• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Test at Headingley, Leeds

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Sounds like old school trying to get to a radio back in the day before most every place had a big screen tv up,
They've heard of big screen TVs in Suffolk, but they've no idea how to catch one if they saw it, or how they'd eat it if they did.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Watching the last day's play the thing which isn't mentioned is just how vocal the crowd were. Their volume and intensity definitely feed into the play in the middle and Australia's panic in the field was partly to do with the buzz of the crowd.

Was terrific too see such a vocal crowd for day 4 of a test.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They've heard of big screen TVs in Suffolk, but they've no idea how to catch one if they saw it, or how they'd eat it if they did.
I’d heard this before, but wasn’t sure. Glad to receive independent corroboration

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Just listened back to the last 20 minutes of Test Match Special commentary. Glenn McGrath said “Why would you not give that out when England has reviews left?” Agnew said “Good point”. Alistair Cook said “No, because of umpires call”. Agnew said “Good point”.

Don’t know what McGraths reputation is in the media.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Surely Stokes is not human. Just ban him already and get it done with. How the hell does he win England too unwinnable matches in less than 2 months almost single handedly? Supported NZ then and Aus now and this is so frustrating to watch even though my team is not involved. That said on first look the LBW appeal didn't look out and the umpire can't be blamed for not giving it.

Also it's amazing that Australia manages to find itself in so many close matches so often!!

Daemon

Morgie WAFG. Should sig that post.

Paine's mistake first for wasting review, Wilson getting the LBW wrong second.
:laugh: the extent you will go to

In terms of responsibility, it was primarily Wilson’s fault. I’m amazed anyone can argue otherwise with a straight face.

Burgey

***** would defend the Hong Kong police if they started whopping on protesters while wearing a white shirt, tie and black strides.

cnerd123

likes this
:laugh: the extent you will go to

In terms of responsibility, it was primarily Wilson’s fault. I’m amazed anyone can argue otherwise with a straight face.
I thought you were going chronologically.

When Wilson made the wrong decision it wasn't Paine's fault in any way. It wasn't Wilson's mistake first, Paine's second. It was Wilson's mistake only.

The reason Paine couldn't review it is because he burned the review. That was Paine's mistake only. Wilson had no role in that.

Paine's mistake happened before Wilson's.

I don't get how you can say it's Wilson's responsibility in any way that Paine didn't have a review left. I don't understand how you say the way things transpired is primarily Wilson's fault. The review system is there and Paine used it dumbly.

There are cases where moaning about DRS is legit -like when teams lose their reviews for an inconclusive catch or edge- but this game is not one of them.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've never seen someone so keen to white-knight umpires, who have been consistently the weakest link in the game pretty much since it was invented.

cnerd123

likes this
I've never seen someone so keen to white-knight umpires, who have been consistently the weakest link in the game pretty much since it was invented.
Troll post

DRS has nothing to do with umpires. It's a system for players to use that is designed by the ICC. Players used it dumbly and it cost them the game. People then complain about the system, which is just as dumb.

A ton of people in this thread have pointed this out already but Daemon and Burgey can't seem to get their heads around it.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Ffs so much garbage. So ridiculous to suggest that the DRS doesn’t influence the umpires. I can’t even comprehend the stupidity of that idea

Unless this is some sort of ‘troll post’

Daemon

I thought you were going chronologically.

When Wilson made the wrong decision it wasn't Paine's fault in any way. It wasn't Wilson's mistake first, Paine's second. It was Wilson's mistake only.
Thank you

The reason Paine couldn't review it is because he burned the review. That was Paine's mistake only. Wilson had no role in that.

Paine's mistake happened before Wilson's.

I don't get how you can say it's Wilson's responsibility in any way that Paine didn't have a review left.
I wasn't saying that.

I don't understand how you say the way things transpired is primarily Wilson's fault. The review system is there and Paine used it dumbly.
Of course it's primarily Wilson's fault that he made a wrong decision. Without that wrong decision the question of DRS doesn't even arise.

TheJediBrah

Troll post

DRS has nothing to do with umpires. It's a system for players to use that is designed by the ICC. Players used it dumbly and it cost them the game. People then complain about the system, which is just as dumb.

A ton of people in this thread have pointed this out already but Daemon and Burgey can't seem to get their heads around it.
wow no. DRS has everything to do with umpires. The amount it is used/needed is directly a result of the competence of the umpires. And the 3rd umpire is the one operating the system when a decision needs to be made.

Spark

Global Moderator
Lmao what a bull**** post. That lbw wasn't a clear mistake and even if it was, Australia suffered because they used the system dumbly. Teams are still allowed to lose cricket matches for being dumb right? Or do you want to eradicate that as well?
Teams should lose cricket matches because they're worse at the actual sport, not at being umpires.

wow no. DRS has everything to do with umpires. The amount it is used/needed is directly a result of the competence of the umpires. And the 3rd umpire is the one operating the system when a decision needs to be made.
This was, at least, the 5th occasion in this series where a review would have seen a decision overturned but it wasn't taken/wasn't available.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Teams should lose cricket matches because they're worse at the actual sport, not at being umpires.
This.

The worst thing about the DRS is that it makes this not necessarily true all the time. It's an element I hate seeing added to the game. I'm willing to put up with it given the trade-off we get in so many bad decisions being over-turned, but it's not something we should just accept. If we can reduce element this then we should.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Of course it's primarily Wilson's fault that he made a wrong decision. Without that wrong decision the question of DRS doesn't even arise.
haha, so much this. Completely ridiculous that ***** is even trying to contest otherwise. it's also only a small step from this line of reasoning to Michael Vaughan's "burt teh ump shoulda given eet out coz England still 'ad teir review left!"

Last edited:

Arachnodouche

International Captain
***** has some conflict of interest here, doesn't he? I believe he umpires himself so he's only defending kin; you never know when he strikes big and gets to be on the receiving end of fan abuse ;)