• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of Australia 2018/19

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Who said bowl at the batsmen's pads or give them half volleys to drive?

Hit the top of off/middle and off. Bring LBW and bowled into equation. Don't let the batsmen leave the ball.
You know bowlers don't always bowl the ball exactly where they want right? And when they bowl half volleys or on the pads they don't do it on purpose?

I swear you're the same guy who lambasted Ishant on his previous tours for bowling too short and looking good but not doing what had to be done to actually take wickets.
You know Ishant was bowling to different batsmen with completely different styles and weaknesses right?

Australia's pace bowling isn't the problem with this side, but they clearly could have done a bit better IMO.
This is true though. No particular complaints about the strategy however.

Burgey

Who said bowl at the batsmen's pads or give them half volleys to drive?

Hit the top of off/middle and off. Bring LBW and bowled into equation. Don't let the batsmen leave the ball.

You'd have to be thick to constantly stick to a strategy that isn't working just because the batsman looks uncomfortable. I'm a big fan of playing cricket by your eyes and not the scoreboard, but this is getting extreme. Even if you soften up a batsman with short bowling, you're meant to get him out with a fuller ball. Because bowling a full length gets wickets. Bowling short doesn't. Cricket 101.

I swear you're the same guy who lambasted Ishant on his previous tours for bowling too short and looking good but not doing what had to be done to actually take wickets.

The Indian batsmen -Pujara especially- have shown pretty good restraint from Test 2 onwards, and have avoided playing at wide bowling or hooking/pulling when it isn't needed. They've been willing to bat ugly and grind it out. It's possible the bowlers missed a trick by not pitching it up a bit more. If a fast bowler genuinely believes 'well if I pitch it up I'll be hit for four' then he's a **** fast bowler. That's basically Ishant circa 2007. Absolutely useless.

Australia's pace bowling isn't the problem with this side, but they clearly could have done a bit better IMO. The numbers reflect that. Lots of factors of course, but the strategy is one of them.
Look custard nuts, they’ve bowed full to Pujara all series and it hasn’t worked. Bowling short to him yesterday *was* moving away from what they’ve been doing all series and which didn’t work. Jfc, why this is difficult to fathom is beyond me.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Geez this wicket is good for batting right now. Need to collect these last 4 so we cam get out there by tea.

Burgey

You know bowlers don't always bowl the ball exactly where they want right? And when they bowl half volleys or on the pads they don't do it on purpose?

You know Ishant was bowling to different batsmen with completely different styles and weaknesses right?

This is true though. No particular complaints about the strategy however.
Thank **** someone understands

Neil Pickup

Interesting reading the chat about Australia’s bowling plans, and lengths in particular, and contrasting it to England over the last decade.

Anderson and Broad have, very often, bowled a yard shorter than supporters in general seem to have wanted them to do, particularly when the ball hasn’t been doing a great deal. They’ve both been quick to revert to bowling dry and holding the run rate rather than searching for wickets they’ve decided are unlikely to come.

stephen

Imagine a world where Brayshaw has a legitimate and great sledge against another commentator.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
WHat is the highest first innings score in a losing cause? I was trying to Statsguru it. I'd guess somewhere between 475-500?

Neil Pickup

WHat is the highest first innings score in a losing cause? I was trying to Statsguru it. I'd guess somewhere between 475-500?
First innings or first/second innings?

England made a habit of making 400+ and then managing to lose by an innings in India last winter.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
OMG Warne pointing out that Kohli has his whites on. If that **** declares right now, I'm personally booking a ticket to Australia and I'll join in the booing.

Gnske

Interesting reading the chat about Australia’s bowling plans, and lengths in particular, and contrasting it to England over the last decade.

Anderson and Broad have, very often, bowled a yard shorter than supporters in general seem to have wanted them to do, particularly when the ball hasn’t been doing a great deal. They’ve both been quick to revert to bowling dry and holding the run rate rather than searching for wickets they’ve decided are unlikely to come.
Think the Anderson and Broad comparison is definitely relevant here.

Look friends different plans are fine, I advocated for Pujara getting bounced on day 1 after 10 minutes of him looking absolutely set for 150+. I think there's a difference between the perceived full length plans we've been bowling, and actual full length plans.

The reasons don't matter at the end of the day, the important thing is that we blame all 11 men out there equally and with complete contempt.

Neil Pickup

Anyway, a couple of years ago Bangladesh contrived to lose in Wellington having posted 595/8 in the first innings.

Here’s the Hall of Shame: 500+ has managed to lose 15 Test matches, and I’ve just been reminded of Adelaide 2006.

TheJediBrah

eh it's really just this series that Aus have used this plan so consistently. Most of the time they'll have a plan much closer to what Broad & Anderson would employ.