• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Qeshile with Breetzke, van Tonder & Mulder are the future of our testing batting. Our gun world stars for me. Test and limited overs cricket.
I have so much hope and expectation on these players. Makes me a little nervous and excited...

...like going out with a new girl!

SeamUp

International Coach
There is an article on the Shamsi idea and it is just getting ripped to shreds on twitter :laugh:

Morris, Pretorius, Shamsi. ****.

Last edited:

StephenZA

I don't hate the Shamsi idea, at least he is a bit different and can be a threatening bowler. His economy is not bad for a wrist spinner in current LO's cricket. He gives Faf options.

I just found the article by rob houwing.... he seams to be talking about Shamsi for Ngidi? Thats just stupid. If Steyn is not ready well them we really screwed anyway and I may as well go and play.

Last edited:

Dendarii

International Debutant
Yeah, Shamsi's actually more economical than Ngidi and Phehlukwayo (also Morris, but that's less of an achievement). The difference is that those two do pick up wickets, which is where Shamsi hasn't convinced me. I'm not expecting him to be in the same ballpark as Tahir, but his ODI average of 35.89 is some way off his overall List A average, which is a decent 28.69.

SeamUp

International Coach
Those grounds for the tests certainly aren't Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata, Mohali, Bengaluru, Ahmedabad, Nagpur

Proper out grounds for ODI cricket ? :laugh: 3 spinners for India.

Looking into it.

Ranchi has had one test : Full Scorecard of India vs Australia 3rd Test 2017 - Score Report | ESPNcricinfo.com

Vizag only one test : http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...ngland-2nd-test-england-tour-of-india-2016-17

Pune only test : http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...india-vs-australia-1st-test-ind-v-aus-2016-17

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah won't be nice to see Steyn bowling on a flat graveyard of a pitch in front of empty stands on his last tour of India.

Rasimione

U19 Captain
Honestly we all saw this coming. A mere look at the team shows how poor some of they players are. Morris, Duminy and Pretorius are not the type of players you can rely upon to win matches. Miller is hot and cold. Amla is bloody lucky to have made the team. It doesn't help that Otis Gibson is only a bowling coach IMO.

Amla
QDK
MARKRAM
FAF
RVD
Duminy
Miller
Phehlukwayo
Morris
Rabada
Tahir.

I reckon that's our best team under the circumstances. So many players on that list aren't good enough at this level and how they've managed to have international careers is a mystery.

StephenZA

FFS what's up with those Test venues..
I`m just happy we got three tests.

Yeah won't be nice to see Steyn bowling on a flat graveyard of a pitch in front of empty stands on his last tour of India.
Unless he starts getting the ball to reverse early, then it may become a thing of beauty..... even if nobody but us see it on TV.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Honestly we all saw this coming. A mere look at the team shows how poor some of they players are. Morris, Duminy and Pretorius are not the type of players you can rely upon to win matches. Miller is hot and cold. Amla is bloody lucky to have made the team. It doesn't help that Otis Gibson is only a bowling coach IMO.

Amla
QDK
MARKRAM
FAF
RVD
Duminy
Miller
Phehlukwayo
Morris
Rabada
Tahir.

I reckon that's our best team under the circumstances. So many players on that list aren't good enough at this level and how they've managed to have international careers is a mystery.
Only Morris doesn't deserve an international career tbf.

Guys like Duminy and Miller have actually had really good ODI careers. Problem is they're playing like **** now, and don't have an in-form Amla or ABDV in front of them.

Also you forgot Steyn, who seems a possibility for the next game.

StephenZA

Guys like Duminy and Miller have actually had really good ODI careers. Problem is they're playing like **** now, and don't have an in-form Amla or ABDV in front of them.
Good careers is probably a bit generous. But it is also unfair as they both avg over 40 in the last 12 months. The disappointment is they have not improved. You would have hoped with the old stalwarts players retiring that they would step up and do the job, that is where they have failed. But brutally this was known 3 years ago (maybe not Miller) and probably a decisive decision needed to be made to pick some young good quality batsmen and hope they came right for the WC.

Ultimately, considering there is no obvious better choices than Duminy or Miller, It is the selection of Morris and Pretorius that make no sense. They don't really help our batting and they don't compare to the better bowlers available. A quality batsmen with potential (Verreynne), or a quality bowler (Dupavillion/Maharaj) or a potential great or experienced allrounder (Mulder/Philander) would have been better choices. They may not have done better, but they had the potential to do a great deal more and make a difference.

StephenZA

And right now, while our batting is weak, it is our bowling that is the real problem. How did Bangladesh get 330? All our top six have effectively scored some runs. Our bowlers have not done their job in restricting the opposition.

Dendarii

International Debutant
And right now, while our batting is weak, it is our bowling that is the real problem. How did Bangladesh get 330? All our top six have effectively scored some runs.
The problem hasn't been scoring runs, but rather seeing things through. In both matches so far we've been in touch with the run rate until the bowlers came in. So we needed more application from the batsmen, and I do think we missed Amla as he's the batsman best suited to bat deep while everyone plays around him.

Our bowlers have not done their job in restricting the opposition.
And yet, as I mentioned previously, our head coach is not only a bowling coach, but one who is familiar with English conditions. So poor bowling performances from our premier bowlers is on him to a large extent.

SeamUp

International Coach
It was Bangladesh's highest ever ODI score too :laugh:

That is how poor we have bowled. Mixture of poor plans, poor execution and a very good pitch.

The best one was bowling short outside off to Mushfiqur hoping he minces one to short point or backward point. :laugh:

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Leaning towards playing all 3 of Markram, Duminy, Miller for this game and hoping to get through 10 for Markram/Duminy.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Good careers is probably a bit generous. But it is also unfair as they both avg over 40 in the last 12 months. The disappointment is they have not improved. You would have hoped with the old stalwarts players retiring that they would step up and do the job, that is where they have failed. But brutally this was known 3 years ago (maybe not Miller) and probably a decisive decision needed to be made to pick some young good quality batsmen and hope they came right for the WC.

Ultimately, considering there is no obvious better choices than Duminy or Miller, It is the selection of Morris and Pretorius that make no sense. They don't really help our batting and they don't compare to the better bowlers available. A quality batsmen with potential (Verreynne), or a quality bowler (Dupavillion/Maharaj) or a potential great or experienced allrounder (Mulder/Philander) would have been better choices. They may not have done better, but they had the potential to do a great deal more and make a difference.
Miller averages just under 40 at a SR of 100. That's a good career. Not a great career, but certainly a good one.

Same for Duminy who averages 37 at a good strike rate and has also offered some overs with the ball.

My main issue I was trying to convey is that:

So many players on that list aren't good enough at this level and how they've managed to have international careers is a mystery.
Was incredibly unfair since only Morris in that XI was truly not ODI-quality. Pretorius obviously isn't good enough either but wasn't in that XI.