• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of Australia 2018/19

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Looking forward to Pritvi and Agarwal opening for India in the future. Such exiting stroke makers. What was Agarwal doing all these years. If Agarwal opened the batting in Eng who knows end results could have been different.
... or he could have nicked off in a summer where the batting was trial by fire, been left out of this series and India might have recalled Wasim Jaffer. Unlikely, but playing what-if goes both ways...!

OverratedSanity

Dunno about this - does much get made of the famed 2003/04 tour that was drawn? No McGrath or Warne
All the time. Althugh that team still had Jason 'better than James Anderson' Gillespie, Macgill and an underrated Bichel + probably the greatest batting lineup ever.

TheJediBrah

celebrated too hard, apparently. work that one out.

people have been saying that some australian players would never hear the end of it if they went on like that - well, sure. maybe take it up with the wowser brigade who enforce such things and ensured that australia is missing its two best players for this series
I hated it when Aus players did that. Shane Watson taking a wicket was disgusting. The **** would get someone caught at mid-wicket for 150 from a slow straight half-volley and scream his head off as if he's won the World Cup.

I don't really understand this "don't boo the opposition" business. It's different with personal attacks, or the racist attacks like what Symonds had to go through. Those are not acceptable. But it's just booing. Who cares? What's wrong with it?
Senile Sentry cares. No one else does. You're right, it's not big deal at all.

Spark

Global Moderator
Sorry I'm not sure what you think im arguing. Im saying we boo those who have bad personalities. Kohli was a **** in 2017 and I spose we haven't forgotten. He also called Paine a part time captain. Clarke was seen as a douche by the public and Waugh took money for information.
this is just objectively not true. witness: all the players who have had obviously odious personalities and were not just booed, but were venerated.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
India must thank Aussie pacers for ending the Vijay Rahul experiment for good. Both deserve to be nowhere near the whites with current form or attitude.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I hated it when Aus players did that. Shane Watson taking a wicket was disgusting. The **** would get someone caught at mid-wicket for 150 from a slow straight half-volley and scream his head off as if he's won the World Cup.

At least Watto mellowed to just screaming into the air with his head snapped back

OverratedSanity

Nice to see Pant not play like a maniac. Thought some of the criticism of his batting this series was a little unfair considering the horrendous tail he has to bat with.

TheJediBrah

Dunno about this - does much get made of the famed 2003/04 tour that was drawn? No McGrath or Warne
Yeah it definitely does. I did actually say earlier in this thread that I think Warner/Smith missing was a much bigger loss to this team than McGrath & Warne were to that team. It seems worse too that it wasn't injury keeping Warner & Smith out but a completely optional and absurd "punishment".

trundler

Australia are out of this. Unless the Indians bet against themselves to lose and there's a Headingley 81' sort of performance around the corner.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Sorry I'm not sure what you think im arguing. Im saying we boo those who have bad personalities. Kohli was a **** in 2017 and I spose we haven't forgotten. He also called Paine a part time captain. Clarke was seen as a douche by the public and Waugh took money for information.
Paine is a part time captain.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The Alinta energy ad where Cummins backups ridiculously was Watson's standard celebration.

Burgey

idk i feel top of off stump for all its foibles, has merely worked to every single batsman in world history
Yeah and they did that the first hour yesterday and got mercilessly pumped. Fine if it’s doing a bit but it wasn’t. The bloke is in ridiculous form and the area he likes it least is something bouncing on him.

Same with the young bloke who opens - as soon as they went short to him he looked like getting out nigh every ball. Fact he got through it was far more down to good luck than him coping with it.

Then he goes and Kohli comes in - and it’s universally accepted they’ve bowled too full to him all summer. So I get it’s frustratong when it doesn’t come off, but I’d rather see a bloke pop a few up and there be a semblance of a chance than basically just bowl to his strengths all day.

cnerd123

likes this
As opposed to the “we definitely do know he likes to drive and play off his pads so let’s bowl there all day” strategy which would doubtless have seen him knocked over for 15.

Fmd I’d love to bat against you blokes as opposing captains:

“Where does this bloke score least?”

“Doesn’t hook or pull, has popped a **** load up which haven’t gone to hand this series. Plays away from his body when defending to off when playing off the back dog too.

He loves to drive and is immense working it from middle and off through midwicket off his pads though.”

“Ok, let’s run with the latter then.”

Move over Mike Brearley.
Who said bowl at the batsmen's pads or give them half volleys to drive?

Hit the top of off/middle and off. Bring LBW and bowled into equation. Don't let the batsmen leave the ball.

You'd have to be thick to constantly stick to a strategy that isn't working just because the batsman looks uncomfortable. I'm a big fan of playing cricket by your eyes and not the scoreboard, but this is getting extreme. Even if you soften up a batsman with short bowling, you're meant to get him out with a fuller ball. Because bowling a full length gets wickets. Bowling short doesn't. Cricket 101.

I swear you're the same guy who lambasted Ishant on his previous tours for bowling too short and looking good but not doing what had to be done to actually take wickets.

The Indian batsmen -Pujara especially- have shown pretty good restraint from Test 2 onwards, and have avoided playing at wide bowling or hooking/pulling when it isn't needed. They've been willing to bat ugly and grind it out. It's possible the bowlers missed a trick by not pitching it up a bit more. If a fast bowler genuinely believes 'well if I pitch it up I'll be hit for four' then he's a **** fast bowler. That's basically Ishant circa 2007. Absolutely useless.

Australia's pace bowling isn't the problem with this side, but they clearly could have done a bit better IMO. The numbers reflect that. Lots of factors of course, but the strategy is one of them.

TheJediBrah

Same with the young bloke who opens - as soon as they went short to him he looked like getting out nigh every ball. Fact he got through it was far more down to good luck than him coping with it.
This is very true. We shouldn't get carried away about Agarwal at this stage.

Burgey

Brett Lee was the worst. Would knock over 9, 10 or Jack and pull out the chainsaw then carry on as though he’d bowled Bradman for a duck.