• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

SeamUp

International Coach
Beuran Hendricks in our 50-over comp.

Average(Economy)
2018/19: DNP
2017/18: 32,58 (5,07)
2016/17: 30,71 (6,06)
2015/16: 20,82 (4,80)

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The best thing I can say about Hendricks is he is not Parnell... at least he can still bowl to a plan.

Bahseph

International Debutant
He is a step up from Dala and Patterson imo. There's something there, just think he bowls a better FC length.

SeamUp

International Coach
With you guys.

When in doubt I would go Beuran with the left-arm variation over Dala, Paterson, Magala too.

Can swing the ball up front and has a decent cutter. Would have played him tomorrow if I could have tbh but that is because the only other options are Pretorius and Morris.

StephenZA

Can swing the ball up front and has a decent cutter. Would have played him tomorrow if I could have tbh but that is because the only other options are Pretorius and Morris.
Every time we have a problem at the moment, we keep seeing the huge glaring error of why the hell is Morris and Pretorius in our squad. Batting problems, bowling problems fielding problems. they solve nothing.

SeamUp

International Coach
Is he better than Philander though ?
We need bowlers capable of getting wickets with the ball up front but also capable of coming back for 2nd and 3rd spells.

Vernon is just too limited to do the above in limited overs cricket. When the ball is not doing anything he gets lined up. Always been an average List A bowler.

Heboric

International Debutant
Every time we have a problem at the moment, we keep seeing the huge glaring error of why the hell is Morris and Pretorius in our squad. Batting problems, bowling problems fielding problems. they solve nothing.
I think its just the all rounder conundrum. So rare to get quality ones. Plus a top 6 thats up and down doesnt help either

StephenZA

We need bowlers capable of getting wickets with the ball up front but also capable of coming back for 2nd and 3rd spells.

Vernon is just too limited to do the above in limited overs cricket. When the ball is not doing anything he gets lined up. Always been an average List A bowler.
With the way the ball has done a bit early on I don't think Philander would be a terrible choice. He is wily enough. You would need to bowl him 7 overs up front though.

StephenZA

I think its just the all rounder conundrum. So rare to get quality ones. Plus a top 6 thats up and down doesnt help either
Yes and no. They went with Andile (who has bowled excellently) and was playing a good little cameo until that Stokes catch, so did we really need 2 extra dodgy all rounders? 1 was bad enough.

Don't forget they replaced Nortje with Morris. Better bowlers sitting at home than Morris.

SeamUp

International Coach
With the way the ball has done a bit early on I don't think Philander would be a terrible choice. He is wily enough. You would need to bowl him 7 overs up front though.
He too will walk off injured with a pulled hammie. :laugh:

Have you seen the size of him lately ? Really concerning.

Imagine him bowling at the Oval and Rose Bowl where our first 4 games are ?

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Steyn :(

I almost hope he retires at this point, as much as I love him. He's clearly never going to recover from that injury. It's been 4 years now.

Bahseph

International Debutant
I've officially given up hope of us making the semis now. I just want to see performances with heart. Never would have guessed a year ago that we could potentially have Morris, Pretorious and Hendricks bowling for us in one WC. Crazy.

SeamUp

International Coach
So Indian tour is Rabada, Ngidi, Nortje and Dupavillion?
I wouldn't take Vernon to subcontinent. About speed and toil and probably going to play 2 spinners at least once or twice. Speed through the air for me so would love those 4.

Maybe determined by the A tour. CSA and selectors have always stuck to regimented plans. Nortje, Paterson, Dupavillon, Sipamla for that ? Dala/Magala only limited overs bowlers and will Hendricks go to this now that he is at the CWC and signed for the Carribean Premier League ?

Bahseph

International Debutant
Steyn :(

I almost hope he retires at this point, as much as I love him. He's clearly never going to recover from that injury. It's been 4 years now.
I don't think he wants to admit it. It probably makes it tougher knowing that the skill is there, but his shoulder can't hold up.