• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of Australia 2018/19

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This might be a controversial opinion, but I think the turning point of the series, possibly even the decisive factor, was the Melbourne toss. India weren't in a great place after Perth and had Aus batted first in Melbourne on that Day 1 deck, the series could have gone very differently.

(apparently Paine said that he might have bowled first in Melbourne anyway, but I don't buy that for a second)

Burgey

Here's a fun fact shamelessly stolen off Reddit

Pujara has faced 1258 balls this series so far, which is more than half the number of deliveries that Mitch Marsh has faced in his entire 31-Test career (2375)
I think he’s faced some ridiculous proportion of what the entire Australian top five or six has. Been a great series. I think as good as I’ve seen from a visiting batsman. Better than any other Indian batsman for mine, as this meant something in a series where his side could win. Something none before him can say. Blokes like Dravid in 04, Tendulkar at any time and Kohli last time here we’re really filling their boots in forlorn causes. Same with Vaughan in the 2001 Ashes. This is different. Only Cook in recent times has done anything similar

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
What happened to Pucovski? Why isn't he playing cricket these days? These youngsters need to grow a skin like Pakistani cricketers who are almost everyday in their lives are scrutinised by the media and still keep on playing for decades.
Playing club cricket instead of the bash

Burner

International Regular
I think he’s faced some ridiculous proportion of what the entire Australian top five or six has. Been a great series. I think as good as I’ve seen from a visiting batsman. Better than any other Indian batsman for mine, as this meant something in a series where his side could win. Something none before him can say. Blokes like Dravid in 04, Tendulkar at any time and Kohli last time here we’re really filling their boots in forlorn causes. Same with Vaughan in the 2001 Ashes. This is different. Only Cook in recent times has done anything similar
Yeah of course, Indian bowlers actually getting gud is entirely Pujara's doing just like their bowlers of yesteryear being trash were entirely the batsmen of yesteryear's faults as well 8-)

Cow Corner

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
The interesting point here is that the Aussie bowling attack has been sort of taken apart/ground down over the course of four days. Perhaps their batting is indeed weak, but this was touted as the best bowling line up in the world. I I think this bowling line up is worse than the South Africans and Indians, and maybe even New Zealand.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
I'm with this. There may be things that can be done to help along the players, but good players don't need systems. They make themselves good. We are just in an era of absence at the moment. It will turn around. I just don't want to have to wait another 10 years.
tbf this is exactly why i'm so critical of the whole pathways programs and the like.

but it could be as soon as six months. this is an awfully fickle sport; mitchell johnson went from being suspended for not doing his homework to annihilating the english lower order in about eight months

vcs

This might be a controversial opinion, but I think the turning point of the series, possibly even the decisive factor, was the Melbourne toss. India weren't in a great place after Perth and had Aus batted first in Melbourne on that Day 1 deck, the series could have gone very differently.

(apparently Paine said that he might have bowled first in Melbourne anyway, but I don't buy that for a second)
India didn't really run away with the game in that first innings. Bumrah blowing Australia away for 150 on that deck was a decisive moment, if you're looking for one.

Spark

Global Moderator
The interesting point here is that the Aussie bowling attack has been sort of taken apart/ground to the ground over the course of four days. Perhaps their batting is indeed weak, but this was touted as the best bowling line up in the world. I I think this bowling line up is worse than the South Africans and Indians, and maybe even New Zealand.
put the south africans and anyone else on similar pitches and no support from the batsmen and you're liable to see similar. i've seen it happen.

these players aren't superhumans. they get tired.

Burgey

Yeah of course, Indian bowlers actually getting gud is entirely Pujara's doing just like their bowlers of yesteryear being trash were entirely the batsmen of yesteryear's faults as well 8-)
This is not a difficult concept to grasp, but I will try to spell it out for you in slightly simpler terms.

There was no way Tendulkar in 99 was going to be on the winning end of the series against that Australian side. Likewise Kohli last time. Same with Vaughan in 03. This effort by Pujara, delivering at his most productive outside the SC in a tight series has been better than any of them. Only other Indian batsman to do it here would be Dravid in 04, but Australia lacked McGrath and Warne that one around. This time they had their first choice attack. He’s easily been the difference between the sides. Bloke has been enormous.

I thought Kohli would score heavily again this series, but tbh aside from the Perth ton which was top shelf, he’s not been anything spectacular. Then again, he hasn’t had to be. That’s largely down to Pujara, whose output has stood out this series like dogs balls.

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The interesting point here is that the Aussie bowling attack has been sort of taken apart/ground down over the course of four days. Perhaps their batting is indeed weak, but this was touted as the best bowling line up in the world. I I think this bowling line up is worse than the South Africans and Indians, and maybe even New Zealand.
And Kohli has still been average

Stefan9

International Debutant
put the south africans and anyone else on similar pitches and no support from the batsmen and you're liable to see similar. i've seen it happen.

these players aren't superhumans. they get tired.
They were outbowled on helpful pitches in SA as well. Also outbowled by SA in aus last time.

This aus attack bar Cummins is overrated. Has the worse average of all test playing nations in 2018.

TheJediBrah

India didn't really run away with the game in that first innings. Bumrah blowing Australia away for 150 on that deck was a decisive moment, if you're looking for one.
Well of course, but a big part of my logic is that being kept out in the field for 2 days in extreme heat probably played a pretty big role in Aus being bundled out for 150