shouldn't be picked for any more overseas tours. Apart from the Bangladesh series been a prime reason why Oz have failed to win in SA, England, SL & India over the past 4 years.

But presuming he keeps producing at home they'll continue to pick him.

TheJediBrah

On that score Warner shouldn't be picked for any more overseas tours. Apart from the Bangladesh series been a prime reason why Oz have failed to win in SA, England, SL & India over the past 4 years.

But presuming he keeps producing at home they'll continue to pick him.
I've been pretty vocal about not wanting him picked for the home summer, unless he really dominates in the early Shield rounds

aussie tragic

International Captain
Since a drawn Ashes is already forgotten about, is it time this thread was moved to CC like the OP suggested.

We have a warm up test series vs Pakistan to prepare for before taking on the #2 test side New Zealand ;)

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Picking Siddle for the final test could have been slightly justified if they hadn't already picked Marsh. Picking both in the same side was lunacy, especially when you have two guns sitting on the bench.

Everyone was singing Marsh's praises after the first innings but his batting was horrid. Again. We cannot carry him at 6. maybe 7 would be ok if we had a solid top 6, but we don't.

Cummins very unlucky not to have picked up a bag in the first innings as well. He basically got Root out 4 times alone. On another day he's the one cleaning up the dodgy middle order instead of Marsh.

Siddle was a waste of space. He wasn't economical, he didn't take wickets and he didn't contribute with the bat. Paine's brain explosion notwithstanding, we likely would have lost the match anyway with three batsmen in the top 6 and a dead weight bowler at first change.
Agree about Marsh. He did very well with the ball but he was picked as a Top 6 bat and failed for the umpteenth time. He isn't going to be picked as a bowler in Oz conditions so can't see him getting picked next Test.

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
Agree about Marsh. He did very well with the ball but he was picked as a Top 6 bat and failed for the umpteenth time. He isn't going to be picked as a bowler in Oz conditions so can't see him getting picked next Test.
Like a bad case of genital herpes MMarsh will be back,

Especially since, after Headingley, the Australian selectors reverted back to "we must pick an allrounder regardless of how sh!t he is" selection criterion.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
The argument that Warner should be picked because the wickets will be flat, Pakistan, etc is just ridiculous and simply rewards a ftb whose lack of runs was a primary reason why we only drew the series
Not really, if there were ANY other openers that looked capable of scoring runs I'm sure they'd consider dropping him. But as it stands they've tried Bancroft and Harris with no success, Renshaw isn't making any runs, Khawaja looked woeful in England, Burns is probably better down the order, etc etc.

You can't discard a 79 test opener who averages 45 in test cricket when we are at this point of selection. And when he averages 62 at home, even more so.

If you don't pick Warner (and, as you say, reward a ftb), what are you gonna do? Pick Bancroft and Harris who have never really shown anything at test level? Nup.

Mark my words, Warner will have an immense home summer.

Last edited:

stephen

It's the problem that England had with Cook for the last couple of years of his career.

social

Not really, if there were ANY other openers that looked capable of scoring runs I'm sure they'd consider dropping him. But as it stands they've tried Bancroft and Harris with no success, Renshaw isn't making any runs, Khawaja looked woeful in England, Burns is probably better down the order, etc etc.

You can't discard a 79 test opener who averages 45 in test cricket when we are at this point of selection. And when he averages 62 at home, even more so.

If you don't pick Warner (and, as you say, reward a ftb), what are you gonna do? Pick Bancroft and Harris who have never really shown anything at test level? Nup.

Mark my words, Warner will have an immense home summer.
Unless he scores runs in the Shield, there´s absolutely no justification for picking a guy who put up one of the worst performances IN HISTORY

We arent simply talking about someone who performed worse than expectations

Warner was a massive liability

As for Bancroft and Harris, I was against their selection in the first place due to their glaring technical deficiencies

Should go without saying that every contender needs runs early doors while some (e.g. Bancroft, Harris and Renshaw) needs runs AND evidence that they have worked on their techniques or else they´re simple rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic

Last edited:

morgieb

It's the problem that England had with Cook for the last couple of years of his career.
Exactly. For all the criticism is there anyone that you're confident that would do significantly better? The only two that might be better are Khawaja and Burns. I'm a Silk fan but he just hasn't put the runs on the board.

TheJediBrah

Exactly. For all the criticism is there anyone that you're confident that would do significantly better? The only two that might be better are Khawaja and Burns. I'm a Silk fan but he just hasn't put the runs on the board.
Patterson or Pucovksi. Select middle order players to open if we have to.

ftr I think Khawaja would be a better opener than he was a no. 3, I'd pick him in the position unless he stinks up the early Shield

aussie tragic

International Captain
It happened to Bill Lawry who was averaging 47 from 67 test when he was dropped.

And Michael Slater who was dropped averaging 43 after 74 tests.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Anyone else a little concerned that they might be able to easily work out labuschagne from now on?

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I really don't like the idea of trying to meme a middle order player into an opener generally speaking, but Kurtis Patterson may well be considered for that. Has one of the tighter techniques going around, and has opened on occasion back earlier in his FC career. I wouldn't do it personally, but if our actual openers keep on failing it may well be thought about

Definitely not Pucovski though, no way is throwing him in the deep end in an unfamiliar position a good idea

aussie tragic

International Captain
Who remembers when openers were like the current fast bowlers, too many to fit in.

Warner, Bancroft, Renshaw, Burns, Harris...

...now we're looking at Khawaja and Patterson to step up to open and rightly so (I'd go Pucovski myself if he opens for the Vics this season)

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Pucovski bats at three anyway though
Yeah he does, but the fact that he has played so little first class cricket kinda outweighs that to some extent, I would like to see him make consistent runs there week in week out for Victoria before even being considered for the job at international level. Let Pucovski hone his craft domestically, I don't subscribe to the idea of picking him just to blood him in Test cricket at all

Do I think he could be a test number three some day: Yes, absolutely
Do I think that day is in the immediate future: Nope

TheJediBrah

Yeah he does, but the fact that he has played so little first class cricket kinda outweighs that to some extent, I would like to see him make consistent runs there week in week out for Victoria before even being considered for the job at international level.
This would be a very respectable viewpoint if we had someone else who could do the job competently.

tbh I'd prefer starting him at 6. Burns and Khawaja would do a fine job for the home summer as openers, just wouldn't want to take them on our next overseas tours, but we'd be stuck with them if they play all summer and average 50 each which they probably would.