• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Test at Headingley, Leeds

Bijed

International Regular
Teams are still allowed to lose cricket matches for being dumb right? Or do you want to eradicate that as well?
Tbh, I completely agree with you that sensible usage of reviews is now just another part of the game (in an ideal world the umpiring would be of a higher standard as to make it less of a factor, but that's not the point right now), but from my personal POV, getting the rub of the green with umpiring decisions, even if the opposition have wasted their reviews first, can take the edge off a victory and potentially make it feel hollow - as can the opposition being outright dumb in a purer cricketing sense, but to a lesser extent imo (the latter is more of a 'we were let of the hook there' as opposed to 'we were lucky there'.

cnerd123

likes this
Tbh, I completely agree with you that sensible usage of reviews is now just another part of the game (in an ideal world the umpiring would be of a higher standard as to make it less of a factor, but that's not the point right now), but from my personal POV, getting the rub of the green with umpiring decisions, even if the opposition have wasted their reviews first, can take the edge off a victory and potentially make it feel hollow - as can the opposition being outright dumb in a purer cricketing sense, but to a lesser extent imo (the latter is more of a 'we were let of the hook there' as opposed to 'we were lucky there'.
What a player or fan feels is entirely down to their own morals and ethics. Players walking, claiming bump catches, over appealing, calling batsmen back, etc has long been part and parcel of the game.

It's just this ridiculous idea to say that DRS sucks when it's Paine's own poor handling of it that potentially cost Australia the game that I'm annoyed with. Not saying you should be happy when you win a game off a poor decision or anything.

And it was Australia's mistake first. For wasting their review. And then Wilson's mistake. Let's get that straight.

cnerd123

likes this
“trying to excuse the players for being dumb”? Morgie literally dished out a death threat.

It was the umps fault first, and Paine’s second.
Morgie WAFG. Should sig that post.

Paine's mistake first for wasting review, Wilson getting the LBW wrong second.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'm a tad surprised most of the debate has been about the (non-) LBW. I was listening to it on TMS driving back from the seaside so didn't see it until the highlights and, to be honest, I thought it was marginal.

I don't want to be that old man shouting at clouds but it really didn't look like it came back anywhere near enough to be hitting middle.

Lyon's horlicks of the run out was surely the "You've dropped the Ashes, mate" moment?

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That decision going England's way is just proof that cricketing Gods exist TBH.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I'm a tad surprised most of the debate has been about the (non-) LBW. I was listening to it on TMS driving back from the seaside so didn't see it until the highlights and, to be honest, I thought it was marginal.

I don't want to be that old man shouting at clouds but it really didn't look like it came back anywhere near enough to be hitting middle.

Lyon's horlicks of the run out was surely the "You've dropped the Ashes, mate" moment?
I've heard the TMS commentary since and loved the Agnew scream of "It's umpire Wilson" before he made his decision.

Howe_zat

Audio File

You're not alone in that opinion - https://twitter.com/ESPNcricinfo/status/1165888861760892928

'I thought as soon as it hit me, it was sliding down leg because there was no spin'

Ben Stokes reckons DRS got that final LBW projection wrong �� #Ashes
That said I'm reluctant to take on the opinion of the bloke who just missed it.

wrongun

Banned
This loss should spur the Aussies to win the next 2. Wonder if this meltdown will force them to go with a 5th bowler or Mmarsh. Been saying this since the start, 4 bowlers is way too less since England posses a threat with their middle order and not top. Also, wish Haze bowled fuller during that onslaught.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
They tried a few yorkers to Leach but just couldn't quite hit the spot and were generally going down leg like the DRS one.

Thought of the Oz bowlers towards the end Lyon bowled the best. Apart from the missed LBW there was an earlier over to Stokes where he smartly frustrated him by bowling wide and out of his hitting zone so he could only take a single at the end of the over.

Did any of the pace attack try any slower balls against Stokes for the final wicket? Can't recall any and a missed tactical idea if that's the case. Thought Cummins had a pretty good one iirc.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Re: the Stokes LBW, as others have said it looked live as if it was going down legside a bit because of how Stokes was positioned and that often fools umpires (and commentators).

Notice this a lot with LBW decisions for deliveries that are shooters. Because it looks so damning on first visual impression the automatic response is to give it out even if it's hitting outside off or going down leg.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
I have always believed that DRS should function more like Rugby's TMO, where it aids the umpire in making touchy decisions, not some additional 'tactic' that is left to the disposal of the captains. That is just placing entertainment above integrity, whc

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I have always believed that DRS should function more like Rugby's TMO, where it aids the umpire in making touchy decisions, not some additional 'tactic' that is left to the disposal of the captains. That is just placing entertainment above integrity, whc
I'm afraid it'll be like run outs where even pretty obvious ones are referred 'just to make sure'. If you could check it real time, or close to it, it may make sense.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Sorry if this has been covered, but surely there is no one this side of the cro magnon age that thinks Joel Wilson should have given the last lbw out because England had a review left and technological justice could be served? Because that's dumb on many levels and not the least which being the stupid umpires call margin.

Michael Vaughan is apparently one such imbecile.

And I wish to join the band of people who thinks ball tracker looked off and it was possibly sliding down. It didnt at all look to me like it was slow enough to grip? And was heading down with the arm. Not the worst decision at all for me.

Burgey

Have DRS to see if LBWs are out: check

Get an important one which shows three reds: hmm, looks a bit off to me, it can’t possibly have been right in this case. Never mind.

As for Vaughan, stupid comments are expected from him and this is no exception.. Though I think there are situations where umpires will do it - allows them to hedge against their own poor decision making.

Burgey

He certainly dropped the test. Then again, so did Warner and Harris.

Tracking had it hitting the inside of leg, rather than middle

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Sorry if this has been covered, but surely there is no one this side of the cro magnon age that thinks Joel Wilson should have given the last lbw out because England had a review left and technological justice could be served? Because that's dumb on many levels and not the least which being the stupid umpires call margin.

Michael Vaughan is apparently one such imbecile.

And I wish to join the band of people who thinks ball tracker looked off and it was possibly sliding down. It didnt at all look to me like it was slow enough to grip? And was heading down with the arm. Not the worst decision at all for me.
Tend to agree with all of this. Though I realise I am deeply biased.

Not least Vaughan being an imbecile. Terrible commentator, made to appear only fractionally more likeable by comparison with his colleague G Boycott.

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Spent all of yesterday, under sufferance, in the Suffolk countryside mostly away from mobile internet coverage. In the end had to call a friend, who put his phone next to the radio so I could listen that way.

Amazing match, obvs, and high quality reactions on here - not least from the Aussie contingent.

Burgey

Sounds like old school trying to get to a radio back in the day before most every place had a big screen tv up,